Ok, we can talk about Ed now

Advertisement
Not defending this guy and I know I will be negged to oblivion but never was a fan of specific cases like this. He is 19 years old and technically could be arrested for having *** with a 17 year old senior in HS if the parent wanted to be pricks about it. Is that really a crime? How many people on here were freshmen in college and had a fling with a HS senior or maybe HS junior. I am not sure of the girls age but these cases are always really sketchy to me. Neg away.

Advertisement
Not defending this guy and I know I will be negged to oblivion but never was a fan of specific cases like this. He is 19 years old and technically could be arrested for having *** with a 17 year old senior in HS if the parent wanted to be pricks about it. Is that really a crime? How many people on here were freshmen in college and had a fling with a HS senior or maybe HS junior. I am not sure of the girls age but these cases are always really sketchy to me. Neg away.

There are two counts of "aggravated sexual assault"
The girl could be under the age of 14
They spent a year investigating this case
It's ******* serious

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two counts of "aggravated sexual assault"
The girl is most likely under the age of 14
They spent a year investigating this case
It's ******* serious

If that girl was under 14 they should put his a$$ under the jail. We talking about an 7th-8th grader potentially. smh. And if LSU knows this is the age of the girl there is no way he should even still be on the team at all. Especially if what you say is true that they have been on this case for a year and have iron clad evidence.

If that girl was under 14 they should put his a$$ under the jail. We talking about an 7th-8th grader potentially. smh. And if LSU knows this is the age of the girl there is no way he should even still be on the team at all. Especially if what you say is true that they have been on this case for a year and have iron clad evidence.

It happened in Texas, so that LSU broom isn't going to be able get this one under the rug.

Advertisement
Not sure if there are Roemo and Juliet laws in Texas but most states have them in place to protect 18 year olds who have consensual *** with 17 year olds. I'm pretty sure in Florida if you're between 18-20 it is not considered statutory rape if the consensual partner is 16 or older.

I somehow managed to make it through HS without any rape charges.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Ugh. No. Almost every state in the union has a sliding scale to prevent this exact sort of issue.

Advertisement
The guy is kicked off the team and this happened before he was ever even on campus... Im no O fan but this isnt his fault.. What was he supposed to do. He found out what the kid did and kicked him off the team

I was talking about Ed Ingram, not Ed Orgeron.

Usually, states have conditions for statutory rape laws. In FL, the younger person can be 16, as long as the older person is 23 or under. It handles the freshman in college/high school senior relationships that happen all the time.

Advertisement
Usually, states have conditions for statutory rape laws. In FL, the younger person can be 16, as long as the older person is 23 or under. It handles the freshman in college/high school senior relationships that happen all the time.
Texas, the state with jurisdiction in this case, has no such laws.

Sounds like all the "Esquires" got in the room on this one..lol. So in short, sounds like this kid is phucked.

Texas does not have a close-in-age exemption. Close in age exemptions, commonly known as "Romeo and Juliet laws", are put in place to prevent the prosecution of individuals who engage in consensual sexual activity when both participants are significantly close in age to each other, and one or both partners are below the age of consent.

Because there is no such "Romeo and Juliet law" in Texas, it is possible for two individuals both under the age of 17 who willingly engage in intercourse to both be prosecuted for statutory rape, although this is rare. Similarly, no protections are reserved for sexual relations in which one participant is a 16 year old and the second is a 17 or 18 year old.

Texas has five statutory sexual abuse charges on the books which are used to prosecute age of consent and child abuse related crimes within the state. One or more of these charges may be used to prosecute violations of the Texas Age of Consent, as statutory rape or the Texas equivalent of that charge.

The severity of the criminal charge (felony, misdemeanor, etc) depends on the specifics of the acts committed and the relative ages of the perpetrator and victim.

- Aggravated sexual assault - Felony of the first degree - Maximum of life in prison and/or a maximum fine of $10,000
- Continuous sexual abuse of a young child or children - Felony of the first degree - Maximum of life in prison and/or a maximum fine of $10,000
- Indecency with a child - Felony of the second degree; Felony of the third degree - Maximum of 20 years in prison and/or a maximum fine of $10,000; Maximum of 10 years in prison and/or a maximum fine of $10,000
- Prohibited sexual conduct - Felony of the second degree; Felony of the third degree - Maximum of 20 years in prison and/or a maximum fine of $10,000; Maximum of 10 years in prison and/or a maximum fine of $10,000
- Sexual assault - Felony of the first degree - Maximum of life in prison and/or a maximum fine of $10,000

You should have read the second paragraph of the website you pulled this from a bit more carefully. The age of consent in Texas is 17, which is reinforced in several statutes. But that's where the first half of the article loses its veracity.

Under Texas Penal Code 22.011(e)(2), it is an affirmative defense to a claim of sexual assault if the actor was "not more than three years older than the victim" and the victim "was a child of 14 years or older." So, under the Texas Penal Code, it is statutory rape to have *** with somebody under seventeen — unless you are within three years of age of the younger person and the younger person is at least fourteen. Thus, and contrary to the quoted passage, Texas does have some protections in place for proximity in age. But, because it is an affirmative defense (which must be raised by the defendant in response to a charge), a Texas prosecutor with an ax to grind or just having a rough week or who hates l$u football could still bring charges against someone within the 3 year window provided by the statute (but that person would likely be acquitted eventually upon proof that he and the alleged victim were within 3 years in age).

But all of the above deals with "ordinary" sexual assault. The article says Ed was charged with two counts of "aggravated sexual assault of a minor." Pursuant to Texas Penal Code 22.021, the factors that change a sexual assault from "ordinary" to "aggravated" under Texas law are:
  • Causes serious bodily injury or attempting to cause the death of the victim or someone else in the course of the crime;
  • Places the victim in fear that they or another person will be seriously physically hurt, killed, kidnapped, or trafficked;
  • Threatens to seriously physically harm, kill, kidnap, or traffic another person;
  • Uses or exhibit a deadly weapon during the crime;
  • Acts in concert with another person who also sexual assaults the victim during the same course of criminal conduct; or
  • Administers a substance that impairs the victim’s ability to judge the nature of your conduct or resist; or
  • Assaults a child under the age of 14 years, regardless of whether you knew the child’s age at the time of the sexual conduct.
So, the State of Texas is not just alleging that Ed had *** with a minor; they are alleging he also either: (1) physically hurt her or tried to kill her; (2) placed her in fear of injury, murder, kidnapping, or trafficking; (3) threatened to seriously hurt her, kill her, kidnap her, or traffic her; (4) used a deadly weapon; (5) involved another individual in the assault (a second perpetrator); (6) drugged her or otherwise impaired her judgment; or (7) the girl was under the age of 14.

This post is not intended as legal advice. Please consult an attorney licensed in Texas for any questions you may have about Texas's statutory rape laws (especially if your name is Ed Ingram).

Advertisement
Back