Ok, just got back from the Chaminade-Serra game(Brad Kayaa).

Advertisement
Glad someone got our staff on Dymond Lee. I was impressed. Dude can play.

Liked what I saw from Kaaya. His biggest issue is accuracy. If he gets more accurate the sky is the limit.

Advertisement
and I have to say it's one of the best high school games I've ever seen. And 'Handsome Brad Kayaa' showed something tonight. Yeah, stats are telling, but it's about leading and winning. Kayaa was that tonight, a guy who led and found a way to win. That Serra team( which blew out 'the Nade' 36-0 in their first match-up) was loaded, they have at least a dozen guy going to the next level led by Adoree Jackson, of course. That squad reminded me of those really good Long Beach Poly, Miami Northwester, Booker T. squads. Size, athleticism, nastiness and play-makers all over

Chaminade has some really good players, guys like Dymond Lee( who Kayaa Sr. made the Miami staff aware off) and Donovon Lee and a kid going to UCLA( the defensive back) but Kayaa was the glue tonight. What was impressive was how he hung in there, let plays develop, hit throws, but never, took a sack.

And the scary thing is, I actually think he's got a huge ceiling, his coach, Ed Croson, by nature is a very conservative, run-first-second-and-third coach and he's never thrown this much. Yet, he still has Kayaa run toss plays where he ends up blocking on the edge. It's not a QB-friendly system, per say, yet this kid shows flashes where you see the upside and the possibilities.

Down 35-21, Kayaa made some key throws and somehow beat a very talented Serra squad on a last second field goal, 38-35. I went to the game with his father and he told me on the way that the home visit with James Coley was very good. Angela Means told me afterwords that during this visit, 'HBK' told Coley,"I'm going to find a way to win this game." He wouldn't let his team down. That throw down the seam to Lee(#21) on 3rd down on that last drive was pure Jerry West.

-- One last note, that big WR, Breydon Lineas( someone may want to check my spelling) #81 was the toughest match-up on the field. He drew at least 4 pass interferences and I think this young man has a huge upside. He's already 6'4, about 220 and while a senior, he's just 16 years old. I can absolutely imagine in a few years being 6'6 and bulking up to 245 and again, in a different system where he's moved around, will be an absolute mis-match machine out wide and in the slot. He dropped one ball but overall, he was a problem that Serra never quite figured out. He was an X-factor.

Very nice kid, too.

- But what a night. I can't wait to see Kayaa wear the orange-and-green...

K9-
Based on the last sentence in your post it seems like you think he sticks. What do you put the percentages at that he does? Are you a friend of the family or something that you went to the game with his father? Do you know what their thoughts are on the Sarkisian hire?

I still think it's very high. Again, I think UM being first on the scene is very important, they really like James Coley and I know that the father is very aware of what Al Golden is building in Coral Gables( and yeah, we talked about Stacy Coley on the way up. Like the rest of us, he was amazed by #3 and his exploits)

Kaaya's form to me looks like Peyton Manning, not saying he"ll be that but thats who I see him most like

It's his mannerisms in the pocket and yes they are reminiscent of Peyton. He has great feet just like Peyton does and they are able to slide around the pocket, evade rushers and reset themselves to throw strikes. Doesn't hurt that Kaaya has a ton of arm talent as well.

God I hope we keep this kid!! Thanks for the updates k9!

and I have to say it's one of the best high school games I've ever seen. And 'Handsome Brad Kayaa' showed something tonight. Yeah, stats are telling, but it's about leading and winning. Kayaa was that tonight, a guy who led and found a way to win. That Serra team( which blew out 'the Nade' 36-0 in their first match-up) was loaded, they have at least a dozen guy going to the next level led by Adoree Jackson, of course. That squad reminded me of those really good Long Beach Poly, Miami Northwester, Booker T. squads. Size, athleticism, nastiness and play-makers all over

Chaminade has some really good players, guys like Dymond Lee( who Kayaa Sr. made the Miami staff aware off) and Donovon Lee and a kid going to UCLA( the defensive back) but Kayaa was the glue tonight. What was impressive was how he hung in there, let plays develop, hit throws, but never, took a sack.

And the scary thing is, I actually think he's got a huge ceiling, his coach, Ed Croson, by nature is a very conservative, run-first-second-and-third coach and he's never thrown this much. Yet, he still has Kayaa run toss plays where he ends up blocking on the edge. It's not a QB-friendly system, per say, yet this kid shows flashes where you see the upside and the possibilities.

Down 35-21, Kayaa made some key throws and somehow beat a very talented Serra squad on a last second field goal, 38-35. I went to the game with his father and he told me on the way that the home visit with James Coley was very good. Angela Means told me afterwords that during this visit, 'HBK' told Coley,"I'm going to find a way to win this game." He wouldn't let his team down. That throw down the seam to Lee(#21) on 3rd down on that last drive was pure Jerry West.

-- One last note, that big WR, Breydon Lineas( someone may want to check my spelling) #81 was the toughest match-up on the field. He drew at least 4 pass interferences and I think this young man has a huge upside. He's already 6'4, about 220 and while a senior, he's just 16 years old. I can absolutely imagine in a few years being 6'6 and bulking up to 245 and again, in a different system where he's moved around, will be an absolute mis-match machine out wide and in the slot. He dropped one ball but overall, he was a problem that Serra never quite figured out. He was an X-factor.

Very nice kid, too.

- But what a night. I can't wait to see Kayaa wear the orange-and-green...

K9-
Based on the last sentence in your post it seems like you think he sticks. What do you put the percentages at that he does? Are you a friend of the family or something that you went to the game with his father? Do you know what their thoughts are on the Sarkisian hire?

I still think it's very high. Again, I think UM being first on the scene is very important, they really like James Coley and I know that the father is very aware of what Al Golden is building in Coral Gables( and yeah, we talked about Stacy Coley on the way up. Like the rest of us, he was amazed by #3 and his exploits)

I watched the whole game last nite I really like kayaa but those refs seemed like they had an agenda for those serra kids not to win but like you guys have said with moretime and reps he will be a beast. missed on a couple nine routes but over the middle was a thing of beauty

Advertisement
Two really great qualities I noticed last night are his vision in the middle of the field (hitting posts/square ins) and his willingness to let his receivers make plays. He's not afraid to throw to covered guys and let them make a play. There are some small issues I have with his feet and his ball placement was erratic at times, but he's a really advanced player overall and a fantastic prospect. Also,

Angela Means told me afterwords that during this visit, 'HBK' told Coley,"I'm going to find a way to win this game." He wouldn't let his team down.

1.jpg

I am just happy to see a QB that can throw the ball over the middle of the field with touch!! It is such a missing part of our Offense, and it sure would be nice to get back to using the TE over the middle of the field.

Susan Miller Degnan ‏@smillerdegnan 5m
LB Jermaine Grace pick six off #Canes QB Kevin Olsen. Olsen has thrown 2 pick sixes today.

Advertisement
Not trying to pile on here, but just from how the coaches talk about Olsen, I think they wonder whether or not the kid has "it" between the ears. Physically he is impressive, but its the intangibles I worry about with Olsen. Kaaya is a must get. I think he'll be better than Olsen, and if he can EE, he starts. I've said before, and I am sticking to it.

He just looks too erratic for me to get on board with him starting as a freshman.

Let him come in, compete for the job and probably redshirt. 2015 is when you start to think seriously about a Kayaa led offence.

Advertisement
Not trying to pile on here, but just from how the coaches talk about Olsen, I think they wonder whether or not the kid has "it" between the ears. Physically he is impressive, but its the intangibles I worry about with Olsen. Kaaya is a must get. I think he'll be better than Olsen, and if he can EE, he starts. I've said before, and I am sticking to it.

The Olsen comments are pure mind games.

My take on it is that they're desperate for him to take the starting job next year. That means that he can't slack off during his redshirt year (which I imagine is so easy to do). The fact that he was travelling with the team suggests that he took their words on board and upped his game.

This kid is going to fight and claw to get on the field and will only make everyone around him better.

Advertisement
Back