Offseasons: 2019 vs. 2020

UFan90

Freshman
I dont start threads normally but wanted to talk about the differences between offseasons.

To me the glaring difference is proven commodities in 2020 vs. perceived projection in 2019.

From Dan Enos to Tate Martell, 2019 was a big gamble for Manny based off of his beliefs. Enos was a hot name, a one time opponent of Manny and he got caught up in what he believed Enos could bring. Same with Martell, a high quality recruit but unproven college QB. The coaches hyped them like crazy. The proven players he brought in, like KJ and Hill worked out pretty well, the unknowns bit him hard.

Fast forward to this year, he has gotten established coaches, established players that will 100% help us be more productive. Lashlee comes with experience in multiple leagues with success. From Malzahn to Dykes, he has been successful at his craft. Garin played for Rich Rod, understands line play in a high tempo O. Likens coached for Dykes, called plays for Herm in high offensive Pac 12. Roche player of the year in his conference. King tied for 5th in Heisman odds, was a proven commodity coming out of Houston offense that was fast paced.

Not nearly as much talk this year as last....more show me approach by Manny.

I think that Manny learned quick. If you are going to be hands off on offense you need people to question the OC. Bringing in guys with OC experience helps with that. Bringing in someone like Ed Reed who can assist is film study, practice planning and evals is incredible. Unlike past coaches, Manny realizes his job depends on this year, getting the ship righted.

Sorry for the novel. What differences do you guys see? Agree, disagree....Offseason as a whole.

Advertisement
Really like the hires and the low key manner in which Manny is acting. Hoping to see something special at the Spring Game.

The single biggest misstep was Enos. Most every other preventable staff/scheme issue stemmed from him. I honestly think Manny thought the culture issue would resolve itself with a new staff.

Advertisement
Pretty similar preseason. The only difference is we have seen Manny coach.

Hot shot qb coming in and new exciting OC.

The whole country assumed Tate would immediately start because he was supposed to be at another level. Posts of his highlights as a backup at OSU showed up to "prove" their points. Now we have King who hasn't taken practice reps (unless he did scout team) since week 4. He played against weak defenses (not that he'll face any dominant defense here) before that. His numbers were so ridiculous that I'm very hopefully. Certainly not proven until he gets here and plays.

Last year people wanted a motion and they got that in Enos. Threads were started showing analysis of Enos at Arkansas. Lots of hype saying he was a proven and experienced across multiple leagues. His offenses would have answers for every situation, blah blah blah. It would be a "multiple" type of "spread." Funny people accuse him if having a power run offense mid-season even though we hardly ran the ball... Anyway we have an exciting up-and-comer OC with some big time play call experience in the SEC and an exciting offense at SMU.

The only thing I see is Manny seems to listen to social media (and probably message boards) more than most coaches. Making all the moves the consensus arm-chair coaches want him to make. He really seems like he's trying to buy time while he learns on the job. Maybe it will work. I don't know.

Past experience at least should temper the hype. Maybe not call someone "the guy" or a "stud" if we beat Wagner.

Really like the hires and the low key manner in which Manny is acting. Hoping to see something special at the Spring Game.
Would not count on being blown away by offense in spring game. I expect to see better offense but it takes time to install whole new offense

On the surface, he has made the right moves with his new offensive hires, two proven elite players in Roche and King.

All the Diseased players transferring.

bringing in Reed.

my only issue is he didn’t make any moves on his defense staff. I think some moves needed to be made there but he isn’t willing to admit his defense is not very good.

Advertisement
Negative people say “new OC, new QB, same as last year”. Frankly, that’s just a lazy assumption but it’s understandable how casual fans might think this. In 2019 we were sold on the potential of Dan Enos and Tate Martell. Enos was a strange hire because I (and many others here) were assuming Manny was going to go with a more modern style of offense. Enos’ track record as an OC was hit and miss but he showed a propensity towards the more pro-style, ground and pound offense which made no sense to me at a place like Miami. When he came in he made the comment that he was going to run a “spread coast” offense which got us excited. Then the season started and he ran the same garbage he ran at Arkansas. We were sold a bill of goods but got something completely different.
Martell was a hot shot recruit but played sparingly at OSU. He was a welcome addition but hardly a proven commodity. Optimism was 100% based on potential not proven ability.
Fast forward to 2020 and now you’re bringing in an OC with a proven track record. He’s had success at previous jobs while working under power spread guru Gus Malzahn and Air Raid guru Sonny Dykes. Not only does his offense better fit the talent on hand, we know exactly what we’re getting. He’s not selling us on one thing while actually trying something else.
The D’Erick King transfer was almost as big a deal. Instead of hoping one of the 3 stooges can pick up Lashlee’s offense in year one, we have a plug and play option who’s as proven a commodity as you will EVER see in a transfer quarterback. Heisman candidate quarterbacks DON’T transfer but we managed to get one somehow. He’s a fifth year senior who’s not only a proven star on the field but commands respect in the huddle and locker room. It’s a ******* insult to compare Tate Martell to D’Erick King.
Nothing is a lock. We all know that. However if you’re asking me to back something, I’m going to put my faith in proven commodities 10 times out of 10 over guys with potential who have proven nothing.

Advertisement
Back