Official selection committee thread

Advertisement
Usually the number 1 seed is supposed to have the easiest road. I can't say that for Indiana. Syracuse, UNLV, NCST is a lot tougher than Illinois, Colorado, Marquette, and Butler.....on paper.

Butler always seems to be that team that has a big upset or scares the **** out of a higher seed during the tourney...

I guess I'll start
MW Bracket
Missouri over Louisville
Creighton over Duke
Creighton over Mich ST
Midwest Elite 8 Missouri over Creighton
Midwest Final four Representative: Missouri

South Bracket
Michigan over Kansas
South Elite 8 Michigan over Georgetown
South Final Four Representative: Michigan

East Bracket
Syracuse over Indiana
East Elite 8: Miami over Syracuse
East Final Four Representative: Miami

West Bracket
Pitt over Gonzaga
Wisc over Kansas State
Arizona over UNM
Arizona over Ohio State
West Elite 8 Arizona over Wisconsin

Final Four
Arizona Vs Miami
Michigan vs Missouri

Championship
Miami vs Missouri

There's so many different ways that could've gone so obviously making brackets is always tough.
I think Creighton is a little bit underrated.

Last edited:
I guess I'll start
MW Bracket
Missouri over Louisville
Creighton over Duke
Creighton over Mich ST

South Bracket
Michigan over Kansas

East Bracket
Syracuse over Indiana

West Bracket
Pitt over Gonzaga
Wisc over Kansas State
Arizona over UNM
Arizona over Ohio State

Final Four
Arizona Vs Miami
Michigan vs Missouri

Championship
Miami vs Missouri

There's so many different ways that could've gone so obviously making brackets is always tough.

no way in **** corch hiff even gets out of the first round

Advertisement
One can never count out mizzou though. They are a scary team to play because you don't know which Mizzou team will show up

Advertisement
One can never count out mizzou though. They are a scary team to play because you don't know which Mizzou team will show up

Talent? Sure.

Coaching? Weak.

They are awfully inconsistent. The key in the tourney is, especially in the opening rounds is playing flawless basketball fundamentals and having the coaching staff scouting the opposition and putting together a sound scouting report to attack. Missouri sorely lacks any of this.

These are the only teams I can see making the Final Four from each bracket

Midwest Final Four Contenders
1. Louisville
2. Duke
3. Michigan St.
4. Creighton
5. Oregon

South
1. Kansas
2. Florida
3.UNC
4. Michigan
5.UCLA
6. Georgetown
I'm iffy on Georgetown for the tourney. I don't believe they'll make it to the final four.

East Bracket
1. Miami
2. Indiana
3.Syracuse
4. UNLV

I think the final four selection in the east will go to one of those teams

West
1. Ohio State
2. Wisconsin
3. New Mexico
4. Pittsburgh
5. Arizona

I don't see one of those teams not making the Final four in their respective Brackets. But it's March Madness!!! So who knows?
Some Cindarella team is gonna come and ruin my expectations as usual. Especially in this year with no truly dominant teams.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Orangebowl and gamineal you guys are right about the coaching.
I just think if Flip (Phil Pressey) and co. get hot they'll be a tough out. Even with CSU's Bigs.

Advertisement
I guess I'll start
MW Bracket
Missouri over Louisville
Creighton over Duke
Creighton over Mich ST

South Bracket
Michigan over Kansas

East Bracket
Syracuse over Indiana

West Bracket
Pitt over Gonzaga
Wisc over Kansas State
Arizona over UNM
Arizona over Ohio State

Final Four
Arizona Vs Miami
Michigan vs Missouri

Championship
Miami vs Missouri

What the **** are you talking about?

Gonzaga just bearly beat us out for the one seed the committee chairman just said

We probably didn't want to be a number one seed, if history and common sense are any indication. Number one seeds that were unranked in preseason have an abysmal history in the tournament. In fact, laughable. Dozens of failures without even reaching the Final Four. I've seen it broken down on betting sites countless times. Last season's example was Michigan State.

Here's an article with some related trends, on teams that spring out of nowhere and how they generally fare:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...this-march-from-miami-heres-what-history-says

I realize this won't be received positively, since it doesn't jive with picking the Canes. But it fits a theme I've used for more than 15 years, to rely on preseason ratings throughout the year in college basketball, and football, to somewhat lesser degree. The idea is that regular season results basically mean nothing, that everything tends to drift back to the beginning. For every high profile example of a preseason flop, like USC in football last season, there are countless times in which the preseason numbers tell you one thing while the conventional wisdom of the moment says something else. Preseason invariably wins.

I was scoffed at when I began using this approach in 1996. Within a few weeks my friends were peering over my shoulder, asking what the preseason number was for this team or that team. In postseason college basketball it's extraordinarily common for teams that were rated higher in preseason to spring so-called upsets. They aren't upsets at all, merely the disguised superior team, winning as it should. I remember **** Vitale getting it right by naming Connecticut above Duke in preseason '98-'99, then idiotically switching his pick and joining the crowd in picking Duke prior to the game. Based on what, the trivia of current form? Connecticut rightfully prevailed. The money line was very sweet, attached to that +9.5 point spread.

I'm not saying it works every time...but far more often than it rightfully should. The numbers are suspect when the team rated higher in preseason is downgraded based on something that happened later. And I have no idea how we can be thrilled with this bracket, not when Indiana was number one in most preseason polls, Syracuse was also within the top ten, and Butler made many preseason lists in the 20-25 range.

Awsi Dodger, I admit I didn't read the article or most of what you said.

Ignoring the Canes, this year feels really off in terms of how many teams entered and exited the top 10/5. In addition, how many teams held the #1 spot?

Statistical analysis has outliers as well.

Advertisement
Back