***Official New Canes FB coach thread***

Advertisement
I'll throw an offbeat name out there...

Bill Cowher.

He would be beyond a home run IMO. I've heard the occasional rumor that he would be interested in taking the NC State job, if/when it were to come available, as he lives in Raleigh, NC. It would be a huge coup to get Cowher to (1) come back to coaching, (2) to take a college job and (3) get him to take the UM gig.

Football wise its a boring time of year so I thought this might spicen things up. I saw this on another board and thought it was a good idea when the inevitable happens and Golden is fired this season. They separated their potential coaching hires into the following categories below. I think it helped galvanize their fans to provide one voice of what the fans were willing to accept. So this can be added to at any point in the season but I will start.

Home Runs-Chip Kelly, Gary Paterson, Mark Dantonio

Triple-Butch, Jim Mora, Dan Mullen, Rich Rodriguez, Charlie Strong

Double- Greg Schiano, Mark Stoops, Tom Herman, Pat Narduzzi, Rob Chudziniski

Single-Doug Marrone, Lane Kiffin, Kriby Smart, Chad Morris, Scott Frost, Mario Cristobal

I think where is program is right now they must hit a home run with their next hire if they want to compete for a championship. A triple would put us in the top 10 but not in the NC picture. A double puts back in the national conversation (top 25). A single keeps us at status quo.

Chip: Homer, can't miss! (we'd have to pay him $5MM - )

Patterson: Triple (not leaving TCU)
Dantonio: Double (Midwest style won't fit SoFl - very boring offensive philosophy)
Butch: Double (improvement on Golden, but won't reach level expected by those thinking he is the answer)
Mora: Double (he's a west coast guy, not coming to SoFl)
Mullen: Triple (We should have hired him after firing Shannon)
Rodriguez: Triple (Along with Mullen, is at the top of my list)
Strong: Triple (But there is no way he would voluntarily leave Texas for Miami)
Schiano: Double (he's hungry and humbled. If he really has evolved, could become a triple)
Stoops: Double (would be a notch below Mullen & RichRod, for me)
Herman: Single (maybe he will develop, but I doubt the OSU offense will miss him)
Narduzzi: Single (He's the defensive version of Herman, IMO)
Chud: Double (I think he would be a triple if he was 100% in the college game. But he ain't leaving the NFL)

Marrone: Triple (I actually think Marrone would be my first call. I have him above Mullen and RichRod)
Kiffin: Double (Depending on how much maturity he develops, could become a triple. Still needs more discipline in play calls)
Smart: Single (That D is ALL Nick Saban, IMO)
Morris: Double (Offense would be fun. Doubt he would want to leave Texas. I think he's better than Herman, Narduzzi, Smart, and Frost)
Frost: Single (West Coast guy ... And that Oregon system is on auto-pilot)
Cristobal: Single (He's Al Golden, with more Miami connections)

Justin Fuente: Double (I actually think he would become a triple, and is above Mark Stoops, IMO. Still after Mullen and RichRod, though)
Todd Graham: Double (Quality coach - Seems more like a Southwest guy. I think he and Chad Morris are on the same level)
Mark Hudspeth: Single (Seems like a better SoFl fit, but not sure he's really an upgrade. Also heard him use "wind" as a reason for a loss.)

So, I'd first call Chip Kelly

Then, Marrone, Mullen, and RichRod ... In that order.

Then, Stoops and Fuente.

After that ... I'd "settle" for Kiffin or Schiano. No matter what folks think of them, both have NFL experience and both specialize on one side of the ball at really high levels. And if we get turned down by the first six, it's fair to say we wouldn't be "settling" at all.

Kelly and Marrone might want to stay in the NFL ...

But if we can't get a guy to leave Mississippi State, UK, or Memphis for the Miami job, we need to accept what we have become. And Kiffin or Schiano would be great fits, if that is the case.

Advertisement
GENUINE, FOR REAL, CERTIFIED COACHING LIST:

[video=youtube;HXuBnz6vtuI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXuBnz6vtuI[/video]

Advertisement
Back