***Official New Canes FB coach thread***

pimpcane1

Junior
Football wise its a boring time of year so I thought this might spicen things up. I saw this on another board and thought it was a good idea when the inevitable happens and Golden is fired this season. They separated their potential coaching hires into the following categories below. I think it helped galvanize their fans to provide one voice of what the fans were willing to accept. So this can be added to at any point in the season but I will start.

Home Runs-Chip Kelly, Gary Paterson, Bob Stoops, Mark Dantonio

Triple-Butch, Jim Mora, Dan Mullen, Tom Herman, Justin Fuente, Rich Rodriguez,

Double-Charlie Strong, Greg Schiano, Mark Stoops, Pat Narduzzi, Rob Chudziniski, Bob Stitt

Single-Doug Marrone, Lane Kiffin, Kriby Smart, Chad Morris, Scott Frost, Mario Cristobal

I think where is program is right now they must hit a home run with their next hire if they want to compete for a championship. A triple would put us in the top 10 but not in the NC picture. A double puts back in the national conversation (top 25). A single keeps us at status quo.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Might as well throw in Mark Stoops, Chad Morris, Kirby Smart, Charlie Strong, Doug Marrone, and Scott Frost..

In tennis terms:

Butch = ace
Chud = smash
Schiano = let
Cristobal = double fault

Advertisement
I didn't see Belichick, Parcels or Gruden on the list.

fail

These are names that have been talked about on this board. The guys you mentioned are NFL coaches only. The only reason I put Kelly's name on the list is there were some rumors about him potential leaving the Eagles to become a college coach.

Advertisement
Butch...I dont care how many bridges he burned. He's proven and begging to get the nod

I don't care how many bridges he burned either but is he the best man for the job? I know we all love him for what he built here but you can't ignore what he did at UNC. He was slowly building them into a contender and they were putting multiple high draft choices in the league but he still did not finish over 8-5. Also it doesn't help that he will be 64 and out of the game for 4 years. Who knows if he has the energy left for a quick rebuild.

Regardless of the above I understand that you have to project him at UM, that is why I have him at the top of my triple list. He is the next best option from being a Home run hire.

Advertisement
Tubberville (Cincinati)
Gundy (Oklahoma State)
Fitzgerald (Nortwestern)
Hudspeth (UL-Lafayette)
Berry (UL-Monroe)
Holgorsen (West Virginia)
McNeil (East Carolina)
Johnson (Tulane)
Kingsbury (Texas Tech)
Wilson (Indiana)
Whittingham (Utah)

Advertisement
Tubberville (Cincinati)
Gundy (Oklahoma State)
Fitzgerald (Nortwestern)
Hudspeth (UL-Lafayette)
Berry (UL-Monroe)
Holgorsen (West Virginia)
McNeil (East Carolina)
Johnson (Tulane)
Kingsbury (Texas Tech)
Wilson (Indiana)
Whittingham (Utah)

Whittingham is a bad corch and he would never have success at Miami.

Football wise its a boring time of year so I thought this might spicen things up. I saw this on another board and thought it was a good idea when the inevitable happens and Golden is fired this season. They separated their potential coaching hires into the following categories below. I think it helped galvanize their fans to provide one voice of what the fans were willing to accept. So this can be added to at any point in the season but I will start.

Home Runs-Chip Kelly, Gary Paterson, Mark Dantonio

Triple-Butch, Jim Mora, Dan Mullen, Rich Rodriguez, Charlie Strong

Double- Greg Schiano, Mark Stoops, Tom Herman, Pat Narduzzi, Rob Chudziniski

Single-Doug Marrone, Lane Kiffin, Kriby Smart, Chad Morris, Scott Frost, Mario Cristobal

I think where is program is right now they must hit a home run with their next hire if they want to compete for a championship. A triple would put us in the top 10 but not in the NC picture. A double puts back in the national conversation (top 25). A single keeps us at status quo.

You done screwed this up right outta the gate.

Butch Davis.

Butch is the one we can get that is most likely to kick the tires and light the fires. Most of the other top end HC never end up here. Butch is the one guy we can get who leels the recruiting field immediately. He can go toe to toe with Saban, Urdan and Jumbo from day one. When Butch tells a kid "You can be my next Ed reed, Shaw Taylor, Wince Wilfork, ......." what kids is not going to jump off his feet. Nobody can come close to Butch's record for NFL players, not even Saban. In the end, Sundays are what matter to kids.

Advertisement
Back