Official Fire Mark Richt Thread

Mark Richt Will Lead Miami to the CFB Playoffs Next Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement
If Richt was capable of winning a title, he would have done so at Georgia.

Here's a series of rationalizations a fan could have reasonably made at the time of Richt's hire:

Fact 1: He almost did.
Fact 2: South Florida is the greatest hotbed of high school football talent in the country.
Fact 3: He is a solid recruiter with a history of producing NFL talent, especially with regards to nurturing QBs and RBs.
Fact 4: At the time of his hire in Miami, he was one of the top ten winningest coaches in college football.
Fact 5: Miami had won it all 5 times, and came very close another 4 times, within the previous 35 years.

Supposition based on these facts: Mark Richt can finally win it all in Miami, and return Miami to prominence.

So it was a fairly reasonable supposition that could have been made at the tie based on the aforementioned facts.

But it turns out that supposition failed to account for a particularly crucial, but at the time not quite as obvious, fact:

Fact 6: The game has passed Mark Richt by, and his stubbornness prevents him from the kind of adaptation and innovation necessary to win in today's game.

This final fact unravels the previous ones. Unless Mark Richt can pull a Jocko Willink and own his failure and in turn hire personnel who excel at what he's now shown to be weak at and shown to be clear shortcomings on this team (OL, QB, offensive play-calling, special teams, strength and conditioning, linebackers), then there is no turning around this program under Mark Richt's leadership.

Edit: Added the first line (italicized) for clarity.

Last edited:
Fact 1: He almost did.
Fact 2: South Florida is the greatest hotbed of high school football talent in the country.
Fact 3: He is a solid recruiter with a history of producing NFL talent, especially with regards to nurturing QBs and RBs.
Fact 4: At the time of his hire in Miami, he was one of the top ten winningest coaches in college football.
Fact 5: Miami had won it all 5 times, and came very close another 4 times, within the previous 35 years.

Supposition based on these facts: Mark Richt can finally win it all in Miami, and return Miami to prominence.

So it was a fairly reasonable supposition based on the aforementioned facts.

But it turns out that supposition failed to account for a particularly crucial, but at the time not quite as obvious, fact:

Fact 6: The game has passed Mark Richt by, and his stubbornness prevents him from the kind of adaptation and innovation necessary to win in today's game.

This final fact unravels the previous ones. Unless Mark Richt can pull a Jocko Willink and own his failure and in turn hire personnel who excel at what he's now shown to be weak at and shown to be clear shortcomings on this team (OL, QB, offensive play-calling, special teams, strength and conditioning, linebackers), then there is no turning around this program under Mark Richt's leadership.
Lol, he almost won it at Georgia. Nobody will remember that he almost won a championship. People remember winners and championships, not coaches and teams who almost won it.

Most of these facts mean jack shxt because he couldn't win it at Georgia. What makes you think he's going to win it at Miami, with less resources? I fail to see the logic in that.

This isn't the Miami of the 80s/90s/early 2000s. Players want to win now and they would rather take their talents to Bama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Michigan.

I thought Richt was just a underachiever which isn't good but now I realize he's just a loser which is even worst.

Advertisement

So it was a fairly reasonable supposition based on the aforementioned facts.

I disagree with the above. During this recent tenure of college football, say the last 25 years, how many coaches have been the HC at a P5 program for a long time (10 years or more) and then went somewhere else and had much better success (i.e. winning it all)?

I can think of one and he went from a drastically inferior P5 school to a much better one. Do you have some examples?

I would say it is incredibly rare for someone to coach (as an HC) a P5 program for such a long time and then suddenly be something else.

-------------

Now back to Richt, it has been a long time since he truly had a relevant season (at UGA) where he had real success (i.e. won the conference). It has been so long that he no longer was that coach and his competition greatly changed. Richt's tenure at UGA...

[The records below represent Richt's record v. these teams]

Against UF:

2001: Spurrier 0-1
2002-04: Zook 1-2
2005-10: Meyer 1-5
2011-15: Muschump 3-1

Against LSU:

2001-04: Saban 1-1 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2001 and 2002)
2005-15: Miles 3-2 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015)

Alabama

2001-02: Franchione 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2001)
2003-06: Shula 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2004, 2005 and 2006)
2006-15: Saban 1-3 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014)

Richt is who he was.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt because things were 'trending up' (yes that was intentional) after his second year here. Ten wins was unexpected, however fortuitous some of them were.

However, the wheels have absolutely fallen off the wagon since the Pitt game last year and Richt has shown no ability to arrest the alarming decline.

I'm desperate for the Canes to be sustainably good - the only way I see that happening is with a programme builder coach. It's clear now that Richt is burnt out and he needs to go.

My problem is that a lot of you guys get off on being 'right' more than you do on the Canes actually winning. It's exhausting to read every day on the boards.

Advertisement
BBB richtClown.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Richt entered this job with the wrong mindset. Viewed himself as a gift to the program. All honesty I thought he was. Been excellent on the face of thr program part. Ipf and getting boosters invloved. This job is about player development more so than most programs. He has been extremely negligent in that area. Need a hungry ego maniac who views this job as a gift for his career development. A guy with NFL aspiriations. Not a guy who wants to retire here. We need a hired gun we have to beg to stay in a few years. Credit to Richt for upgrade in facilities. More attractive job for the next guy.

Advertisement
Back