Official Apology thread for those who wanted Coach L fired 2 years ago

Pleasantly surprised with Coach L And NIL/portal and current results. Sure he's a legend. I think its not as simple as some make it out to be, but I'll just enjoy the ride, and for all his enduring hUge supporters: Kudos/WD!

I don't apologize for voicing we needed change, and if Coach L moving on was the only way, well, there ya go. Fortunately, we got change. Thats a tribute to Coach L. for sure. ...and... If Walker quits jacking 3's, I might send him an official mea culpa.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I’ll gladly eat crow on this. When L couldn’t get the Bruce Brown/Lonnie team going, it felt like he was handcuffing nba talents (even if in reality Brown broke his shooting hand and Lonnie was dealing with serious personal issues).

One unexpected benefit: L is built for the transfer portal era because he has always astutely built teams around transfer talents.

I apologize.

The Crow

Advertisement
Agreed and let’s end this topic. Many of us could not appreciate just how harmful the investigation was. And how could we? We were not in the family rooms with the recruits to know the impact. All we could see was the end result which was not good.

But the tables have now turned so lets enjoy the ride.

You talked me out of pulling receipts. And rest assured, there are PLENTY of receipts.

I think that the problem we had a couple of years ago was the definitive and insulting nature of the comments about Coach L. All you had to do was post something positive about what Coach L had done or was capable of doing in the future, and you got guys who were absolutely certain about the impact of the aging process and the immediate need to replace Coach L.

I can handle the debate on the guys we were recruiting or the guys that were rapidly leaving the program or the assistant coaches or whatever. But the way in which the critics ripped Coach L was pretty savage.

And premature.

Pleasantly surprised with Coach L And NIL/portal and current results. Sure he's a legend. I think its not as simple as some make it out to be, but I'll just enjoy the ride, and for all his enduring hUge supporters: Kudos/WD!

I don't apologize for voicing we needed change, and if Coach L moving on was the only way, well, there ya go. Fortunately, we got change. Thats a tribute to Coach L. for sure. ...and... If Walker quits jacking 3's, I might send him an official mea culpa.
Well, he didn't against Duke although he thought about it...haha.

Advertisement
You talked me out of pulling receipts. And rest assured, there are PLENTY of receipts.

I think that the problem we had a couple of years ago was the definitive and insulting nature of the comments about Coach L. All you had to do was post something positive about what Coach L had done or was capable of doing in the future, and you got guys who were absolutely certain about the impact of the aging process and the immediate need to replace Coach L.

I can handle the debate on the guys we were recruiting or the guys that were rapidly leaving the program or the assistant coaches or whatever. But the way in which the critics ripped Coach L was pretty savage.

And premature.
I could not agree with you more that the criticisms, especially as they related to age, were unwarranted. My point was simply that many fans, even those who supported Coach L like you and I, still lacked a true understanding of how crippling the investigation was to UM and Coach L. So our ignorance created 2 schools of thought;
1. Coach L is still very good, has not forgotten how to coach and needs time
2. The game has passed Coach L by

But now that we all now how bad the completely unfair investigation impacted the program and the veil has been lifted, most if not all of the people in category 2, have come around. So I say we let everyone off the hook because we were all ignorant.

I gave him some credit for the FBI BS, but I knocked him for roster management and what looked like a true loss of passion. I’m happy to be wrong if it means we are winning.
The FBI was an issue as was Coach L continuing to leave 1 to 2 scholarships open every single year for late transfers/late signings.

I don’t think his ability to coach and get more out of his players than most head coaches out there was really the talking point back then.

As you said his roster management was pretty bad those years along with the bad luck with injuries was disastrous.

I don't think I ever called for him to be fired, but I certainly thought the bogus FBI scandal broke him and new blood was needed. I was definitely wrong.

i must break you dolph lundgren GIF

Advertisement
I don't think I ever called for him to be fired, but I certainly thought the bogus FBI scandal broke him and new blood was needed. I was definitely wrong.

i must break you dolph lundgren GIF
I lost faith when Lykes dipped. Made me question if he still had it.

If that FBI bs doesn’t happen there’s no telling how high he’d have this program rn.

Let's be fine and not prisoners of the moment.
Two years ago and two bad seasons with mostly 7 active guys for every game, Coach L deserved that harsh criticism.
As of today, he has down well with the small ball run the past two years.
I am not a prisoner of the moment so I am not going to suggest the AD give him a 5 year extension.
Let's just enjoy this moment for what it is without overreacting!

Advertisement
Let's be fine and not prisoners of the moment.
Two years ago and two bad seasons with mostly 7 active guys for every game, Coach L deserved that harsh criticism.
As of today, he has down well with the small ball run the past two years.
I am not a prisoner of the moment so I am not going to suggest the AD give him a 5 year extension.
Let's just enjoy this moment for what it is without overreacting!
He is the best coach in basketball. He has proven it with less talent than any other coach you compare him to. Its not even close. Wish we got him when he was 40-50 instead of at 60.

Mods can we delete this? If does nothing good.

This board was out of its mind with the criticism of L for his momentum being destroyed and program crippled by a wrongful accusation and lengthy fbi investigation.

But also there’s absolutely no benefit to dredging up that garbage right now.

So can you please poof this whole thread?

Mods can we delete this? If does nothing good.

This board was out of its mind with the criticism of L for his momentum being destroyed and program crippled by a wrongful accusation and lengthy fbi investigation.

But also there’s absolutely no benefit to dredging up that garbage right now.

So can you please poof this whole thread?
Mods can we pin this? It's extremely important.

There is huge benefited to dredging up this garbage for reflection, now.

So can you please pin this whole thread?

Advertisement
Back