Offensive Targeting?

dukemv

Sophomore
How often is targeting called against offensive guys? So many times you'll see offensive players lead with their helmets, no stiff arm in front. The defender has no option but to get lower, helmets collide, and defender gets called for targeting. Are there any discussions about changing that? Seems like the rule evolves every year anyway

Advertisement
When they reverse the targeting they still march off 15, if it ain't targeting why the penalty?

Advertisement
When they reverse the targeting they still march off 15, if it ain't targeting why the penalty?

I dont think this is the rule anymore. I know they used to do that, but I thought they changed that. Now if it was a late hit/roughing the QB that was called targeting and they determine it is not targeting the 15 yard penalty would still stick for the other reason.

what is the defensive player supposed to do? just get speared Goldberg style?
Right? I mean, they could determine if one player hit the other as in, if one is upright, and the other hits his helmet, the upright player stays. if both lower their helmets and hit each other, both should go. Then again, were talking about a league that'd corrupt to the core.

Advertisement
How often is targeting called against offensive guys? So many times you'll see offensive players lead with their helmets, no stiff arm in front. The defender has no option but to get lower, helmets collide, and defender gets called for targeting. Are there any discussions about changing that? Seems like the rule evolves every year anyway
It’s never called and should emphasized heavily. Most of the targeting calls u see is Offensive players lowering their heads ,natural reaction I’d add, to brace for contact. But it’s never called. Imo the target rule should be handled like basketball does technicals. A level one target should be 15 yard automatic first down. If u get 2 level one targets your gone. A level Two target would be for a incident like Marvin Wilson displayed vs us and should be automatic disqualification and 15 yard penalty. The automatic disqualification for 1 bang bang call will at one point determine a big game and it will be a **** shame

Yes. So many times the defensive player is going low and the offensive player lowers his head right into the hit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back