Offensive Line

It depends. Are they going to be asked to finesse, zone block, and stretch run or smash mouth, down block, pull guard, power run?

If they are asked to do the former it will be about the same as last year.

If it's the latter we will road grade everyone in the ACC except FSU.

Trevor Darling is a ******* monster. Unsung hero 2014 season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It depends. Are they going to be asked to finesse, zone block, and stretch run or smash mouth, down block, pull guard, power run?

We did gash them with Duke last year. Lost Duke to injury and had to rely on Morris to win the game.

We need a Leon Searcy like OT to emerge. Or a Joaquin Gonzalez, Brett Romberg. Some All-Americans. Been awhile.

A good O line will make breaking in our QB much easier. If there are leaks, woe be us.

We did gash them with Duke last year. Lost Duke to injury and had to rely on Morris to win the game.

Maybe I'm the idiot here.

The talent on this OL is really, really strong. I actually like six or seven of our OL. We have a good LT, who is probably best in a zone blocking scheme where he can reach block and get to the second level. Feliciano is best in a smash mouth scheme and playing in a phone booth. Our C is light in the pants and is best trying to get out to the second level and on screen plays. Isidora is best on smash mouth plays and blocking straight ahead. Our coaches really like our RT, who is so long and athletic, he should be really good in pass protection.

If I'm building an OL, I want T's who are light on their feet who can pass block very well. I want a LG who can pull and run block like a manimal. I want a C who can anchor against the good DT's and can get out to the second level and block on screens. I want all of them to be tough and have a little bit of nasty. I want at least two versatile, tough OL who can play multiple spots as well as be athletic enough to play TE in a jumbo package, or one of the T spots in an unbalanced line where we pair the starting T on the opposite with the other starter.

In a weird way, I like the pieces we have on the OL if we use them correctly like it sounds like we will.

Advertisement
The talent on this OL is really, really strong. I actually like six or seven of our OL. We have a good LT, who is probably best in a zone blocking scheme where he can reach block and get to the second level. Feliciano is best in a smash mouth scheme and playing in a phone booth. Our C is light in the pants and is best trying to get out to the second level and on screen plays. Isidora is best on smash mouth plays and blocking straight ahead. Our coaches really like our RT, who is so long and athletic, he should be really good in pass protection.

If I'm building an OL, I want T's who are light on their feet who can pass block very well. I want a LG who can pull and run block like a manimal. I want a C who can anchor against the good DT's and can get out to the second level and block on screens. I want all of them to be tough and have a little bit of nasty. I want at least two versatile, tough OL who can play multiple spots as well as be athletic enough to play TE in a jumbo package, or one of the T spots in an unbalanced line where we pair the starting T on the opposite with the other starter.

In a weird way, I like the pieces we have on the OL if we use them correctly like it sounds like we will.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we do run a zone blocking scheme. In that case, you are basically saying that we only have one guy that fits that scheme and our C is a weakling and you're good with that. Que??

Agree with JHall about McDermott. He is way too inconsistent. Golden loves seniors so I'm pretty sure Shane will be the guy but I hope Gall plays a lot.

OL POWER RANKINGS

Flowers
Feliciano
Gall
Isidora
Gadbois
McDermott
Wells
Darling
K. McDermott
Odogwu
Harvey
Knighton

Redshirt Linder, Brown, Grimsley, Goldberg

Some serious talent in that list. But a lot of question marks, too. Will Wells, Odogwu, Knighton, Brown, Grimsely ever be more than depth, and even then, how much quality will they bring? Outside of TFs, we have 6 guys who can play. So if we have two injuries, do we need to go to a TF? Or will one of those question marks make the leap?

... As an aside, Flowers held his own as a TF, and I think Darling is the most ready to play (needs conditioning). If it comes to that, I think he with little McDermott can fill the gap. But it's certainly not ideal.

Advertisement
Back