Offensive line improvement

Trescerocinco

Retired staff
Premium
How much of an improvement do you guys believe is realistic for our offensive line next season. In my opinion this is almost as crucial as quarterback play in terms of next seasons success and I'm hopeful with the addition of Donaldson, Herbert and George Brown there may be an improvement as far as personel is concerned but we will be forced to rely on many of the same faces from last season which is concerning.

Advertisement
I like Kaaya but I think having a different (more athletic) qb in there will make the line look better next year as well. I don't think Donaldson or Herbert will start next year, at least not right away.

I like Kaaya but I think having a different (more athletic) qb in there will make the line look better next year as well. I don't think Donaldson or Herbert will start next year, at least not right away.
I think this is backwards. Kaaya did not make the OL look bad. Kaaya literally got his teeth knocked out because of the OL. Now if the OL improves, it will take some pressure off our first year starter QB next year.

I think this is backwards. Kaaya did not make the OL look bad. Kaaya literally got his teeth knocked out because of the OL. Now if the OL improves, it will take some pressure off our first year starter QB next year.

I'm not saying the o line was good last year, it was not, but I think if you put a more mobile quarterback, one that could simply move around the pocket better and have better footwork, back there it alone would make the o line look better.

I'm not saying the o line was good last year, it was not, but I think if you put a more mobile quarterback, one that could simply move around the pocket better and have better footwork, back there it alone would make the o line look better.

This. A more mobile guy doesn't get sacked 8 times against VT and make that putrid ND defense look like Alabama.

Last edited:
Advertisement

This. A more mobile guy doesn't get sacked 8 times against VT and make that putrid ND defense look like Alabama.

VT had a running QB and gave up more sacks than Miami this year.

I think Donaldson will start very early if not right away. He's an early enrollee which makes a big difference.

When we played tech this year they sacked Kaaya 8 times and we sacked their qb 3 times. Giving up sacks is not the only thing that makes an OL bad or good, and a running qb doesn't nesessarily mean he will take less sacks but I think a quarterback who has better footwork and presence inside the pocket, doesn't hold the ball for too long, and knows when to throw the ball away will make his line look better and maybe have less negative yardage plays.

Yep...our ol sucked but a mobile qb doesn't solve everything:

#51 Miami 25 sacks allowed
#97 VT 32 sacks allowed
#108 FSU 36 sacks allowed
#136 Louisville 47 sacks allowed

Last edited:
Advertisement
First and foremost we need to run block better. WV whooped us up front. We need to grade the road first, then worry about QB protection.

If the OL can improve to solidly mediocre and the QB is pretty good, we will have a potent offense.

VT had a running QB and won the coastal last year

FIFY

Yep...our ol sucked but a mobile qb doesn't solve everything:

#51 Miami 25 sacks allowed
#97 VT 32 sacks allowed
#108 FSU 36 sacks allowed
#136 Louisville 47 sacks allowed

Halftime of the ND game we changed blocking schemes for the OL, in an attempt to give Kayaa more time. Richt also kept a RB in more to block towards the end of the year.

I wonder how many sacks we gave up in the last 4 games. I would guess not many.

The coaches, by an large, did a good job of adjusting the offense during the year. Richt isn't as stubborn as some make him outnto be. WVU game is proof of that.

And to answer OP - I'd say it was a combination of both OL and Kayaa. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Benching McDermott & linder instantly improves the oline play. Donaldson replaces Isadora at RG and Brown replaces McDermott at LT. Darling at LG with st.Lou at RT. Gauthier snapping the pill.

Last edited:
To be honest....they must improve big-time or it's going to be the same $h!+!!!! Most of them are putting up HS bench and squat numbers....The strength and conditioning coach needs to get them much stronger while maintaining low body fat.

Advertisement

Jesus, the QBs job isn't to make the OL look better, it's their job to make the QB look better. That was true last year, and it's sure as fvck true with a new starter next year.

QB or OL was the problem? Not an important question. The entire team needed a revamp, starting with the HC. Let's start with the OL. Yes, there were gems like Flowers and Feliciano who are now in the NFL; Isidora has a chance to make it to the NFL. Beyond them, the OL was weak and coached by a guy, Kehoe, who was probably thinking of retirement. No way the OL could support a ground game (the QB's best friend) and protect the QB. Meanwhile, Kaaya is flat footed. He doesn't have to be Russell Wilson, but he shouldn't be a statue in the pocket. I don't remember him once ducking an oncoming defensive player. And then there is the defense. An aggressive defense that causes turnovers and keeps the score manageable provides flexibility for the offense. There is no question that the defense is better since Diaz became DC.

The incoming OL looks good. Let's not forget the current OL. St. Louis, Odogwu, Gauthier, McDermott will give depth to the impressive 2017 class of OL. Take into account an aggressive defense that keeps the opponent's offense off the field, and then you see an OL that begins to wear down opposing defenses because of time of possession. The run game improves, and then the QB looks like a Heisman candidate.

It is a complete package. Richt is making moves to build that package. Depth, strength and aggressiveness on both sides of the ball. Athleticism. Speed. No more of that obsolete Penn State fat-boy strategy based on the the legend of an old man and his assistant's penchant for male children. I look for improvement in 2017, and then serious contention in 2018.

Starting OL IMO: LT: KC-TREVOR D.
LG: TREVOR DARLING-BROWN
C: T.GAUTHIER-N.LINDER
RG: N.DONALDSON-BROWN
RT:ST.LOUIS-SUNNY
idk if brown is more of guard or tackle so this is based on him being more of a guard.

Don't tell these people this. BK was just aweful and we need someone to run around. I tried to say this all year but few would listen. Great point!

Advertisement
Back