% of South Fla 4 and 5 stars attending UM

Man when are people going to stop with the star ***** sh*t. Weve had more success here with 3 star kids than we have with 4 and 5 star players.

Here are some notable 3 star and below kids.
Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Here were some notable 4 and 5 star recruits:
Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

Shall I go on? The BEST part, was the whining when we got many of those "3 star" guys or even 2 stars, and how "Botch Davis sucks", or the euphoria and fap fest when we signed the 4 and 5 star busts.

Recruiting is ALL about evaluations. That is how Butch built that machine he did here. He didnt give a F*CK about stars. Our staff is going after guys they LIKE and want, not just some kid with a bunch of stars on a piece of paper.

I'm almost positive that Portis was not a 3 star recruit. If I'm not mistaken he was a USA today All-American...

Advertisement
Man when are people going to stop with the star ***** sh*t. Weve had more success here with 3 star kids than we have with 4 and 5 star players.

Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

Shall I go on? The BEST part, was the whining when we got many of those "3 star" guys or even 2 stars, and how "Botch Davis sucks", or the euphoria and fap fest when we signed the 4 and 5 star busts.

Recruiting is ALL about evaluations. That is how Butch built that machine he did here. He didnt give a F*CK about stars. Our staff is going after guys they LIKE and want, not just some kid with a bunch of stars on a piece of paper.

I'm almost positive that Portis was not a 3 star recruit. If I'm not mistaken he was a USA today All-American...

Actually correct on Portis. He wasn't a 3 star. He was a 2 star that Spurrier wouldn't give a scholarship to. He wanted him as a DB possibly but not as a RB.

does anyone understand why 247 considers Ryheem Lockley a 2014 commit but not Derrick Griffin?

Lockley was placed in a JUCO by us, and Griffin is going it alone and basically just trying to get a qualifying score? I think.... I do not believe Griffin is currently enrolled anywhere which really throws his whole status in the air. It seems anyway.... **** what do I know... lol

Advertisement
Lockley was placed in a JUCO by us, and Griffin is going it alone and basically just trying to get a qualifying score? I think.... I do not believe Griffin is currently enrolled anywhere which really throws his whole status in the air. It seems anyway.... **** what do I know... lol

kinda makes sense..

Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

What about?
Vince Wilfork
Andre Johnson
Willis McGahee
Damione Lewis
DJ Williams
Antrel Rolle
Kellen Winslow
Vernon Carey
Devin Hester
Jon Beason
Greg Olsen

Also Gore and ST were local beasts, not as highly ranked as they should have been but everyone knew who they were.....
Butch recruited studs and it was a mix of both low ranked and high ranked kids, it just happens that the recruiting services have gotten much much better at evaluations since then. It was bound to happen when it became big business a decade ago. Go check Butch's studs at UNC, he did a pretty good job there, more 4 and 5 stars than anything else.....

Given today's environment, there's almost 0% chance guys like Gore and ST wouldn't have made significant impressions in 7 on 7s, gotten youtube and hudl videos, and jumped up to being top ranked players.

Different universe.

Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

This post is EXTREMELY off base. Recruiting rankings are more accurate than ever because of how many camps, 7 on 7 circuits, and exposure players get nowadays. Back when Ed Reed, Shockey, Vilma, etc were recruits Rivals and the other recruiting sites barely existed. Those guys would be 4 and 5 stars nowadays with the advent of internet highlights and what not. The game is different now.

Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

Its asinine. The "stars" are handed out by jock-sniffing former mailmen and dog walkers who are not only unemployable by any real journalistic sports entity, but by any Division III schools. The idea that they can evaluate talent is laughable. Its literally like letting a bunch of random people on this board make recruiting decisions.

And you think its easy? The ******* NFL gets to see 4 years of college games, coaches tape, work players out at the combine and private workouts, poke and prod, send them to docs and trainers for eval, wonderlic them, and do it from a one-sided position where they don't have to recruit them, just pick them. AND THEY ******* GET IT WRONG 50% OF THE TIME!!

Now try to be a NCAA D1 coach where you are trying to evaluate a HS kid who isn't fully developed yet, has a little bit of limited iPhone highlights, all while trying not to **** him off because you need to convince him to pick your school. I don't envy these guys.

And for the simpletons who try to point out that 5-Star kids have a better success rate than 3-Star kids... no ****. There are always a bunch of kids that your grandmother can see are elite. That's the easy part. But the best classes in the country get maybe 2 or 3 of those guys. They are few and far between. You need 85 guys. You make your living EVALUATING. You make your living on picking the RIGHT 3-star guys. Look at the top 10 classes. These lauded programs have double-digit three stars. They are the program builders, and with recruiting being a numbers game, you need as many of the right ones as possible if you are going to win.

If you're a Star-******, a guy who wants to rest the programs shoulders on the former garbage men and toll collectors that "rank" these kids, all I can say is SMH.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back