% of South Fla 4 and 5 stars attending UM

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Saw on another site where SFBay mentioned we're getting a higher % of So. Fla 4 and 5 stars than we have historically.

If you look at the ratings on Scout there are 13 4 and 5 stars that we recruited.

So. Fla 5 stars:
Sony, KC, Chad, Yearby, Lane- UM landed 3 of 5.

So Fla 4 stars (Offered)
Cook, Darling, Valentine, Moten, Rudolph, Robinson, Jackson, Dixon- UM landed 3 of 8 and have a shot at Robinson and Jackson.

If we get them that's 5 0f 8 so all told that would be 8 of 13.

Advertisement
Cook is not a 5 star on Scout :eekeyes:. Robinson as in Jojo Robinson? I don't think we are actively recruiting him, and Demetrieus Jackson? He is committed to us already. Khari Clark has to be on that list, along with: Treon Harris, Chris Lammons.

Last edited:
Man when are people going to stop with the star ***** sh*t. Weve had more success here with 3 star kids than we have with 4 and 5 star players.

Here are some notable 3 star and below kids.
Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Here were some notable 4 and 5 star recruits:
Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

Shall I go on? The BEST part, was the whining when we got many of those "3 star" guys or even 2 stars, and how "Botch Davis sucks", or the euphoria and fap fest when we signed the 4 and 5 star busts.

Recruiting is ALL about evaluations. That is how Butch built that machine he did here. He didnt give a F*CK about stars. Our staff is going after guys they LIKE and want, not just some kid with a bunch of stars on a piece of paper.

Man when are people going to stop with the star ***** sh*t. Weve had more success here with 3 star kids than we have with 4 and 5 star players.

Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

Shall I go on? The BEST part, was the whining when we got many of those "3 star" guys or even 2 stars, and how "Botch Davis sucks", or the euphoria and fap fest when we signed the 4 and 5 star busts.

Recruiting is ALL about evaluations. That is how Butch built that machine he did here. He didnt give a F*CK about stars. Our staff is going after guys they LIKE and want, not just some kid with a bunch of stars on a piece of paper.

excuse if I missed it, but did the people who found those 3* and below studs still coach on the team?

Advertisement
Saw on another site where SFBay mentioned we're getting a higher % of So. Fla 4 and 5 stars than we have historically.

If you look at the ratings on Scout there are 13 4 and 5 stars that we recruited.

So. Fla 5 stars:
Sony, KC, Chad, Yearby, Lane- UM landed 3 of 5.

So Fla 4 stars (Offered)
Cook, Darling, Valentine, Moten, Rudolph, Robinson, Jackson, Dixon- UM landed 3 of 8 and have a shot at Robinson and Jackson.

If we get them that's 5 0f 8 so all told that would be 8 of 13.

247 composite (which avgs the other top sites) has us at 9 (4*) total no 5* out of 29 commits

Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

That is nice and all but we are in the year 2013 soon to be 2014 not 2000. We have sites like youtube, HUDL and 247 now.

Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

That is nice and all but we are in the year 2013 soon to be 2014 not 2000. We have sites like youtube, HUDL and 247 now.

Agree. Recruiting is totally different now. There's no way half those guys would only be 3 stars these days

2Focusd80:
Nothing against 247 - or you for that matter - but they only have 4 SFLA kids in the top 30 (5* players) (Sony, Cook, Scarbrough, Lane). Who am I to judge - but I take K.C. and Chad Thomas over a few others in their 5* category.

MD CANE:
Agree 100% with your point - the recruiting landscape has changed drastically. Now guys like Reed/Portis/Wayne don't slip thru as 3 stars nowadays.

Advertisement
2Focusd80:
Nothing against 247 - or you for that matter - but they only have 4 SFLA kids in the top 30 (5* players) (Sony, Cook, Scarbrough, Lane). Who am I to judge - but I take K.C. and Chad Thomas over a few others in their 5* category.

MD CANE:
Agree 100% with your point - the recruiting landscape has changed drastically. Now guys like Reed/Portis/Wayne don't slip thru as 3 stars nowadays.

scout has like 100 5* (im exagerrating some) 247 composite avg asll the recruiting sites into one grade. can't get much fairer than that

Cook is a five star and there's a few four stars you left out, not that I necessarily wanted all of them

Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

Sorry but you are pulling some of that stuff out of your ***...where the **** are those 3 star and under guys rated, most of the rating sites didn't exist back then...and just because some teams dont succeed means that five stars are bad...those guys had horrible coaches. Besides look at Alabama, F$U, and Auburn etc. those teams are loaded with four and five star talent...as I have said before stars aren't everything but they sure as **** help.

To clarify, these rankings are based on Scout. I prefer Scout because they historically have been more accurate. Ever since Rivals had Blaine Gabbert and Mike Glennon rated above Andrew Luck I've discounted their rankings some.

Advertisement

Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

Wow, so sometimes 3 star kids are good and 5 stars bust? Hmm, Imagine that. ******* brilliant.

It's been statistically proven that the higher the star rating the better chance the kid pans out...of course there are stud 3 star players, but there are also about 10 times more three star than 5 star players.

2Focusd80:

MD CANE:

scout has like 100 5* (im exagerrating some) 247 composite avg asll the recruiting sites into one grade. can't get much fairer than that

Pretty sure scout has less than 50. Around 40-45 I think

Lol. Those who says stars are not a good indicator are either naive or are putting on their blinders. Of course it's not perfect but with the exposure these days....it's **** telling.

Advertisement
Lol. Those who says stars are not a good indicator are either naive or are putting on their blinders. Of course it's not perfect but with the exposure these days....it's **** telling.

Also Alabama's top ranked classes probably have nothing to do with three ships in four years

Also Alabama's top ranked classes probably have nothing to do with three ships in four years

Maybe the websites rank the class so high because it is Alabama?

568.gif

Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Jon Vilma
Santana Moss
Clinton Portis
Joaquin Gonzalez
Reggie Wayne
Dan Morgan

Kyle Wright
Jacory Harris
Kenny Kelly
Akeem Jolla
Ryan Moore
Lance Leggett
Willie Williams
Tyler McMeans
Aldarius Johnson
Marcus Forston

What about?
Vince Wilfork
Andre Johnson
Willis McGahee
Damione Lewis
DJ Williams
Antrel Rolle
Kellen Winslow
Vernon Carey
Devin Hester
Jon Beason
Greg Olsen

Also Gore and ST were local beasts, not as highly ranked as they should have been but everyone knew who they were.....
Butch recruited studs and it was a mix of both low ranked and high ranked kids, it just happens that the recruiting services have gotten much much better at evaluations since then. It was bound to happen when it became big business a decade ago. Go check Butch's studs at UNC, he did a pretty good job there, more 4 and 5 stars than anything else.....

Like I said - I don't necessarily disagree with 247 - in fact I like their site - but I was only saying the OP's argument was specifically about SoFLA kids - and not landing any 5 & 4 stars from 247.

My point is - there are only (4) 5-star SoFLA kids in 247. This is up for debate.

Advertisement
Back