Odom aware of Miami TE tradition, includes UM in top group

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Growing up, 2020 Jesuit 3-star TE Jonathan Odom had always been someone that was naturally bigger than everybody else his age. In response to that and his obvious athleticism on the field, many started comparing him to a certain Hurricane great at the position.

“People call me ‘Shockey’. It was the nickname I was given in 6th grade,” Odom said.

With that type of moniker, it’s no wonder Odom is keenly aware of the Canes’ tradition at the tight end position. There’s something about UM that makes tight ends thrive and it’s one of the reasons Odom is so high on Miami.

“The amount they use the tight ends and the way they utilize them is what has me interested,” Odom said.

Last month, the 6’6” 240 pound prospect was officially given a chance to join that exclusive club when he landed an offer from the Canes at their Junior Day event on campus.

“I was down for the junior day a couple weeks ago and they offered me while I was there,” Odom said. “It was great. I got to meet the entire staff and had great conversations.”

While Miami already has one tight end committed in Naples 4-star Dominic Mammarelli, new Miami TE coach Stephen Field is still hard at work trying to land a second tight end in the class. That search led him to Odom, and the two bonded a bit on the Junior Day visit.

“He was great. We went and watched some film and broke down how he is going to use the tight end,” Odom said.

In fact, the player Odom will be replacing next season at TE for Jesuit is currently a Hurricane. Former Jesuit star TE Larry Hodges has already signed with the orange and green, and Odom spoke a bit about their relationship.

“We’re close. That was the kind of kid I looked up to when I first came to Jesuit and we ended up becoming great friends,” Odom said.

Just because Hodges was technically ahead of him at TE doesn’t mean Odom didn’t have a productive junior season, though. Jesuit often utilized a two-tight end attack and Hodges was often moved around the formation in part to get Odom on the field.

“My junior season went great. I had around 300 yards for 9 TD’s and 25 receptions,” Odom said. “We lost in the state semi’s.”

In terms of a return visit to Miami, Odom hopes to see UM and the campus again before making any decisions, and included them in his recent top group to show his interest.

“Hopefully I can see Miami again soon. I have a high interest,” Odom said. “I posted my top 11 and they were in it.”

Other programs in Odom’s top group included LSU and Alabama, and he’ll visit the Tigers this weekend, and the Tide the following weekend. Now that he’s narrowed down his list a bit, Odom will spend his spring taking visits and finding out what program can really best use his skillset.

“Hopefully I’ll announce by the end of the summer, but whenever I feel it’s time,” Odom said. “I’m looking for the best fit for me and where I’ll be used the best.”

Advertisement
Man national TE recruiting this year looks wild.

ND has commitments from the top 2, Penn State is recruiting Canada, one high school team has 2 of the top 16 TEs, and Alabama went into Ohio and got its top TE target. Plus Iowa has got to be a player if it sticks two TEs in the first round of the draft. As I said, wild. And FK ND. ALWAYS FK ND.

Man national TE recruiting this year looks wild.

ND has commitments from the top 2, Penn State is recruiting Canada, one high school team has 2 of the top 16 TEs, and Alabama went into Ohio and got its top TE target. Plus Iowa has got to be a player if it sticks two TEs in the first round of the draft. As I said, wild. And FK ND. ALWAYS FK ND.

In reality Darnell Washington is the #1 TE in the class, but he is ranked as a 5 star athlete rather than TE. We are recruiting him, and have some connections since he is from Vegas, but it is going to be extremely difficult to get him.

Advertisement
We should check out Jalen Williams at Wekiva, 6'7 200 lbs #18 TE on the 24/7 composite, he also plays basketball for Wekiva, looks the part of an athlete too

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back