Tears (OC) Truly a surreal moment for myself having from graduating from FAU but raised a die hard cane by my father…

Kinda long but i needed to get it off my chest.

My dad raised me taking me to the WEZ in the OB during the 2000s. Went to a bunch of baseball games and some bball games growing up. I was there for Devin Hester return against UF. Wide left 28-27. That mcgahee screen pass down the sideline. Brock Berlin doing the gator chomp. Watched Sean Taylor embarrass FSU in tally. There for Darrel langham and rosier in the student section to end the 7 game streak. Down 27-7 and Nkosi led us back. Notre dame in 2017. I bleed orange and green but like most of us I didn’t have the private school money and went to fau. Spent my college years going to fau and Miamifootball games. . I still remember the day ny dad cried when I got into FAU because he was so happy for me. I’m not that smart and pretty lazy and had a 2.7 high school gpa back in 2010 but ended up getting accepted into fau and was the first person to get into college and I’ve never seen him cry like that. He completely supported both both fau and Miami and we would frequently go to games during my college years. After college he was diagnosed with dementia and cancer and if you have ever dealt with this you know how insidious and Evil this disease can become. It’s caused me some of the darkest deepest lowest points of my life. We still remain fau and Miami fans for life and today I got to visit him in memory care\nursing home and he was wearing this shirt when I arrived.

Today on the day of the Elite 8 I came to the nursing home and he was randomly wearing this. I haven’t seen it in years. I found an old fau visor he bought when I was an undergrad there. This man has provided me with my favorite childhood memories and the ability to get my undergrad from FAU.

3049EA74-955B-46CD-B212-A7BD3D16A216.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Enjoy every moment with him. Take as many videos and recordings as possible. Even the littlest thing will mean so much once he's gone.

God bless you and your father. I hope you and your father get to enjoy many more years together.

Advertisement
Incredibly touching post. Don’t call yourself lazy, look at you now. You’re a great son and in the end that’s all that really matters. Enjoy every moment with your father, he clearly raised you right. Wish him and your family health moving forward. God Bless ❤️

God bless and cherish every day you have with him. It is a beautiful thing the bond that you have with each other.

PS - I can relate to the strangeness of this particular Final Four. My undergrad was at Miami and my Master's was at FAU. Absolutely mind-boggling, but so amazing! Go Canes first and foremost!!! But if not the Canes, go Owls.

My dad raised me taking me to the WEZ in the OB during the 2000s. Went to a bunch of baseball games and some bball games growing up. I was there for Devin Hester return against UF. Wide left 28-27. That mcgahee screen pass down the sideline. Brock Berlin doing the gator chomp. Watched Sean Taylor embarrass FSU in tally. There for Darrel langham and rosier in the student section to end the 7 game streak. Down 27-7 and Nkosi led us back. Notre dame in 2017. I bleed orange and green but like most of us I didn’t have the private school money and went to fau. Spent my college years going to fau and Miamifootball games. . I still remember the day ny dad cried when I got into FAU because he was so happy for me. I’m not that smart and pretty lazy and had a 2.7 high school gpa back in 2010 but ended up getting accepted into fau and was the first person to get into college and I’ve never seen him cry like that. He completely supported both both fau and Miami and we would frequently go to games during my college years. After college he was diagnosed with dementia and cancer and if you have ever dealt with this you know how insidious and Evil this disease can become. It’s caused me some of the darkest deepest lowest points of my life. We still remain fau and Miami fans for life and today I got to visit him in memory care\nursing home and he was wearing this shirt when I arrived.

Today on the day of the Elite 8 I came to the nursing home and he was randomly wearing this. I haven’t seen it in years. I found an old fau visor he bought when I was an undergrad there. This man has provided me with my favorite childhood memories and the ability to get my undergrad from FAU.

View attachment 233960

Cot-****, as a guy who's pretty indifferent to Miami hoops, this had my slanted eyes tearing up.

Lets go Canes....

Advertisement
Thanks so much for sharing. This kind of hit home for me.....just found out my mom has Leukemia a few weeks ago. The first thing I told her is we'll try to give her another grandkid as soon as possible. I'm not sure if they'll have enough time to remember her but i want her to at least meet one of them.

I actually got married last weekend and I'm on my honeymoon now. I was obviously very sad when i found out and have been thinking about it every day (especially during mother/son dance), but the marriage and honeymoon planning/coordinating have been taking all of my time. Today feels like the first day I've had any time and I'm thinking more about her again, especially after this post.

Think I'm going to go visit when we get back.

View attachment 233960
God bless you and your day 🙏🏾

Advertisement
Enjoy every moment with him. Take as many videos and recordings as possible. Even the littlest thing will mean so much once he's gone.

God bless you and your father. I hope you and your father get to enjoy many more years together.
One of my most sentimental photos of all time. This is my last game I ever got to see with him. Miami vs fsu 52-20. I hope I can hope to become half the he was.

Attachments

• 86106063-91C1-4729-AC40-A17C8F013BBC.jpeg
    86106063-91C1-4729-AC40-A17C8F013BBC.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
Thanks for sharing my man. Looking forward to you making as many memories as possible and Sharing more with us.

One of my most sentimental photos of all time. This is my last game I ever got to see with him. Miami vs fsu 52-20. I hope I can hope to become half the he was.
I can tell you from experience that you'll never feel like you'll reach that goal, but your kids will think you surpassed it.

Advertisement
He was born and raised and cutler ridge. Was there for 83 NC. The memories I have a childhood spending my weekends in the OB parking across the baseball field eating arepas. That WEZ crew is engrained into my personality.

Cot-****, as a guy who's pretty indifferent to Miami hoops, this had my slanted eyes tearing up.

Lets go Canes....
Man I was the same. Raised on canes football. But followed the bball team procedurally. I just know for 100 percent fact my dad would be blowing my phone up now with 5 tickets for me and my friends go fly to Houston on his dime. Comepletly selfless man. I took it for granted. But it has taught me some of the most valuable lessons in my life.

Man I was the same. Raised on canes football. But followed the bball team procedurally. I just know for 100 percent fact my dad would be blowing my phone up now with 5 tickets for me and my friends go fly to Houston on his dime. Comepletly selfless man. I took it for granted. But it has taught me some of the most valuable lessons in my life.

This really has to be a great moment for fans who lived through the early Bill Foster years, Kevin Presto, Tito Horford, Swaby, and then the rebuilding of Leonard Hamilton, etc. Going to the Miami Arena with like 2000 or so people. The parallels to USC when they played at the LA Sports Arena are striking

Now, a Final Four

I never thought I'd actually see the day. This is for all those UM hoops diehards

One of my funnest/memorable moments with him during an FSU game in tally. Probably middle school. Whopping fsu in nole the section and some old nole lady starts barking and my dad just goe. “SUCK MY ORANGE AND GREN **** *****”

That WEZ culture was notorious

Advertisement
Back