OC Candidates

ASU was ranked in the 100’s for their rushing offense. High ranked total offense but low rushing numbers gives me a bit of worry about their overall balance. With our backs, we need to use them and use them well. Was the low ranked rushing attack due to their WRs just being a huge strength so he didn’t go to it much or what? Honest question, I didn’t watch a lick of ASU so I’m curious.

This is all for nothing anyway, we are going to get someone who hasn’t been mentioned on this board yet, lol.

There was a little discussion on this last night. The rushing numbers, like us, per carry and total are very skewed from sacks. One of the most sacked teams in the country. Still had good total yardage and scored points though.

Hurt them on 3rd down and red zone numbers as well which is a big concern.

No way Manny puts his job on the line hiring Heck to be the sole OC. I could see him calling plays with a big name OL coach coming in as another co-coordinator and having input on the scheme.

Advertisement
All this talk about Heckendorf lead me to bring up some of the Arkansas State videos.
Noticed they had close game with ULouisiana-Monroe, same team fsu had issues with.
Anyways, ULM seems to run a pretty good offense, realized the HC and most of his assistants
came over from McNeese State, which had some good teams over the years.
ULM were a lousy 5-7 this year but were no.17 in total offense on a schedule including fsu,
Iowa State, Memphis in additon to conference foes AppyState and Louisiana-Lafayette.
They were ahead of Iowa State (no.18), USC (no.22), Okie State (24), Oregon (6), FAU (27),
Arkansas State (38) and Boise State (48), to name a few.
Their OC Matt Kubik is a LaTech grad.
Anyways, thinking aloud....(I know, cool story)

Advertisement
Seems like Texas hiring Yurcich is official and public. That leaves us looking for an OC and Oregon. Anyone else I’m missing that could be in the same conversation as us? We basically get to pick best available if we’re willing to fork out the right amount of $. Would be extremely hard to **** this up if we’re paying over $1.0 million and looking for a true proven spread or air raid type guy. Might even be some good NFL options come available soon (Helfrich?)

Seems like Texas hiring Yurcich is official and public. That leaves us looking for an OC and Oregon. Anyone else I’m missing that could be in the same conversation as us? We basically get to pick best available if we’re willing to fork out the right amount of $. Would be extremely hard to **** this up if we’re paying over $1.0 million and looking for a true proven spread or air raid type guy. Might even be some good NFL options come available soon (Helfrich?)
I have faith Blake and Manny can prove you wrong

I have faith Blake and Manny can prove you wrong

There will literally have to be a desire to hire the wrong guy, a total ignorance of the kind of offense we need to be running, or just pure idiocy to get this hire wrong.

I fully believe Manny was just balls deep in Enos because of the game he scored 50 on his D at Arkansas. He ****ed up ignoring all other factors.

He needs to open his eyes and make a rational decision this time

Advertisement
Lol at people thinking Kellen Moore is an option and Dorsey as a QB coach. We have some very delusional fans.

Kellen Moore is unreal.

NFL teams gonna be lining up for him.

Monken is interesting...its Arians offense, but if he brings that back to the college game...yo.

Dorsey is a good QB Coach.

Monken is an Air Raid spread guy. Lots of quick pass concepts utilizing all 5 options. Arians likes the vertical pass game with reduced splits to feature top guys.

Advertisement
Unless I missed a hire or two..
Canes
ND
Oregon
UW Huskies
Memphis
Boise
Old Miss?
Clemson - lost passing game cord?

Last edited:
Unless I missed a hire or two..
Canes
ND
Oregon
UW Huskies
Memphis
Boise
OSU - is the OC now BC head coach?
Clemson - lost passing game cord?

Totally forgot ND and Washington. As far as I know Johns will likely stay at Memphis if he isn’t hired elsewhere. Clemson just promoted an assistant to WR coach so they’re done. OSU still has Kevin Wilson and Ryan Day so I don’t see them being a big factor. Boise doesn’t pay over $500k.

I don’t even think ND, Oregon, or UW would be looking at the same guys as us. Oregon and Washington typically hire guys with west coast ties. ND is interesting. Not sure who would even be on their radar

Monken is an Air Raid spread guy. Lots of quick pass concepts utilizing all 5 options. Arians likes the vertical pass game with reduced splits to feature top guys.

This is why Monken is interesting to me. What he was doing in college - former Oklahoma State OC (and Gundy knows how to pick'em) and now getting more from Arians...its a very interesting name that no one has really mentioned.

Advertisement
Totally forgot ND and Washington. As far as I know Johns will likely stay at Memphis if he isn’t hired elsewhere. Clemson just promoted an assistant to WR coach so they’re done. OSU still has Kevin Wilson and Ryan Day so I don’t see them being a big factor. Boise doesn’t pay over $500k.

I don’t even think ND, Oregon, or UW would be looking at the same guys as us. Oregon and Washington typically hire guys with west coast ties. ND is interesting. Not sure who would even be on their radar
I was wrong on OSU, the DC took the BC job.. I also think Ol Miss need a OC still and they have SEC mone

Advertisement
Back