OC Candidates

I like Fedora or Rodriguez. Spread offenses. Very good OC's with head coaching experience that can help school Manny as a newbie HC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He's my top pick for OL coach not OC, he's never called plays before.
I would be ok with rolling the dice with a few specific coaches from specific teams even if they haven’t called plays before( for instance if Stoutland or Bedenbaugh wanted the OC job)
That is essentially what LSU did with Brady and he still doesn’t call the plays at LSU right now, they do it by feel or flow during the game and alternate.
We all want Brady despite him never being a full time play caller. It can work

I'm bored, so i started researching D2 offenses. Gary Goff head coach at Valdosta St is pretty impressive. This year they averaged 260 on the ground and 260 through the air. 39 points per game. https://vstateblazers.com/sports/football/stats/2019

Worked well for Mike Gundy when he went with a D2 guy.

"Goff plans to install the famed “Air Raid” offense pioneered by Mumme as well as former VSU offensive coordinator and current Washington State head coach Mike Leach in the present day.

“The Air Raid has evolved a little bit over the years,” Goff said of the offense the Blazers will run this season. “Obviously, I played here with Hal Mumme and Mike Leach so we still run the Air Raid. It’s a spread offense that utilizes our running backs a lot in the backfield — we’ve always had a 1,000-yard rusher. But we’re an attacking, no-huddle offense so very similar to what you saw Coach (Kerwin) Bell do here a year ago."

Advertisement
Why hasn't anyone else been fired? If this has been in the works for some time then I would have expected it all to happen in swift blow.

There's no chance Barry and Stubbs are here next year. Those two were brought in by Enos and I see zero reason they'd be here with him gone

What has Lashlee done against good competition? Gus ran him off, so that’s a red flag. And I watched FAU ramrod him in his last game.

SMU had some pretty good veteran talent this year relative to their opponents including a lot of portal guys. When he played an FAU team with good talent and speed he got throttled.

Any of these guys works for me at OC:
1. Yost
2. Lashlee
3. Fedora
4. Gleeson

Any of those guys are named OC and I will drink the cooled all offseason.

Here are the guys that I'd be OK with, but would be cautiously optimistic:
1. Rich Rod
2. Applewhite
3. Ken Dorsey (he's a reach, but I thought he'd eventually make a great OC when he was dominating CFB for us)

Advertisement
Advertisement
My money is on Diaz stealing Sean Gleeson from Ok state. With Boone dead the OkState slush fund has dried up, so now we can out bid them.

An per another poster on CIS, Manny was going to hire Gleeson at Temple supposedly. The connection is there and Sean Gleeson solves a lot of issues immediately he is uptempo power spread guy and he has the nation's leading rusher so all the current UM RB's will love that. Also Gleeson is from Jersey so living in Miami would be normal.

The only issue is Gleeson is young so Manny would have to find a Oline coach and WR Coach. Gleeson doesn't have an extensive contact list.

Go Canes

Gleesen would actually be the smartest guy in the room, unlike dip**** manny and penos. He turned Princeton into an offensive powerhouse. Also convinced a QB to turn down Bama to go to Princeton. I think he was a major recruiter for Princeton too. How he’d connect with south Florida players is a question.

I thought Enos was an uninspiring OC choice. I thought Diaz went for the splash hire of getting someone from the Bama tree, but he didn’t match any of the adjectives Diaz used in hyping the hire.

I don’t trust Diaz to cast a wide enough net to make a good OC hire. I’m also not sure of his budget, if they’re still paying Enos.

I think Applewhite will check the boxes of being a former HC, being spread, and being someone who needs an upgrade to their current position. I also don’t think Applewhite will be very expensive.

just trying to manage expectations.

I fear you are right. I don’t think Manny can assess the younger less known guys. He will go with Applewhite. We won’t have much success next year but manny will convince Blake it’s a rebuild. So a few more years of manny I’m afraid.

Gleeson crushed it at Princeton and I think he would be very good as well. Being at OK State and doing well for one year mitigated that risk slightly of him only being at an Ivy school.

Laughing at a Williams grad who coached at Princeton trying to coach Jarren and Kosi. Lol. Gonna hurt his brain.

Advertisement
Back