Observations from Watching Several Teams

Here are the things I noticed from a few successful teams I watched intently this weekend.

1. The is no replacement for stellar interior line play on both sides. This is what the better teams win with, not necessarily the scheme.
Summary: Not a revelation we need OL depth and help immediately, but many harp on scheme first. Our scheme could use more imagination and far better play calling, but first thing first, 911 on improving the OL.

2. They all have mobile to semi-mobile QB's that are "playmakers"! Not a single top team had a statue at QB. They made their reads quick and were accurate. Another trait was that they had quick releases, strong arms and could fit it into tight spaces. They also knew when to run and could.
Summary: Again not a revelation, Brad's not that guy. We need improved arm strength and mobility at QB.

3. Running the ball is still the "foundation" of football! If you can consistently run the ball or successfully do so in situations, you stand a good chance of winning. Speed kills! Need guys that can hit and go, rather that be a power back or speed guy.
Summary: We don't have that "Miami" back. Need to identify and get these backs in here! I still say a hot shot Pro Spread OC or Consultant would be a boost for luring top offensive players.

4. Speed! Speed kills. You don't need big WR's or any WR'ers that are not fast. I noticed when speed was present at all WR spots, X, Y, Z and slot, more guys came open "faster" (less pressure for OL to sustain block). Opened the field up for more big plays and the running game. Made it difficult for defenses to adjust.
Summary: Get off the fascination with big WR's unless they can motor. Speed should be factor A and B when evaluating WR. Grab the fastest (SoFl) WR's we got left in the 2017 class and we'll be fine.

Advertisement
Agree with all of that.
I hate to say it because it's almost like picking on the guy now, but Kaaya is a detriment to the offense. Not to say we have other more capable options, but he virtually kept UVA in the game yesterday with his performance.Not an earth shattering assessment, just my honest opinion.
Had Walton not been determined to carry the team it would have been much closer.

Advertisement
Great post! Players that can control both sides of the line should always be priority #1 .

I'd extend #4 from WR's to needing speed at all positions. Speed is the foundation of any great Miami team. We've recruited too many players that have good size OR they're intelligent OR they're fast. We need to get back to identifying and recruiting players that are the entire size/intelligence/speed package.

Advertisement
Back