O-line Talk

252cane

All-ACC
I just cant figure out how the o-line is so shìtty. I looked at duke who only gave up 1 sack to bama and there o-line looks decent.

Guess what? Duke has 2 new starters at tackle and one is a rsfresh and the other a true fresh. Their center is a rssoph. Does that sound familiar? Their highest rated starter was the true freshman tackle at 88. They do have a rssr and rsjr at guard but donaldson has a ton of experince and scaife has started the last 10 or 11 games.

So i don't want to keep hearing the excuse of being young. Either the coaching sucks or the evaluations wasn't good.

I know El isn't a big fan of herbert and i wasn't high on him coming out of hs. But at this point is he really that much worse than zion and campbell? I think at the least he will get out his stance quicker than zion.

Some needs to be done expeditiously.

Advertisement
I think we've seen using Team A's performance against Team B as a measuring tool usually ends up being fool's logic.

I just cant figure out how the o-line is so shìtty. I looked at duke who only gave up 1 sack to bama and there o-line looks decent.

Guess what? Duke has 2 new starters at tackle and one is a rsfresh and the other a true fresh. Their center is a rssoph. Does that sound familiar? Their highest rated starter was the true freshman tackle at 88. They do have a rssr and rsjr at guard but donaldson has a ton of experince and scaife has started the last 10 or 11 games.

So i don't want to keep hearing the excuse of being young. Either the coaching sucks or the evaluations wasn't good.

I know El isn't a big fan of herbert and i wasn't high on him coming out of hs. But at this point is he really that much worse than zion and campbell? I think at the least he will get out his stance quicker than zion.

We need to try herbert out, he can’t be that worse where he can’t even get into games. I was saying the same thing about duke oline, in 4 games 1 sack given up while playing bama already vs Miami giving up 18 sacks in 4 games. Sh*t is ridiculous

It's the worst we ever had. Bad evals, bad coaching, bad everything. Searels managed to foul up everythang. Everythang? Every thang.

Scaife - decent player
Donaldson - sluggish, slow, fat, soft
Gaynor - small, weak
Clark - will only get worse
Nelson - will only get worse
Campbell - blind?
Traore - not ready
Herbert - skinny, slow, weak
Hillery - short arms, weak
Kennedy - powder
Dykstra - waste
Elgammal - project

Advertisement
I think we've seen using Team A's performance against Team B as a measuring tool usually ends up being fool's logic.
Not in this case. Their o-line has performed better than miami and thats a fact. They struggled blocking cmu. Bama would have 10 sacks vs these dudes.

Lol VT has one of the softest DL's in the country. Do not rate them off of the VT game

It's the worst we ever had. Bad evals, bad coaching, bad everything. Searels managed to foul up everythang. Everythang? Every thang.

Scaife - decent player
Gaynor - small, weak
Campbell - blind?
Traore - not ready
Kennedy - powder
Dykstra - waste
Elgammal - project
**** if zion gets worse they gone have to pull his ship. He already looks like a walk-on.

Advertisement

They only had 1 sack because the coach made sure his QB only took 3 step drops and got the ball out quickly no matter what. Duke was 12/22 for for 204 yards. They averaged 4.4 yards per pass. A lot of short throws. Add in 2 picks. Not anything to brag about and not a winning formula. Duke giving up 1 sack had little to do with their offensive line.

Scaife - decent player
Gaynor - small, weak
Campbell - blind?
Traore - not ready
Kennedy - powder
Dykstra - waste
Elgammal - project

Traore engaged blocks well in limited film I saw and held his own from a physicality standpoint.

The physicality of the position seems a little above Nelson's level of preparation at this point.

I can't understand why you think Clark "will only get worse"... Coaching?

Overall the toughness (mostly mental) is lacking in our locker room. We don't bring it every down.

It all starts in practice if you ask me, and something is broken about the way we prepare for games.

We are recruiting linemen from the wrong part of the country. The linemen we recruit grew up wanting to play QB, RB, WR, but their bodies didn't cooperate.

Advertisement
They only had 1 sack because the coach made sure his QB only took 3 step drops and got the ball out quickly no matter what. Duke was 12/22 for for 204 yards. They averaged 4.4 yards per pass. A lot of short throws. Add in 2 picks. Not anything to brag about and not a winning formula. Duke giving up 1 sack had little to do with their offensive line.
Still better than this o-line. You got guys in the backfield at times soon as the ball is snapped.

Advertisement

Not all freshman are equal and our OL coach is a bonafide BUM

Still better than this o-line. You got guys in the backfield at times soon as the ball is snapped.
Yikes, the Zion experiment is over for me this year. You can’t win with a left tackle getting beat that quickly and everyone knows it. At this point we need to move our most solid lineman to protect jarrens blindside at left tackle in dj scaife and then give Herbert/Campbell a try at right tackle. Your left tackle can’t be getting beat like that vs CENTRAL MICHIGAN, true freshman or not...

We run Pin and Pull run concepts and it is beyond obvious our OL is not coached in adjusting blocking assignments based on defensive adjustments. Look at the CMU game and you see it every time our OL pulls. They know the base blocking scheme and that is it. No adjustment for DL shifts or blitz looks.

That is on the former Bucs intern now running the OL

The O-line would look a lot better if we had even a serviceable left tackle. Zion needs to see the bench for the rest of this season and redshirt. I don't care who you replace him with, because I'm certain whoever does would do a better job than he has, so far.

Advertisement
Back