O-Line: any combos look promising?

Silver King

Pass Block
From what I read on the blocked thread they're still struggling. That's bound to happen with new guys learning a new system. But I'm hoping they are getting some positions cemented so they can start working together as a unit. If, like last year, it gets carried over until summer, it seldom works itself out.

If you don't have the horses, sometimes you make a decsion and put the best five in and let them work. There are subtle little things beyond blocking calls that create positive things with O-linemen that have familiarity with the guy's style of play next to them.

As an example, last year LSU; I've never seen worse communication between a guard and center when a safety or LB was in the gap a half dozen times and at least twice both turned away from the guy and he came clean. **** before I got to college I learned if I were turning away and even if the center had responsibility, step that inside leg into the gap, you might get him to trip.

Advertisement
Richt system, play calling did our subpar o line talent no favors. Enos I believe will recognize our weaker o line and call more plays to mask it. Also, it seems to me that scaife, donaldson, gaynor, and hillery are pretty entrenched going left to right but some injuries have popped up forcing them to move around. We're still trying to fill RT but we have time to continue the competition into July before we settle on that position and let fall camp be fully about letting the chosen 5 gain cohesion as a unit. We gotta pray for no serious injuries and the continued physical development of Zion Nelson.

Advertisement
Why are you worried about DT?
Not sold on anybody we have there right now. Lots of inexperience. Almost no one were counting on to break out got much burn last year. I'm not saying they'll suck, just that it's my biggest second biggest concern on the team rn.

Last edited:
Not sold on anybody we have there right now. Lots of inexperience. Almost no one were counting on to break out got much burn last year. I'm not saying they'll auck, just that it's my biggest second biggest concern on the team rn.
Experince is overrated. Coming into 2016 everybody was concerned about the Dts. Mcintosh and norton emerged despite lack of experince. Some was worried last year after they left and willis was dominant. I think the top 4 guys will be solid enough as a group.

I think it's too early to know. The overall playbook is brand new, so they need to learn their assignments for each play first. Then they need to settle into their positions. And because coaches are new, they're testing them everywhere. Plus we have serious depth issues, so the decent ones are being moved all over the place.

By Fall camp, we need Enos to name a starting 5 and "next 3 in", with their first and second position already mapped out and the playbook fully understood. Then the man, zone, combo blocks can be coached/taught more effectively.

We know Donadlson and Scaife can play. Gaynor can grind in the center when healthy. But I'm most concerned about the development of Herbert, Hillery, Reed and Campbell. That would be a good seven right there if they reached their potential. Either those guys take the next step and make Kennedy and Brown depth guys, or Kennedy and Brown need to eat a herd of antlers. Something's got to give. I'm bummed that Boulware left money on the table by declaring for the draft. Would have been a win/win if he had stayed.

Injuries is always a concern, but I think the combo of Scaife-Donaldson-Gaynor-Hillery-Herbert will be more than enough to hold up against the coastal.

The challenge will be how quick they can come together as a unit since they're toughest challenge of the season might be the very 1st game.

Advertisement
Richt system, play calling did our subpar o line talent no favors. Enos I believe will recognize our weaker o line and call more plays to mask it. Also, it seems to me that scaife, donaldson, gaynor, and hillery are pretty entrenched going left to right but some injuries have popped up forcing them to move around. We're still trying to fill RT but we have time to continue the competition into July before we settle on that position and let fall camp be fully about letting the chosen 5 gain cohesion as a unit. We gotta pray for no serious injuries and the continued physical development of Zion Nelson.

That’s the take, OP

Experince is overrated. Coming into 2016 everybody was concerned about the Dts. Mcintosh and norton emerged despite lack of experince. Some was worried last year after they left and willis was dominant. I think the top 4 guys will be solid enough as a group.
Great post, add in an attacking scheme and we will get production there regardless. Feel like Nesta, ford, UCLA dt, bethel can definitely man the dt spot this year

Injuries is always a concern, but I think the combo of Scaife-Donaldson-Gaynor-Hillery-Herbert will be more than enough to hold up against the coastal.

The challenge will be how quick they can come together as a unit since they're toughest challenge of the season might be the very 1st game.

Honestly that looks like a pretty promising unit. Maybe Campbell as the top backup, with reed,Kennedy, Nelson as the #7,#8 ,#9 option?

Opening up against an SEC Defense, even though they'll have some new D-linemen, can be a boost or destroy confidence. If we can grind out a little of the running game, that will be huge. After all, we were doing pretty well against LSU until they popped that one run (Well and those 7 year-old punt pass and kick competition punts). We get a couple of extended drives to begin the game, maybe hit a big run early, that could help the whole season out.

Intense new focus blocking for this new system. Once they get the guys in their spots, I'm hoping this staff brings the accountability, that's huge with an O-line. Scaife looked really good at times last season, then struggled. He may be fixing to put it together. They need to have a decent scrimage this Saturday.

Advertisement
How did Kennedy look? I mean, with all the reports the staff "misevaluated" him and that he'll never be able to contribute.

You guys crack me up. Take a gander at our schedule for 2019. Now if you have time, research the gaps and questions concerning our opponents rosters. Then take a gander at our roster. And then analyze our gaps and question marks. Outside of UFag, we fückin if our offensive scheme hits its stride. UFag game is a question mark due to being the first game.

I will help you a little bit:
- UNC is mierda
- GT is breaking in a whole new scheme and coaching staff
- UVA is UVA...we should take care of them with a capable offense
- Duke lost their QB and other skill players, they will take a step back
- FSWho has no QB and their offensive line is still terrible
- Pitt lost a decent amount of players on defense.
- Louisville is possibly the worst team in the ACC right now

Who scares you in the Coastal/ACC that we play?!?

Advertisement
You guys crack me up. Take a gander at our schedule for 2019. Now if you have time, research the gaps and questions concerning our opponents rosters. Then take a gander at our roster. And then analyze our gaps and question marks. Outside of UFag, we fückin if our offensive scheme hits its stride. UFag game is a question mark due to being the first game.

I will help you a little bit:
- UNC is mierda
- GT is breaking in a whole new scheme and coaching staff
- UVA is UVA...we should take care of them with a capable offense
- Duke lost their QB and other skill players, they will take a step back
- FSWho has no QB and their offensive line is still terrible
- Pitt lost a decent amount of players on defense.
- Louisville is possibly the worst team in the ACC right now

Who scares you in the Coastal/ACC that we play?!?

I 1000% understand what you’re saying and no ACC team should scare us. But this has also been said for the last 10+ years.

I 1000% understand what you’re saying and no ACC team should scare us. But this has also been said for the last 10+ years.
I get it, but we offloaded Moses with his 10 commandment playbook. I'm feeling bullish...We have an offensive staff now that can out chess the opponent instead of just playing checkers and depending on blind luck.

Moto, good point. I too believe we’ll be able to out scheme our ACC opponents on our way to winning the Coastal for the 2nd time out of the last 3yrs. Honestly, I just don’t see any game against our conference rivals that will cause us much headache, if at all. We keep the intensity and focus up I bet we carry a 12-14ppg edge over the rest of the Coastal dreads into the ACCCG. Like Game #1, it’s this game that will show how far we’ve come in Diaz’s 1st season at the helm. I believe that’s why Manny is pushing the players so **** hard in the Spring. To get the level of competition up, the intensity greater, and our ability to focus sharpened. One way or another, he’s going to get us there as such that camp will become the harder competition versus playing our ACC opponents. That’s when we turn the corner, roll them, and make our way to Charlotte with momentum. At that point anything can happen.

Advertisement
Back