O.J. Howard still confused by lack of use at Alabama

mjarv21

Redshirt Freshman
Save this and get this to recruits...

O.J. Howard still confused by lack of use during Alabama career

"When O.J. Howard hears his named called at the 2017 NFL Draft, it will almost certainly be in the first round.

However, the former Alabama tight end doesn’t have numbers that jump off the page. In 2016, his senior season, he only recorded 45 catches for 595 yards and three touchdowns.

CBSSports.com still has Howard ranked as the top tight end in this year’s draft, even though his production stayed pretty much the same from his junior year, when he broke out for 208 yards and two touchdowns in the national championship game against Clemson.

After that game, Howard figured he’d be a bigger part of the offense in 2016, but that simply didn’t happen.According to SBNation, who interviewed Howard ahead of Saturday’s Senior Bowl, he still thinks about why he wasn’t used more this season:

“I have no idea, honestly man,” Howard said at the Senior Bowl. “It was kind of a question mark my whole career about that, but I’ve never been able to give an answer to this day.”

The 6-foot-6, 250-pound tight end has all the physical attributes the NFL looks for in a tight end, which will help him remain atop many teams’ tight-end rankings.

However, he’ll have to answer a lot of questions at the combine about his mental state and attitude when passes weren’t coming his way.

According to Howard, though, he’s already faced plenty of questions like that, so he’s ready for them:

“[NFL scouts] ask me sometimes how did I stay focused and I told them that I’m the type of person if I get so disappointed and frustrated about that, it shows on the field,” Howard said. “So I had to stay focused and do what’s best for myself and my future. That’s how I stayed positive through the process.”

To be fair, the Crimson Tide had plenty of options offensively the past two seasons, from RBs Derrick Henry, Damien Harris and Bo Scarbrough to WRs Calvin Ridley and ArDarius Stewart. In 2016, freshman QB Jalen Hurts also carried plenty of the offensive load with his legs. However, Howard should have been a more prominent check-down option for the young quarterback.

The Baltimore Ravens, New York Giants and Miami Dolphins could all be looking to take a tight end in the first round, so there should be plenty of landing spots for Howard on the first day of this year’s draft.

Once he learns his NFL destination, he’ll be able to set out on a rookie campaign where he’ll try to prove he should have been targeted more during his college career"

Advertisement
Julio Jones, I will give you.

But can someone help me and tell me how many great offensive of players Alabama has put into the NFL in the last 10 years or so? ****, I'll even take average or above average offensive of players. Maybe one more?

Help me out here.

But can someone help me and tell me how many great offensive of players Alabama has put into the NFL in the last 10 years or so? ****, I'll even take average or above average offensive of players. Maybe one more?

Help me out here.

depends on what your definition of great is. Lacy, Ingram, Cooper are all solid NFL players, Cooper may fall into that great category next year. Henry looked good but it's a wait and see.

They've definitely had plenty not live up to expectations though.

Help me out here.

Other than Julio, I cant think of many. Id say Ingram is at least average. Cooper I think will be good. Who knows about Henry. Lacy, maybe average so far? Richardson was a bust. Im sure they probably have a few linemen but who knows.

Advertisement

Help me out here.

Not many. BAMA doesn't produce solid NFL players.

I have no doubt that Richt will put winners in the league. Look at the All-pro list in the league the past decade and Georgia is right up there with the best of them. Now put him with our florida guys!!!!

OJ Howard is one of the most gifted tight ends I ever saw come out of HS and the way he was underusedis about the bbiggest joke I've ever seen yet somehow they have 2 tight ends committed wwho'll play early and get every wr they want even though it's obvious most will transfer/fail smh these kids never learn

Ingram, lacy for a few years, henry, cooper, they got a lot of guys that can ball in the league. The thing is us as Miami fans we r instantly comparing them to our hof greats (our cane standards)which won't ever be duplicated again. There a lot of players I would take from there squad throughout the Satan years

Advertisement

Help me out here.

Not many. BAMA doesn't produce solid NFL players.

I mean they haven't produced the quality we did in our runs but this statement just doesn't hold weight. They have six probowlers this year.

Look what they can sell though .....u cab absolutely do nothing here and still be drafted over guys that have better numbers

Help me out here.

Other than Julio, I cant think of many. Id say Ingram is at least average. Cooper I think will be good. Who knows about Henry. Lacy, maybe average so far? Richardson was a bust. Im sure they probably have a few linemen but who knows.

Landon Collins. Isn't he the half-brother of Gerald Willis? And wasn't their mother a hot lady who went rabid over Willis going to Florida instead of Bama?

They run 60-70% of a football game. I wonder what Bama would look like with the Clemson offense and Bama defense. There is no way Im getting all these studs every year and not trying to find ways to get them the ball

Advertisement
Dude is a beast, have no idea why they only apparently decided to use him vs Clemson

I see him getting mocked to my phins, not sure how I'd feel about that since we need defense so bad

but mayock is comparing him to olsen

Help me out here.

Landon Collins. Isn't he the half-brother of Gerald Willis? And wasn't their mother a hot lady who went rabid over Willis going to Florida instead of Bama?

Willis mother was upset her son didn't choose hometown LSU.

whatever....

Its an easy sell anyways. He's leaving with 2 rings, played for the ship every year there and is going in the first round.

Advertisement
Ingram, lacy for a few years, henry, cooper, they got a lot of guys that can ball in the league. The thing is us as Miami fans we r instantly comparing them to our hof greats (our cane standards)which won't ever be duplicated again. There a lot of players I would take from there squad throughout the Satan years

I'm just talking offense. Based on their college performance, their titles, and number of wins over the last 10 years, and all the four and five stars, they have severely underperformed in the league. There is no other way to look at it. They should have dominating players in the league based on their college recruiting and college performance. Something is way off on offense with Bama.

The kid got two rings out of it and is a 1st rounder, not really scaring anyone away from Bama like that.

Help me out here.

Willis mother was upset her son didn't choose hometown LSU.

I thought so,wasn't sure so I assumed where his brother went. It was quite a spectacle on TV.

Help me out here.

don't get in your feelings because coop spurned us, dude has been **** good his first 2 years. 2 years in the league and 2 1,000 yds receiving seasons

Lacy was hurt the last 2 years but he came out the gate killing it in green bay. 2K yards and almost 20 TD's his first 2 years

Advertisement
Back