Nyjalik Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhythm acoustic is all I ever saw Oates play and it was Hall’s vocals that carried the “duo”. I like some of their catchy tunes but was never impressed with Oates.

I realize GE Smith played more of the lead guitar parts (while he was in the band), but Oates wrote or co-wrote some big songs. I'm not saying it was 50-50, but he played a bigger role than most think.

Advertisement
This simply is not true.

First, the football team was not making a lot of money in the late 90s and 2000s. That's a fact. The very first time we had ANY stable Athletics income was when we joined the ACC. When we were in the Big East, it was feast or famine, due to the payout structure. Oh, and the University FUNDED the Athletic Department during those lean probationary times.

Second, Donna Shalala absolutely funded athletics. She pushed for the IPF. She got the arena built (FINALLY!). She pushed for Miami to join the ACC (and was sued for it). HOWEVER, she absolutely believed in hiring "up-and-comers" in a lot of roles, and YES, those people do not command higher salaries. But the facilities and budgets increased under Donna Shalala, they did NOT decrease. If you want to argue for increasing those budgets MORE, I would simply ask where the money would have come from. Because Shalala was absolutely NOT taking money OUT OF Athletics. If anything, UM occasionally covered Athletic deficits out of the UM general operating budget.

Third, the acquisition of UHealth (it was acquired, not built) came from UM operating funds as well.

As for the COVID money, I'm not going to argue, COVID revenue certainly helped. But Joe Echevarria was already turning things around on the operational side, even before COVID.
Her biggest mistake was hiring Coker over Barry Alvarez... 😎

I realize GE Smith played more of the lead guitar parts (while he was in the band), but Oates wrote or co-wrote some big songs. I'm not saying it was 50-50, but he played a bigger role than most think.
Although I like some of their tunes, I’m not a big fan so I have little knowledge of the inner workings of the band or “duo”. My perception is Hall’s vocals carried their success and Oates added very little vocally or musically.

Advertisement
Should we get started on Elvis too?
What about Cagney and Lacey?
Would magnum pi be as good if someone else played Higgins?
The blues brothers?
Who was mor essential, Belushi or Aykroyd?
Bad boys? Will smith or Martin

The only duo no one can question is Tom and Jerry before they fcked it up.
Both were the sht!!!!

The blues brothers?

Both were the sht!!!!

Simon and Garfunkel were originally known as Tom and Jerry...

The blues brothers?

Both were the sht!!!!

No respect for Laverne and Shirley?

Advertisement
Promising players never returning from UHellth: A tradition unlike any other.

Fully agree! Our track record on knee surgeries and other complex ones is terrible bad. Would not mind using Bama or Georgia medical services. There is a lot of room for improvement. Where was the last player we get back fully healthy and playable?

This one I can agree with. Art didn't do jack-****, except to sing like an angel.

Paul was absolutely, positively doing all the heavy lifting. And Art's arrogance and sense of entitlement about the unequal contributions is what broke them up.
Paul Simon is one of the most talented song writers I have ever heard. But at least Garfunkel got to "know" Candace Bergen in Carnal Knowledge.

Promising players never returning from UHellth: A tradition unlike any other.

1712595792124.png

Advertisement
Fully agree! Our track record on knee surgeries and other complex ones is terrible bad. Would not mind using Bama or Georgia medical services. There is a lot of room for improvement. Where was the last player we get back fully healthy and playable?
Chase Smith and Elijah Arroyo suffered torn ACLs in 2022 and they each disappeared almost completely in 2023, and are still wearing bulky knee braces in mid-2024. Bolts fly out of their knees whenever they make a cut. Citizen suffered "a setback" in his recovery. I wonder what that entailed. There are dozens of similar cases where a player is injured and misses 18 months with no valid reason attached. The UHellth surgeons might not be the problem but the recovery for these players is almost never swift. Hardin, Richards, Young, Wilder and others suffered neck trauma but that issue seems to have gone away.

Chase Smith and Elijah Arroyo suffered torn ACLs in 2022 and they each disappeared almost completely in 2023, and are still wearing bulky knee braces in mid-2024. Bolts fly out of their knees whenever they make a cut. Citizen suffered "a setback" in his recovery. I wonder what that entailed. There are dozens of similar cases where a player is injured and misses 18 months with no valid reason attached. The UHellth surgeons might not be the problem but the recovery for these players is almost never swift. Hardin, Richards, Young, Wilder and others suffered neck trauma but that issue seems to have gone away.

Shut up already. You are full of ****.

Citizen's setback was completely unrelated to his original injury, and was a fluke.

There are NOT "dozens" of similar cases.

You've already been told that Kelly is healthy, but you just keep going on and on and on.

Advertisement
The blues brothers?

Both were the sht!!!!

JG14 and Hurricanephilly as well

1000003730.gif

Shut up already. You are full of ****.

Citizen's setback was completely unrelated to his original injury, and was a fluke.

There are NOT "dozens" of similar cases.

You've already been told that Kelly is healthy, but you just keep going on and on and on.
Look all I know is when players were sent to Doctors Hospital to be fixed by Uribe, Selesnick, etc. we'd have guys like Reggie Wayne, Najeh Davenport and others return in a timely fashion from torn ACLs.

What happened to Elijah Arroyo in 2023? Why has it taken he and Chase Smith 2x longer than what is typical to recover from knee reconstruction? Lingard missed just about 2 entire seasons after a torn ACL suffered in September.

UHellth is also the provider for the Dolphins and they've been crushed by injuries more recently.

There's likely tons that UHealth does well but we've got the elite of the elite at Doctors Hospital across the street when it comes to sports medicine and orthopedic surgery. They brought Willis McGahee back from the dead in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back