2023 Nyckoles Harbor: 6'5, 230 ATH from DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I’ve never understood in an individual sport like track why it matters if you go to one school vs another. I understand facilities is the biggest thing but Olympic athletes come from all over.
True, but everything matters..... just like in other sports. It's the facilities, but what also comes with that, is the training, nutrition, coaching, equipment, rehab facility (in case of injury). Schools that care more about your sport, whether it's a team sport or an individual sport, will put more resources into all of that. Kids can see when they visit.

I think someone mentioned Soccer and softball are being rumored or were discussed. No softball field is the one issue but they are small enough that maybe there is a facility nearby that could be upgraded to work. But they def seem like a group of sports that could take a big leap nationally with the right coach/staff.

On sports additions, women's softball will be first.

I know a lot of people want men's soccer (we already have women's).

We also have men's golf and men's swimming that were mothballed by Dave Maggard in the 1990s. Swimming doesn't need "a new facility", and I think golf always used to play off-campus at a local club anyhow.

Fingers crossed.

On sports additions, women's softball will be first.

I know a lot of people want men's soccer (we already have women's).

We also have men's golf and men's swimming that were mothballed by Dave Maggard in the 1990s. Swimming doesn't need "a new facility", and I think golf always used to play off-campus at a local club anyhow.

Fingers crossed.
Would like to see lacrosse added. Growing sport in South FL, strong in the ACC, and plenty of interest locally from transplanted northeasterners. Would have good feeder schools like STA, Gulliver, etc.

Advertisement
Would like to see lacrosse added. Growing sport in South FL, strong in the ACC, and plenty of interest locally from transplanted northeasterners. Would have good feeder schools like STA, Gulliver, etc.

That's a relevant consideration. If the gender numbers are comparable, and you can add men's & women's, then you'd only need to figure out the funding of scholarships.

Currently, a lot of athletic scholarships are "endowed" by a named sponsor. I had a roommate at UM who was a very well-known Olympic sport athlete, and he had to go to a couple of events each year to honor the person who endowed his scholarship.

So we'd definitely need to do some fund-raising as we add new sports, beyond just "facilities".

They would get worked by Duke, UVA and UNC. But would love to see a lax program take shape. Got to start out somehow, even if massively inferior to 3 amazing programs. One of the fastest growing sports down here. Competition locally pales in comparison to Long Island and Mid Atlantic states (VA and MD specifically) but the gap in talent is closing.

Advertisement
This is something we should do anyway. With such international exposure and connections, especially the Caribbean nations, Miami could be a top notch track program. I dont understand why we havent focused on that. Similarly, mens soccer would seem like a natural fit but we dont even have a team.
For every men's sport added there needs to be an equal number of women's scholarships added ..... and nobody gives a **** about soccer

I’ve never understood in an individual sport like track why it matters if you go to one school vs another. I understand facilities is the biggest thing but Olympic athletes come from all over.
Give me mine from Jamaica!

Advertisement
That's a relevant consideration. If the gender numbers are comparable, and you can add men's & women's, then you'd only need to figure out the funding of scholarships.

Currently, a lot of athletic scholarships are "endowed" by a named sponsor. I had a roommate at UM who was a very well-known Olympic sport athlete, and he had to go to a couple of events each year to honor the person who endowed his scholarship.

So we'd definitely need to do some fund-raising as we add new sports, beyond just "facilities".
Greg?

Advertisement

Harrison Ford Story GIF by Indiana Jones

This is something we should do anyway. With such international exposure and connections, especially the Caribbean nations, Miami could be a top notch track program. I dont understand why we havent focused on that. Similarly, mens soccer would seem like a natural fit but we dont even have a team.
Dumb Athletic Director’s with no direction the last 2 decades! We got a real one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back