Nwoko development

Hi guys I don't post much but I do read a lot of the threads. I notice that there is talk about Nwoko's development and also the development of past big men by coack L and his staff.
This got me to thinking and I remember that the heat had a big man that was really raw years ago that they were able to develop him into a very good roll player that was very helpfull on at least one of their championship teams. One of the things that needed development was his hands and I remember the Heat using kitchen mitts or gloves to help him develop his hands. I can't remember his name but the Heat have a long track record of developing players including big men. Coach L is friends with coach Spo, I would think that if he hasn't talked to him about how the Heat develop big men it would sure be helpful to do so. Any way what do you guys think of that idea?

Advertisement
Hi guys I don't post much but I do read a lot of the threads. I notice that there is talk about Nwoko's development and also the development of past big men by coack L and his staff.
This got me to thinking and I remember that the heat had a big man that was really raw years ago that they were able to develop him into a very good roll player that was very helpfull on at least one of their championship teams. One of the things that needed development was his hands and I remember the Heat using kitchen mitts or gloves to help him develop his hands. I can't remember his name but the Heat have a long track record of developing players including big men. Coach L is friends with coach Spo, I would think that if he hasn't talked to him about how the Heat develop big men it would sure be helpful to do so. Any way what do you guys think of that idea?
Ball-handling is and has been an issue for all heights of several of our players. I was just thinking today they should use stick-um as they contest offensive rebounds as most of those literally "slipped away". Anything that would help (gripper exercises, etc) would sure be welcome. I imagine Coach L is well aware of the problem as well as what solutions exist. I fear soft hands (or an unwillingness to toughen them up) isn't going to be easily solved this season.

Usually, with big guys it's a hand/eye coordination issue. Nwoko has good feet so that's half the battle in his overall development. Just have to see the ball better and not cough it up once in his grasps. I'm hoping his touch around the basket and basket making ability will improve with time. Again, with bigs, particularly young ones (like Nwoko) they need to do three things well in order to play early -- rebound, contest shots & run the floor (basket to basket under 4 secs). Anything else would be icing. These are three things Nwoko should be able to do before the season is over.

Usually, with big guys it's a hand/eye coordination issue. Nwoko has good feet so that's half the battle in his overall development. Just have to see the ball better and not cough it up once in his grasps. I'm hoping his touch around the basket and basket making ability will improve with time. Again, with bigs, particularly young ones (like Nwoko) they need to do three things well in order to play early -- rebound, contest shots & run the floor (basket to basket under 4 secs). Anything else would be icing. These are three things Nwoko should be able to do before the season is over.
Nwoko runs well. I haven’t seen him rebound or contest shots well yet.

Took time, but both Tonye Jekiri and Ebuka Izundu were bigs recruited and developed by Coach L and his staff. We sure could use either (in their Senior form) right about now.

Hard to believe, off a Final Four appearance, we couldn't attract a finished product big man. I'm envious every time I see the 7 footer Goldin for FAU.

Advertisement
Took time, but both Tonye Jekiri and Ebuka Izundu were bigs recruited and developed by Coach L and his staff. We sure could use either (in their Senior form) right about now.

Hard to believe, off a Final Four appearance, we couldn't attract a finished product big man. I'm envious every time I see the 7 footer Goldin for FAU.

This staff is eerily similar to Spo's. Allergic to bigs..

I really do not think there is any development here at all. Nwoko is not a D1 guy from what I have seen.
I don't think you understand what a D1 guy is. Nwoko may not have gotten off to the start some expected, but he'is for sure a Division I player. I think some folks here may have had some unrealistic expectations for him coming in, but do think in time he'll have a chance to develop into a key contributor for us.

Advertisement
I don't think you understand what a D1 guy is. Nwoko may not have gotten off to the start some expected, but he'is for sure a Division I player. I think some folks here may have had some unrealistic expectations for him coming in, but do think in time he'll have a chance to develop into a key contributor for us.
There are lots of 6"10 dudes playing D2.

There are lots of 6"10 dudes playing D2.
I'm pretty sure none of those 6'`10" guys you're referring to had offers coming out of high school from programs like UCLA, Oregon, NC St, Maryland, Creighton, Houston, Ga Tech, etc. Nwoko is a high major Division I prospect, not a D2 kid. Like most teenagers going into college, he just needs time and development. Let's stop the the crazy talk.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Last edited:
He needs to (1) relax out there on the court and, (2) gain and play with confidence. In that order.

Let's see what we have in March before judging his ceiling.

Advertisement
He needs to (1) relax out there on the court and, (2) gain and play with confidence. In that order.

Let's see what we have in March before judging his ceiling.
Even judging his ceiling in March would be wrong. Hopefully he makes the jump this year because the team needs him, but many on this board were writing Wooga off as a sophomore and one year later he’s a likely first round pick.

Even judging his ceiling in March would be wrong. Hopefully he makes the jump this year because the team needs him, but many on this board were writing Wooga off as a sophomore and one year later he’s a likely first round pick.
Ur right. Just saying we will hopefully have a better "read" on Nwoko by March than we do now. Assuming he gets PT, he'll have a whole ACC campaign behind him.

Advertisement
It's hard for most bigs to come in and contribute immediately. Obviously there are exceptions for the top guys, but you can just look at our history to see how that plays out: Tonye, Kenny K, Raphael Akpejiori, etc.

It's hard for most bigs to come in and contribute immediately. Obviously there are exceptions for the top guys, but you can just look at our history to see how that plays out: Tonye, Kenny K, Raphael Akpejiori, etc.
Also, Googled Akpejori's name so I could copy and paste it (no way I was going to spell that right). Did not realize he has been a professional boxer since 2018 with an 15-1 record, and is also married to WNBA star/ESPN NBA analyst Chiney Ogwumike. Good for the big fella.

I'm pretty sure none of those 6'`10" guys you're referring to had offers coming out of high school from programs like UCLA, Oregon, NC St, Maryland, Creighton, Houston, Ga Tech, etc. Nwoko is a high major Division I prospect, not a D2 kid. Like most teenagers going into college, he just needs time and development. Let's stop the the crazy talk.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF
Ok. I guess we just wait it out for 2 or 3 years right? That's how things go now right?

Ok. I guess we just wait it out for 2 or 3 years right? That's how things go now right?
Good college teams/programs rarely rely on freshmen to be major contributors their first year unless they're 5-star prospects coming out of high school. It's a bit different with bad teams or lower tier programs. Unrealistic for anyone to think Nwoko (3/4 star recruit) would just waltz right in and start or play big minutes at an ACC school coming off of an Elite 8 and Final 4 run in back to back years. To answer your question, I hope it doesn't take him 3 years. I'm sure that's not the plan. Hopefully, we'll see more development as the season progresses. I don't think he's far off. Just a matter of putting it all together.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back