Now We Know Where We Stand

Canes82

Freshman
Premium
Against the elite of college football.

Hoping this loss is a strong motivator for the team throughout the offseason.

Same for Richt. He better look long and hard at himself and his staff.

Advertisement
Richt's got to do some adjusting himself. It's clear that his vision for his team is still a work in progress.

We overachieved this year. Rosier's inabilities caught up with us these last few games.

Now? It's been clear most of the season. Did you fail to watch games other than those against VA Tech and ND?

Advertisement
Now? It's been clear most of the season. Did you fail to watch games other than those against VA Tech and ND?

Na..

This team fooled itself with inconsistencies.

They had themselves playing the “What if...” game.

The reality is, we all thought we had talent....well....we don’t....well, we do...but not NC, elite talent. That’s my point.

We got some work to do. Specially on offense.
But only a true assssclown would not see this season as a success.
Did **** we haven't done.
Revived the program and was relevant in Decenber.
We need the recruiting clas to come in and provide depth and completion.

Advertisement
I agree. As bad as Rosier was, he wasn't set up for success with the play calling. And as talent as our WR corp showed at times, they don't make enough plays against good competition as a unit IMO. Love the defense though.

We need top recruiting classes combined with high preseason ranking. Anything else is an outlier stab, and destined to fail.

The problem with this site is two-fold:

* You have too many people atop the site who are very close to the program, and year long they provide slanted unrealistic appraisal of how close we are to the truly elite programs

* That outlier "Why not us?" mentality is garbage but too easily swallowed by gullible fans. It is pushed here repeatedly.

Miami will be legitimate when the preseason ratings suggest as much. This year we were 17th in the consensus of the magazines, etc. That's nice compared to where we've been but a cavern from likelihood to run the table in December and January.

Here is a study from 2 years ago on the amazing value of preseason ratings, when you know how to apply them. I have known about this for more than 20 years and posted about it on sports sites for more than 15 years. It is laughable that so many people scoff at preseason ratings. It basically certifies that you have no clue. Preseason ratings are gold later in the season and in bowl games, as I've emphasized and as the article describes. I don't doubt that the author may have seen some of my related posts on college football sites because he used the same criteria I have long specified...how the higher rated team from preseason fares in bowl games against the spread.

I had no confidence tonight because we were finally facing a team that was indeed rated extremely high in preseason, unlike someone like Notre Dame which was an upstart similar to ourselves.

This is the key section of the article overall:

"So ***** the preseason polls. Let's give these coaches and sports writers a few weeks to watch games. Then we can find value in these polls for determining team strength.

However, this conventional wisdom has it backwards. The preseason polls are remarkable predictors of team strength. Later polls lose this predictive power."

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/9/10/9295405/college-football-preseason-polls-accuracy

We need top recruiting classes combined with high preseason ranking. Anything else is an outlier stab, and destined to fail.

The problem with this site is two-fold:

* You have too many people atop the site who are very close to the program, and year long they provide slanted unrealistic appraisal of how close we are to the truly elite programs

* That outlier "Why not us?" mentality is garbage but too easily swallowed by gullible fans. It is pushed here repeatedly.

Miami will be legitimate when the preseason ratings suggest as much. This year we were 17th in the consensus of the magazines, etc. That's nice compared to where we've been but a cavern from likelihood to run the table in December and January.

Here is a study from 2 years ago on the amazing value of preseason ratings, when you know how to apply them. I have known about this for more than 20 years and posted about it on sports sites for more than 15 years. It is laughable that so many people scoff at preseason ratings. It basically certifies that you have no clue. Preseason ratings are gold later in the season and in bowl games, as I've emphasized and as the article describes. I don't doubt that the author may have seen some of my related posts on college football sites because he used the same criteria I have long specified...how the higher rated team from preseason fares in bowl games against the spread.

I had no confidence tonight because we were finally facing a team that was indeed rated extremely high in preseason, unlike someone like Notre Dame which was an upstart similar to ourselves.

This is the key section of the article overall:

"So screws the preseason polls. Let's give these coaches and sports writers a few weeks to watch games. Then we can find value in these polls for determining team strength.

However, this conventional wisdom has it backwards. The preseason polls are remarkable predictors of team strength. Later polls lose this predictive power."

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/9/10/9295405/college-football-preseason-polls-accuracy

The team needs to take this loss like Clemson did that 70 point blowout by wv. We will be better just need to keep pushing.

Advertisement
Let's remember what most of us would have considered a "successful" second season back in August: 10-2, ACC coastal champs. Well we did it. And beat FSU and ND. I'm happy. Year 1 is kicking the tires. Year 2 is learning how to win. Year 3&4 is when we make our run, especially with a seasoned Perry.

When the best players you can start against Clemson in a championship game are freshmen, sophomores or first year players; Pinkney, Quarterman, Richards, Mccloud, Thomas, Joe Jackson, RJ Mcintosh, Malek Young, Bandy, Rosier, etc you're going to get your **** split every time.

We have to have experienced, talented upperclassmen at most positions and a good to great QB to win on this stage. We will have more talent next year and hopefully a better qb, be that an improved Rosier or some improved kid already on the roster.

Diaz got his *** handed to him. CMR is as vanilla as they come and failed the offense. They both should have some soul searching to do this offseason.

It hurts but many knew and posted that we just flat out weren't ready for this game. They were right.

Posted on another thread but I’ll repeat it here. We need more juniors to stay. Bama Clemson uga and others keep players with draft grades for their senior year. 3-4 extra seniors a year provide depth experience and leadership. They seemed so shook after the first qtr. this has been a problem with this team for years. Tommy Streeter comes to mind. I know a 6th round bonus is a lot of money and some of our players have had success in those rounds but most don’t.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back