Now that we know some coaches

firstandcanes

Sophomore
For next season what position group needs to play better? Which position takes a step forward?

I think the D line takes a big step forward. I can see more sacks, QB pressures, and tackle for loss with the new scheme.

The position that absolutely has to play better is the O line. Kaaya took a beating this year. So limiting hits on him is probably top priority. Plus we have to be able to run consistently.

Advertisement
honestly I believe every position group will play better.

Mark Richt > Coley in play calling (by a mile)

Coach Kul > Melvin (by a mile)

diaz >>>>> dorito. it's been explained several times why, but in the advanced metrics thread he has performed 50 ranking spots better in a tougher conference with less talent

new strength coach whoever it may be, may be the biggest impact and most help. If we can get Ivey or Moffitt. the whole team will be better

This might have been the worst OL at UM in the modern era of college football.

It would be nice if they didn't look like a group of drunk preschoolers that got into a bar fight with a biker gang on every play.

I'm pretty sure at one point during the Clemson game I saw Shaq Lawson hoist Alex Gall over his head, walk to the sideline, and throw him into the 5th row.

Last edited:
I think overall we can improve across the board. At RB Yearby and Walton did a nice job but Gus will be a bug addition. So RB will improve.
At QB, Kaaya will have all Spring and Summer to work with Richt. I believe he will improve and his backups will as well. QB's will improve
Like you said, OLine has to improve and I believe it will. We had 6 freshman lineman last year that could push the incumbents. Here I say we SHOULD improve.
TE will improve as guys gained experience this year. WR is a question mark for me. Hopefully Coley stays and Berrios has a breakout year
Agree 100% on DLine. Could be a very good group to watch. Coach Kool will have Willis, Norton, Harris, Patchan, and the big bodies back.
Linebacker will be a HUGE improvement. For one thing We are returning to an attacking 4-3. Grace comes back and is the WILL. You have Young back plus Shaq at MIKE. In a true 4-3 you will have Owens back and you will see Gordinier slide back to SAM where he was originally recruited. This group will surprise people. IMPROVED.
DB's will miss Artie Burns but there are plenty of guys coming back. I look for a few of this year's freshman to have big roles.

Advertisement
This might have been the worst OL at UM in the modern era of college football.

It would be nice if they didn't look like a group of drunk preschoolers that got into a bar fight with a biker gang on every play.

I'm pretty sure at one point during the Clemson game I saw Shaq Lawson hoist Alex Gall over his head, walk to the sideline, and throw him into the 5th row.

You've been on ******* fire lately

If our ol does not play significantly better we don't win 10 games. We will be in serious danger of getting Kaaya hurt and having a worse record than this year. One key injury on that line and we are F'd. The recruiting and development in that area has been the biggest disappointment and our biggest gap to be competitive.

i expect the oline to make some huge steps. having bar milo a redshirt freshman to push darling and mcdermott and tyree st louis should improve the tackle if they learn any technique at all.

the talent is there at oline. its up to coaches to get teh best out of them and i think searles will. so far every coach hired is better then the coach they replace period.

one more thing. people get after diaz for his d. but 7 of the last 8 teams he has been dc of won at least 8 games. and at miss state thats pretty much the ceiling 8-9 wins. they aren't bama, ole miss is the top school in that state.

miami gets better recruits and easier then msu. even the teams at texas were talent level seemed to drop off after his first year they won 9 games with no qb. the stats that matter like pts scored are usually very good for diaz

i expect the biggest improvement to come from dline. just being in a 4-3 attacking d alone will help plus best dl coach in country in coach cool but ol wont be far behind.

Oline and Dline should improve just by virtue of a better S&C program as well as better coaching.

I see improvemenr across the board but we lack so depth at almost every position that it may not translate into as many wins as it should.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back