Now that we are switching back to a 4-3

firstandcanes

Sophomore
What's our ranking next year in total defense? Yards given up? Scoring D?

I'm think if we have the talent to make a leap into the top 25 in total D. We can give up some yards but need to be tough inside the red zone. Way too many td's scored against us these past few years when the other team gets down there.

Advertisement
We have the talent for a top 25 unit if burns corn and grace stick around.

It all depends on how quickly they absorb the information

Who says we're switching to 4-3?

I thought Richt said he he'd leave the scheme to the DC?

Said he's run both, had success with both, and found holes in both ...

Said it multiple times. Wants an old school 4-3 attacking Cane defense. Music to my ears.

Need to see the DC hire first, and what Grace, Burns, and Elder decide to do.

Advertisement
Said it multiple times. Wants an old school 4-3 attacking Cane defense. Music to my ears.

That's not what he said. He said he wants attacking D and prefers 4-3, but would leave it up to the new D coordinator. He's right of course, 3-4, 4-3...that wasn't nearly as much a problem as the pu$$y STYLE of D we played. As long as the word "attack" is in it, it's all good.

Mark did say he likes our old 4-3 defense but did not commit to it. We will not know until we see the DC he picks. He will make the decision by who he hires. At least we know we can change it by getting the DC fired. No reason to not fly banners for a DC. Mark is a nice guy who probably not quick to fire anyone, but he has done it. Unlike Al is was to proud to admit he made a mistake hiring someone.

One problem is that Al a fattened defense. It will take time to build the speed we need for the old style. A slow 200 lb OLB is not worth much.

Advertisement
Who says we're switching to 4-3?

I thought Richt said he he'd leave the scheme to the DC?

Said he's run both, had success with both, and found holes in both ...

exactly. What he has said, he does want an aggressive down hill approach but would let the new DC run the defense and whatever scheme he prefers.

Captain obvious here...A defense's success is not as dependent on whether it's a 4-3 or a 3-4 as much as it is on overall strategy. If you use a 3-4 like we have for the past 5 years, where you never fully utilize your players talents, you never blitz, you use a 2 gap, you don't trust your players and you potentially have to cover most of the field, you will never be a successful defense. Many top rated defenses use a variety of 4-3 and 3-4, however what makes them different is that they always vary their looks so that they consistently apply pressure on the offense, keep quarterbacks guessing/happy feet/quick decisions and conversely such defenses have to cover a much shorter field. Defenses are about confidence. The more successful a defense is, the more confident it is as well and visa versa.

Advertisement
Back