Now that we’re 20 games in

Allabouttheu95

stay home on gamedays Mario
Some things are pretty clear:

This team can swing the bat. If pitelli stays hot and can just remain at the mid to high 200’s this lineup is deadly 1-9. Not sure how long we see him in that 6 spot but he’s responded. Credit to Gino for tweaking this lineup like we have asked him too. It’s in a great spot right now 1-5… and I’ve always felt 6-9 is a week to week tryout until solidified.

I think we all agree there are some questions that still need to be answered: why no Long? Do we like Cyr at DH? Farrow is done?

Now the tough part… this rotation:

Friday Saturday seem to be set. Really happy to see ziehl find his groove in the Saturday role after the disastrous start as Friday guy

Let’s just act for the sake of this discussion that Rosario is out as Sunday guy:
Rafe? Chestnut? Rosario to midweek? Torres? So many questions here but the fact that Gino threw a curveball at us last night and threw Lequerica leaves me shaking my head in confusion on what his and JD’s plans are.

And my final question and why I really started this thread…. At what point do we say this team can smash it’s time to have walters start and give us what he can? Do you guys see that as an option at any point this season? We can’t keep spotting teams 4 to 5 runs a game

Teams finding their groove let’s keep it up this weekend at the Mickey Mouse ball park in North Carolina

Last edited:
Advertisement
This weekend is just one weekend but I think it is our first of several true tests and should give us an idea of what to expect the next few weeks as we play some stronger teams. We all think we can swing it. This weekend either proves that theory...or humbles this offense quick. Although it does look like the ACC is going to be chaos every weekend because there is no elite team(maybe Wake or Louisville but they have some cracks in the total dynamic) but a lot of really talented teams that can win any week vs anyone outside of about 3-4 teams(and even the bottom feeders can easily take 2 if you sleep walk).

Wakes bats have cooled off a bit (although they pummeled Elon last night) They are swinging to do damage with anything they hit so they will swing and miss at a high rate at times. So strike throwing pitchers can take advantage of that mindset. Ligon could really shine. Duke did a pretty good job of this all weekend by the looks of it. They dont run (1 guys has 6 SB's and the rest of the team has 6 total).

That being said that place is a launch pad and all it takes is 1-2 bad innings and you look up and your are down 8-4 despite playing pretty good baseball.

Their 3 starters are all legit. Not UF quality but in the ACC as tough as you can get in a weekend But again with our offense we just need 1-2 good innings to really keep us in games. Lowder is the returning pitcher of the year in the ACC and then they have Hartle and Sullivan who are two LHP who get a lot of K's. Our offense is going to have to work to score because they dont walk anyone (15BB's in about 85 innings between the 3 to go with about 135K's). So waiting for a walk, an error a hit then a bomb likely isnt happening multiple times this weekend. So we need to string some hits together. They have only give up 9 Stolen bases so I'm bracing myself for some baserunning blunders or poorly timed running.

Just find a way to get game one then give yourself 2 opportunities to take the series. It stinks to put that pressure on Ligon to win every friday but its necessary. Ziehl threw great vs NC State but benefitted a bit from our offense vs VA tech. We built a lead and Tech started to press. If he has his slider working and we put up a few early runs Ill feel good every Saturday. But I'm just still cautiously optimistic after 2 starts vs teams that are just OK right now.

Rosario is so frustrating. Frontline stuff but between the ears and emotionally just still cant put it together. We just need 1-2 of the "other" guys to figure it quick or just go on a heater

Some things are pretty clear:

This team can swing the bat. If pitelli stays hot and can just remain at the mid to high 200’s this lineup is deadly 1-9. Not sure how long we see him in that 6 spot but he’s responded. Credit to Gino for tweaking this lineup like we have asked him too. It’s in a great spot right now 1-5… and I’ve always felt 6-9 is a week to week tryout until solidified.

I think we all agree there are some questions that still need to be answered: why no Long? Do we like Cyr at DH? Farrow is done?

Now the tough part… this rotation:

Friday Saturday seem to be set. Really happy to see ziehl find his groove in the Saturday role after the disastrous start as Friday guy

Let’s just act for the sake of this discussion that Rosario is out as Sunday guy:
Rafe? Chestnut? Rosario to midweek? Torres? So many questions here but the fact that Gino threw a curveball at us last night and threw Lequerica leaves me shaking my head in confusion on what his and JD’s plans are.

And my final question and why I really started this thread…. At what point do we say this team can smash it’s time to have walters start and give us what he can? Do you guys see that as an option at any point this season? We can’t keep spotting teams 4 to 5 runs a game

Teams finding their groove let’s keep it up this weekend at the Mickey Mouse ball park in North Carolina
Good analysis. The obvious question is the Sunday starter.

Why not try one other option if none of the other names step up as a Sunday starter - bullpen game/opener? It's effectively what we are doing now w as bad as Rosario has been.

By trying it on Sunday, you may have won the series already and, even if not, you've got two days off after Sunday such that you can let multiple bullpen guys go full throttle.

But to your point about comebacks running out, make sure the opener is someone who can give you one - two innings without imploding (Walters, Scinta, Torres, etc).

Advertisement
Back