Now that UM has a SEC coach at the helm..

Advertisement
We win our bowl game and I'd bet we are in the top 25 to start next year. May even sneak into the polls this year.

right?

Everyone talking about coordinators coming, I'm more interested in what bagmen we have on the way for these high school 'croots!

Advertisement
do the Canes automatically get a pre-season top-10 ranking?

We got the wrong one. The one we got is a Choke Artist in Big Games! Nobody respects a Choke Artist.

Anyone complaining about hiring Richt should take into account the last 10 years of Miami football. Would you rather lose a big game or two a season or continue to go 6-6?

Honestly, I hope MR turns into a Raging Savage that is Obsessed with Winning NCs. If not, he will fail at UM! We were one year too early for Herman to be ready!

GO MR! Get It Done!

We got the wrong one. The one we got is a Choke Artist in Big Games! Nobody respects a Choke Artist.

Anyone complaining about hiring Richt should take into account the last 10 years of Miami football. Would you rather lose a big game or two a season or continue to go 6-6?

Honestly, I hope MR turns into a Raging Savage that is Obsessed with Winning NCs. If not, he will fail at UM! We were one year too early for Herman to be ready!

GO MR! Get It Done!

I think he'll be motivated by the change of scenery. Plus sounds like he will be taking a hands on approach with the offense. In any case rejoice in the fact that we have a competent coach for the first time in what feels like forever.

Advertisement
New staff, kaaya back, and depending on the recruiting class...I think it's almost a lock to be ranked to start the year.

Advertisement
How many big games did Jimmy Johnson win at Oklahoma State? Did he ever beat Nebraska or Oklahoma? 0-5 against both. He beat one team, Baylor ranked 20th at the end of the season. Otherwise, no wins against ranked teams.

Richt will keep kids from Miami, at Miami. He's a big-name hire, which is what I wanted from Davis. I was more worried that in a couple of years, the negative recruiting about Davis' age would start, like it did with Spurrier. Richt needs to get a ruthless DC. Rumor is that Rocker is coming to coach DL, which is a good start. Maybe now, Miami can actually get some DT's that are worth something.

Advertisement
How many big games did Jimmy Johnson win at Oklahoma State? Did he ever beat Nebraska or Oklahoma? 0-5 against both. He beat one team, Baylor ranked 20th at the end of the season. Otherwise, no wins against ranked teams.

Richt will keep kids from Miami, at Miami. He's a big-name hire, which is what I wanted from Davis. I was more worried that in a couple of years, the negative recruiting about Davis' age would start, like it did with Spurrier. Richt needs to get a ruthless DC. Rumor is that Rocker is coming to coach DL, which is a good start. Maybe now, Miami can actually get some DT's that are worth something.

JJ lost two NCs at Miami by being out coached plus another Bowl game before that. We all love him because he made us hated but he was not ready for the big stage yet. He learn and got ready.

Mark has a lot more experience as NC but I doubt he ever wins us an NC unless the bite in his dog grows. JJ lacked experience; Mark lacks attitude. Butch lacked some coaching skill but loaded with nasty and impeccable talent acquisition skills. If Mark can raise his game at this late stag, then we have a shot but we missed the chance to return to the Miami we were by giving Butch the helm. One thing for sure, we have a heck of a lot better coach today than we had before Clemson game. We win coastal next year for sure.

Wasn't UGA the preseason No. 1?

Do you watch football? Who won last year and brought back most of their team? No way that was a serious question.

Sorry, I have a life. No time to worry about who's coming back for anyone but the Canes. So they were #9 . Still in the Top 10, so still relevant to the OP's point.

JJ lost two NCs at Miami by being out coached plus another Bowl game before that. We all love him because he made us hated but he was not ready for the big stage yet. He learn and got ready.

Mark has a lot more experience as NC but I doubt he ever wins us an NC unless the bite in his dog grows. JJ lacked experience; Mark lacks attitude. Butch lacked some coaching skill but loaded with nasty and impeccable talent acquisition skills. If Mark can raise his game at this late stag, then we have a shot but we missed the chance to return to the Miami we were by giving Butch the helm. One thing for sure, we have a heck of a lot better coach today than we had before Clemson game. We win coastal next year for sure.

Great post

I couldn't resist throwing a bone to the U fan base. You all just picked up a great coach at a great time. I've been a UGA fan all my life and graduated during Richt's tenure.

Please don't fret about his lack of championships. He is a fantastic coach and our best years were with him as the OC. When Bobo took over, whom I hated to see leave and be the target of all of UGA's fans, Richt had already groomed him to continue calling the same offense. Both of our SEC championships were with Richt as the playcaller. He explained in his exit interview that he will be more hands-on with the play calling at his next position. Just remember - for every time a U fan complains of a draw play from shotgun (which Richt WILL call often), there will be a deep play action call coming later in the game that was set up intentionally.

In response to Richt winning no national championships, please look further than the crud reported about his inability to win big games. "Big game" losses are always scrutinized and targeted by pundits (and fans) as the end all be all. Yes we lost some big games, but we also won a bunch too. When Alabama beat us in 2008, they were staked to a 31-0 halftime lead. They destroyed us in the first half ... but we destroyed them in the second half. Unfortunately, it was too deep of a hole. Alabama DID NOT change it's offense in the second half to run the clock out, but the second half comeback is never reported. However, Bama waxed us this year but no one reports how our team was projected to finish 8-4 by reporters and odds-makers. Only two returning WR this year and no QB to speak of. Schottenheimer was a huge bust. If anything, our team over-achieved this year.

Here's another nugget that doesn't get reported ... UGA was EXTREMELY close to playing for the National Championship THREE times during his tenure. Those three years are the ONLY years during Richt's tenure that UGA did not have a huge injury to a major contributor. When our team stayed healthy, Richt maximized the talent.

Please give the man a chance. He served us well and will do the same for you. I hope the U has many successful years with Richt, and if UGA doesn't win the NC, I hope Miami does. Richt deserves it and so does the U.

One more thing ... the personal conduct policies will be the only thing that you should worry about. Richt doesn't play when it comes to illegal and/or immoral actions. The team better be ready for this or you'll see some suspensions quickly. Spurrier once said he loved playing UGA early in the year because some key players were guaranteed to be suspended. While true, accountability should be present for everyone.

Good luck, Canes!

Advertisement
Back