Notre Dame @ Duke

Advertisement
What was that Dawson quote a fews weeks ago? Something like 'be a conservative ***** and find out'?

Sitting on a 1pt lead... Then rushing 3 on 4th down cost then the game, their QB... And maybe their season.

Another coach blows a game coaching scared in a critical moment. They came after the QB on the previous 2 plays with great results so why would you rush 3 on 4th and 16. Smh...
Auburn kept putting UGA in third and longs then would go 3-4 man rush. I’ve seen more third and longs converted today than the whole year. After defenses played aggressive the first two downs

Mike Elko calls the perfect defensive game for all but one play.

Then calls the worst defensive play in college football this century.

He deserved to lose that game.

Playing scared never wins games.
I don’t understand how they bring pressure all drive and it works then on 4th and 16 you decide to rush 3. I knew they were doomed when they dropped that pic. Funny part is it was like rewatching that ND defense on that final drive last week vs OSU. Had the same thing happen to them. They were getting to McCord then decided to play soft on the most important play.

Advertisement
Auburn kept putting UGA in third and longs then would go 3-4 man rush. I’ve seen more third and longs converted today than the whole year. After defenses played aggressive the first two downs

This has been going on in football since they quit wearing leather helmets. And it rarely works out.

Some Psych PhD candidate would win an award by writing their thesis on this subject.

Advertisement
This has been going on in football since they quit wearing leather helmets. And it rarely works out.

Some Psych PhD candidate would win an award by writing their thesis on this subject.
USC ran a cover two and the LB just took off sprinting towards the deep middle while defending absolutely nothing. The wr just cut behind him while he was sprinting in his drop and split the the safeties lol. That was on third and forever.

These soft zones from 3 man rushes us so freaking dumb. There’s just too much space to cover now and most of the qb’s have wheels. Aggression is your only chance unless you have an all star DL.

After today I have learned one thing... survive and advance. So many arguments could be made about the polls. Just keep winning

Last edited:
I’ve had high ankle sprains that were awful and I was on crutches for weeks. Bad high ankle sprains can ruin a season. Ive also partially tore a ligament in ankle and couldn’t put weight on it for two months. Some times you can walk on a break and can’t put pressure on a high ankle sprain.

Ankles can be weird.

I've had a really bad ankle sprain and the doctor straight up told me I would have been better off breaking it.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I think this is due to coaches' propensity to maintain balance in their playcalling. Most don't wanna blitz every down or almost every down, and no matter what the numbers say they'll always take the pressure off and "play coverage" on some plays because that's what they know.

As the game continues to evolve, I think it'll eventually get to the point where the question won't be whether to bring pressure on any given play, but where to bring it from and what coverage to play behind it. Players are too fast and skilled now and offenses are too potent to sit back, and this trend will continue as rule changes will keep benefiting offenses and protecting QBs.

As far as this game goes, rushing 3 on 4th & 16 after bringing pressure the entire drive was begging to get beat. And apart from the dropped INT, they could have also put the game away by going for it on 4th & 3 around ND's 35 with 2 minutes left instead of pooch punting & giving the ball back. Coaches always underestimate how hard it is to stop an offense that is working with 4 downs and will keep going for it on 4th. They should have gone for the kill. I don't think Duke was ready for the big stage.

I've had a really bad ankle sprain and the doctor straight up tell me I was better off breaking it.
Same here. I had such a bad ankle sprain wrestling that the pain shot up to my knee. I thought I tore something at first. I didn't walk right for over a month, let alone wrestle.

Advertisement
I don’t understand how they bring pressure all drive and it works then on 4th and 16 you decide to rush 3. I knew they were doomed when they dropped that pic. Funny part is it was like rewatching that ND defense on that final drive last week vs OSU. Had the same thing happen to them. They were getting to McCord then decided to play soft on the most important play.

man that 4 and 16th i was just screaming WTF Are YOU DOING!! The blitzing was working, Hartman was doing terrible under pressure and then they only rush 3. Of course Hartman has all day to throw and runs for 20 plus yards.

Mike Elko calls the perfect defensive game for all but one play.

Then calls the worst defensive play in college football this century.

He deserved to lose that game.

Playing scared never wins games.

I also didn't like how conservative he got on Duke 2nd to last drive. They run the ball all 3 downs and instead of kicking the field goal they go for a short punt. I know Duke kicker missed 2 FGs but I rather miss a 3rd then just punt with a 1 point lead. Elko lost that game

Advertisement
Back