Note on Tirek Austin-Cave official visit

How many official visits has he taken? WVU, Pitt, and Cuse we shall see. Not bag schools typically so its about fit then.
Different sort of energy in South Florida and at the U these days. Who wouldn't want to be in Coral Gables as opposed to Pittsburgh, Morgantown or Syracuse....the last one is so dreary I suspect for much of the year. I went to a UM game there around November 1994 and couldn't wait to get out.

I like our chances especially since this doesn''t seem like a bag situation.

Advertisement
I don't think it's an indictment on recruiting at all. Everyone wants to win championships. We can't compete with that yet. Elite players get recruited by the elite programs. I don't care how good our defense is or what the depth chart looks like. Until we prove we can compete with the top programs we're not going to sign all the elite players. It's that simple.
We rarely recruited with the elite....so much revisionist history...D.J. Williams and Jesse Armstead were exceptions....we got very good guys who were not top drawer, like Darren Smith, Jon Vilma (yes that's right not a big name nationally), Mike Barrow (maybe borderline national elite but mainly heavily pursued by us and UF.) When there were national elites in South Florida we didn't get them: Rich McKenzie, Sterling Palmer, Keith Carter, Marvin Jones, Lamont Green, etc.

I remember when we lost Devin McDonald to Note Dame. His less coveted twin stayed home in Pittsburgh and turned out to be a better player.

The guys we DID get were very good players and great kids who surpassed the national elites: Vilma, Barrow, Darrin Smith, Dan Morgan, and Ray Lewis who signed with nobody on LOI day.

This kid Austin-Cave sounds EXACTLY like the kind of kid we won NC's with. Forget "elite." Kid is fast, sounds like he has tons of heart, and will not quit. Probably intelligent and very coachable.

We rarely recruited with the elite....so much revisionist history...D.J. Williams and Jesse Armstead were exceptions....we got very good guys who were not top drawer, like Darren Smith, Jon Vilma (yes that's right not a big name nationally), Mike Barrow (maybe borderline national elite but mainly heavily pursued by us and UF.) When there were national elites in South Florida we didn't get them: Rich McKenzie, Sterling Palmer, Keith Carter, Marvin Jones, Lamont Green, etc.

I remember when we lost Devin McDonald to Note Dame. His less coveted twin stayed home in Pittsburgh and turned out to be a better player.

The guys we DID get were very good players and great kids who surpassed the national elites: Vilma, Barrow, Darrin Smith, Dan Morgan, and Ray Lewis who signed with nobody on LOI day.

This kid Austin-Cave sounds EXACTLY like the kind of kid we won NC's with. Forget "elite." Kid is fast, sounds like he has tons of heart, and will not quit. Probably intelligent and very coachable.

Well-stated. I'd be delighted with a LB class of Mathis, Austin-Cave, and possible Hyppolite. Obviously, Flowe would be nice, but we can still have an excellent group if we don't get him.

Advertisement
Different sort of energy in South Florida and at the U these days. Who wouldn't want to be in Coral Gables as opposed to Pittsburgh, Morgantown or Syracuse....the last one is so dreary I suspect for much of the year. I went to a UM game there around November 1994 and couldn't wait to get out.

I like our chances especially since this doesn''t seem like a bag situation.

There was a LOCAL kid last cycle we wanted that chose Cuse over us.

Advertisement

This. People forget what the U was built on... people think this whole bag game is something new this millennium. Just remember SMU and the pony express watch that 30 for 30. And let it sink in that was a smaller program that was just trying to be competitive...

We’ve always had to scout well... the thing that we always did was be innovative in our coaching philosophy’s.

Advertisement
Wasn't that because he was a Plan B kid that we got on late and he sulked about it?
No, Anthony Muñoz and actually he committed on the spot after a visit and offer. He was going to be buried in the depth chart here. No one was upset when he chose Cuse. Good luck to him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back