Not Taking a QB for 2021?

svenben

Freshman
Everyone seems to be very comfortable with this prospect. Am I taking crazy pills? So 2021 we roll with RS Freshman TVD. And if he gets injured?

Advertisement
Thats why you still have Perry, Martell and Matocha behind him.

Recruiting period is not over, the 2020 season hasnt even started. Everything is fluid. Taking a QB for the sake of taking one is not good. If we feel very comfortable with getting a good one that could potentially start down the road, we will get that QB.

And if we dont, we dont. Our offense this season is key for the future QB recruitment. AJ Duffy is a 2022 prospect and he has everything you want. If we get him, I am not worried about the QB position.

With the way things are with the transfer portal right now, you can get by without taking one every single year. It’s not an ideal setup as obviously you’d love a talented QB recruit every year but Oklahoma, Ohio State And LSU have shown it’s possible to be successful with transfer QBs. I’d rather skip a QB this cycle if the staff can’t get one they LOVE rather than waste an IC just for the sake of getting a QB.

The 2021 depth chart will be so loaded that a game manager QB with legs could win a ton of games.. no confidence in Perry, Martell and Matocha.

Advertisement
I’m usually against not taking one but with the new transfer rules and how everyone seems to get a waiver, maybe you take your shot in the off season free agency if you don’t have a legit option on the board. No reason to waste a spot on someone you don’t think can lead this team to a championship late in the 2020 recruiting window.

There’s a sentiment that we should take a lower rated QB recruit this year for depth purposes. They don’t trust that Payton Matocha is capable because he was...wait for it...a lower rated QB recruit.
If you want to throw in the towel on Perry and Martell, I can’t blame you. Although I think both will be better fits in the new offense than what we had last year. However people just dismiss Matocha who hasn’t even taken a snap simply because he wasn’t as highly rated coming in.

Advertisement
With the way things are with the transfer portal right now, you can get by without taking one every single year. It’s not an ideal setup as obviously you’d love a talented QB recruit every year but Oklahoma, Ohio State And LSU have shown it’s possible to be successful with transfer QBs. I’d rather skip a QB this cycle if the staff can’t get one they LOVE rather than waste an IC just for the sake of getting a QB.
Especially if King has a nice year with Lashlee and Lashlee is still the OC next year. If no Garcia (or another blue chip prospect), load up on talent in the recruiting class and search for a respectable transfer QB.

I could see Guarantano leaving Tennessee as a grad transfer. Not sure he's all that great but just a name off the top of my head. There will be options.

I am over the "Just take a QB every cycle even if hes a 2* just for depth purposes" days. How many times did we do that over the last 15 years and almost all of them turned out to be ****. The only success story was Malik Rosier and people forgot that he was a 3* recruit that never should have even had to play anyway and bashed him when he maxed out his potential. No more Cannon Smith types.

We have 4 QBs in the room going into 2021. Even if all of them are bad..we will find a grad transfer who wants a piece of this offense especially if DKing balls out in it. That won't be an issue at all. The way Manny is wheeling and dealing right now..Hes not going into that Bama game wielding a pocket knife and pepper spray.

Thats why you still have Perry, Martell and Matocha behind him.

Recruiting period is not over, the 2020 season hasnt even started. Everything is fluid. Taking a QB for the sake of taking one is not good. If we feel very comfortable with getting a good one that could potentially start down the road, we will get that QB.

And if we dont, we dont. Our offense this season is key for the future QB recruitment. AJ Duffy is a 2022 prospect and he has everything you want. If we get him, I am not worried about the QB position.

And the home TVD who apparently been turning heads.

Advertisement
Not implying Martell will ever be a starting QB here, but he was forced in a system that brought out the worst in him. Dan Enos forced a spread/dual threat QB in a dinosaur offense. It was a nightmare from the start. I know it was mop up duty, but Martell went 10/10 or something like that against Rutgers when he was at Ohio state. And looked electrifying. Lashlee’s offense definitely fits Martell very well.

People are freaking out about 2021 already? Let it go.

--we have a chance to grab a recruit once we hit the "Firing Head Coaches" window
--we have a chance to grab a transfer who decides he didn't like riding the bench this year
--we have a chance to grab a grad-transfer

Plenty of time. Stop going nuts over this issue.

Advertisement
We don’t need a QB this class... NKosi, TVD, and Matocha will be here in 2021. Get a transfer if necessary and land an elite QB in 2022

Still a good deal of time to impress on the field and pull in a late-rising QB.

Regarding the guys on the roster, I think this offensive system versus last year's will play to Perry and Martell's strengths (and away from their weaknesses). Perry seemed to really step up his maturity last year, so I still have some hope for him in this system if he sticks around. Tate seemed to regress mentally/psychologically, so I do not have much confidence in him at this point. Not sure either guy sticks around if he doesn't win the starting job (and we should count on at least one leaving), which could effect depth. TVD has a lot of tools, 4* pedigree, and seemed to come in correct, but neither he nor Matocha has proven anything.

I'm on the "No QB = Recruiting Failure" train, but there are two schools of thought with transfers (especially now that they all seem to be getting waivers). But either way, I am confident UM will be adding a QB between now and Game 1 vs. Baga 2021.

Still a good deal of time to impress on the field and pull in a late-rising QB.

Regarding the guys on the roster, I think this offensive system versus last year's will play to Perry and Martell's strengths (and away from their weaknesses). Perry seemed to really step up his maturity last year, so I still have some hope for him in this system if he sticks around. Tate seemed to regress mentally/psychologically, so I do not have much confidence in him at this point. Not sure either guy sticks around if he doesn't win the starting job (and we should count on at least one leaving), which could effect depth. TVD has a lot of tools, 4* pedigree, and seemed to come in correct, but neither he nor Matocha has proven anything.

I'm on the "No QB = Recruiting Failure" train, but there are two schools of thought with transfers (especially now that they all seem to be getting waivers). But either way, I am confident UM will be adding a QB between now and Game 1 vs. Baga 2021.

I would just change "late-rising" to "late-flipping".

I would also change "t!ts" to "generous scoops of mouth-watering flesh" and make them defy gravity.

Advertisement
Back