Not sure when Coach L is retiring...

Advertisement
Nope, he is going to Philly or Chicago

Maybe.

The money in college has gone up quite a bit. If he gets tired of the NBA divas and the salary cap rules, he would have more control at the college level. Worked for Nick Saban.

If he re-ups with another NBA team for 5 years, so be it. Not very common to just walk away from an NBA playoff team.

Advertisement
If am lucky today! but i dont' t know luck so don't hold your breath waiting on his retirement

Last edited:
No one that has opportunities in the NBA and college is coming to Miami to coach in front of 2-3K people....

Two years ago, I would have completely supported this idea.

Two years later, I am sure Coach L will finish his current contract and if he does not get an extension and he decides to retire, Coach Caputo will take over at Miami. Given how the football and baseball team transitioned from head coach to assistant coach, I am sure the basketball team will follow in that same path since it will more than likely be the same AD making the decision.

Advertisement
I was cool to the idea of Caputo as HC for awhile, but I am warming to the idea. First, I think it is unlikely we get a huge name high profile guy to come here if/when Coach L retires. Secondly, I think, like some of his other acolytes that went to success elsewhere, that Caputo has absorbed a great deal of Coach L's "expertise". Add in some new "younger, fresher" tactical ideas, and it could be a recipe for a winner.

I was cool to the idea of Caputo as HC for awhile, but I am warming to the idea. First, I think it is unlikely we get a huge name high profile guy to come here if/when Coach L retires. Secondly, I think, like some of his other acolytes that went to success elsewhere, that Caputo has absorbed a great deal of Coach L's "expertise". Add in some new "younger, fresher" tactical ideas, and it could be a recipe for a winner.

I'm not against Caputo, but it would depend on what Donovan wants in the way of lifestyle.

ACC is a better hoops league than the SEC is/was, so it's a nice professional challenge. I think he would have LOCAL access to better talent in SoFla than he had in Gainesville, but I'm sure he would still recruit nationally. An interesting template would be what Leonard is doing at F$U. I think Donovan could easily do that at Miami.

Not saying it will or won't happen, but I just think we should monitor the situation. He got a lot of money in the NBA and saw how it was. He got cold feet about the NBA once (the Orlando Magic job), so maybe now that he has scratched the itch, he might decide that he likes the college game more.

Of "big name coaches", I think he is one we COULD get, but I'm not predicting it.

Maybe.

The money in college has gone up quite a bit. If he gets tired of the NBA divas and the salary cap rules, he would have more control at the college level. Worked for Nick Saban.

If he re-ups with another NBA team for 5 years, so be it. Not very common to just walk away from an NBA playoff team.
Saban’s salary would have him as the 6th highest NFL head coach with the upside of college. Some years it would be higher with his bonus structure.

Donovan made a hair under 4 last year. Manny doesn’t even make that. Kansas pays Bill Self about that much. It would be great but it is a bong dream.

Advertisement
You are a consistent piece-of-****e poster. 2-3K? This isn't 1985.
You’re a consistent little *****,,., what can we do. I went back and looked, we averaged 5,605. In a stadium that houses 7,972. 30% empty. And I don’t even know how did they did calc cause sone of those games looked like hig( school last year. But I can lie if it makes you happier you low IQ idiot

He should be on the short list. Give him total autonomy with the program. Coaches have a level of control and influence in college they can't get in the league. It's more work, but for the best, that means a more successful operation.

Advertisement
You’re a consistent little *****,,., what can we do. I went back and looked, we averaged 5,605. In a stadium that houses 7,972. 30% empty. And I don’t even know how did they did calc cause sone of those games looked like hig( school last year. But I can lie if it makes you happier you low IQ idiot

Another garbage response from you.

Let me get this straight. Your argument is that a sub-.500 Miami team, which had home OOC games against Flagler and FAU and Quinnipiac and Alabama A&M and Coppin State...should be selling 2,000 more tickets per game...in order to even "attract" a good head coaching candidate?

That's why you are such a crappy porster who needs to leave the board. You just shot out some snide comment about our attendance, then you tried to double down with a half-a$$ed "hey I actually looked up a stat".

Nobody is saying that Miami's attendance is where it needs to be, but slump-shouldered mopes like you are just poison. I actually went to some Gaytors basketball games before Billy Donovan was hired, don't act like the head coach (and/or team success) has no impact on attendance.

If Billy was interested, if he was given salary and control and recruiting resources, and the team was competitive within the ACC, we'd be selling out games and talking about moving the Duke and/or UNC games to the AAA.

OriginalCane, I agree there is no sense moping over attendance. 35 years into the reestablishment of the UM hoops program, it is what it is.

But, when you talk about the connection of winning to attendance, consider this:

In the 5 seasons from 1997-2002, UM posted a 104-49 record. That included a Big East title, 3 Second Place finishes, and 5 post-season appearances (including a Sweet 16). The Big East was a premier league! And, for three of those years (including the Big East title), Leonard Hamilton was the Coach. Luike Donovan, he's a future HoFer.

In the 5 seasons between 2012-18, we went 151-66. That included 5 post-season appearances (including another Sweet 16) , and a "Double" in the tough ACC (Reg season + Tourney win).

All those years we thought the building of an on-campus facility would solve attendance problems. It didn't! Neither did the two 5 year winning stretches highlighted above.

It's also laughable how the Ath Dept claims the facility is "sold out" every year. Maybe it is on paper; but, surely not even close in terms of actual people occupying seats.

OriginalCane, I agree there is no sense moping over attendance. 35 years into the reestablishment of the UM hoops program, it is what it is.

But, when you talk about the connection of winning to attendance, consider this:

In the 5 seasons from 1997-2002, UM posted a 104-49 record. That included a Big East title, 3 Second Place finishes, and 5 post-season appearances (including a Sweet 16). The Big East was a premier league! And, for three of those years (including the Big East title), Leonard Hamilton was the Coach. Luike Donovan, he's a future HoFer.

In the 5 seasons between 2012-18, we went 151-66. That included 5 post-season appearances (including another Sweet 16) , and a "Double" in the tough ACC (Reg season + Tourney win).

All those years we thought the building of an on-campus facility would solve attendance problems. It didn't! Neither did the two 5 year winning stretches highlighted above.

It's also laughable how the Ath Dept claims the facility is "sold out" every year. Maybe it is on paper; but, surely not even close in terms of actual people occupying seats.

I agree, there is a layer of "season ticket holder buys tickets but rarely attends" group. I have a basketball season-ticket-holder friend who lives up here in Orlando. I'd be willing to bet that those seats are empty with some regularity.

UM needs to figure out a way to get more creative with basketball tickets, such as creating their own "re-selling" capability on the hurricanesports.com website. I realize that there are often "partnerships" and "sponsorships" that make it seem as though a team can't do this, but I have seen numerous pro teams that I follow and/or have tickets with that will allow season ticket holders to resell quickly and easily, and without all the rules and regulations that third party companies like StubHub have.

I do respect what you are saying. I agree that there will always be "ticket holder no-show" for Coppin State. But I think that UM could do a lot more to facilitate the recirculation of tickets for basketball. Football is easy, most of the games are on the weekend. The basketball schedule and mid-week games can be problematic for professionals with jobs in downtown Miami or Lauderdale or West Palm.

The new arena has improved matters, but we need some prolonged excitement/success to make the games a desirable event. Baseball maintains a fairly consistent attendance record and they play even more home games than hoops does. So I think Blake needs to address a few areas, and the coach can handle the excitement/success factor. Blake needs to figure out event/traditions/promos that will make the games worthy of a family making the commitment to attend most games, and then we need to make it super easy for people to sell/transfer tickets if they decide that they can't make a particular game. I think that will cut down on a lot of the "no-show" factor.

We also need to acknowledge that there is a LOT of competition for sports/entertainment attendance in SoFla (way more so than in college towns) and we have to do everything we can to build a culture around the basketball program that is unique and will drive a core group of 8 to 10 thousand fans to want to follow and attend multiple times throughout every season. There's a fine line to walk between "guaranteed" income from big boosters and football season ticket holders, and the natural desire to see all the seats in the arena filled for every game. Right now, we skew too much towards "hey, you're a football ST holder, why don't you buy STs for hoops even if you won't attend."

I wonder what the all-time high-attendance home game for us has been? I recall going to a game at the Miami Arena. I think it might've been the 1994-95 season, where we played St. John's or UConn. Constantin Popa was a big factor in a close, exciting win that I swear had 11,000+ in attendance. (And that was a mediocre UM team as far as record went.)

The Miami Arena seated 15,000 or so. If the on-campus arena seated 15,000, anyone think we'd have ever reached 11,000 attendance yet? We'll never know but I'm sorta doubting it.

Advertisement
Back