Not smart, poorly coached, overrated talent but also severely unlucky

Canes Legacy

Senior
Premium
I’ll preface this by saying to refer to the thread title. UNC is/was the better team all around and in no way am I saying the below changes that. We are a flawed team in key areas.

I think back to 3 plays where luck went against us or the ball bounced the wrong way and it seems to happen way more against us than in our favor. That may speak to the coaching, talent, awareness, etc. but I think it’s worth noting.

Play1- First drive- pressure forces Maye to make a poor decision. DP2 is waiting like it’s a ******* a punt return to pick it off and try to take it to the house. JW comes flying in not knowing and tries to make a play. Ends up tipping it away. Loss of field position + points.

Play #2- Maye is standing in his end zone and Bain has a free run AT HIS BLINDSIDE. Maye holds onto the ball it’s a safety. But no, he fumbles in his own end zone and a UNC TE I believe picks it up and runs it for a minimal loss. 99% of the time in that situation it’s points for the other team be it a safety or TD for the defense. Loss of points.

Play 3- Poor snap to TVD, ball ends up at his feet with a RB standing next to him. 2 guys have a chance to fall on it. What happens? It gets knocked around and UNC recovers. Potential loss of points + field position.

Factor all the above in with the coverage busts, turnovers, penalties, etc. and you will continue to lose games in painful fashion. Not sure what the solution is but next week the season has a good chance of continuing its current nosedive trend.

Advertisement
Parrish fumbles at the 1.

Let me say this. You are what your record says you are. Inconsistent and no leadership on or off the field.

Who knows we will probably beat Clemson only to lose the next week with no pulse.

Let me say this. You are what your record says you are. Inconsistent and no leadership on or off the field.

Who knows we will probably beat Clemson only to lose the next week with no pulse.
this lol. not sure you dont have the fumble on there

Advertisement
I don’t consider a regular fumble unlucky. Unfortunate where it happened but he ran into a defenders leg it looked like and the ball popped out. Falls into the talent category in my eyes.

If it was any other RB then, fair. But, the dude literally hadn't fumbled in 2 full seasons? AND had both hands on the ball when he ran into a dude that was being blocked and couldn't tackle him. I've seen players fumble from running into the back of their own lineman getting knocked back...have never seen that **** before.

Yep. If you dint think the result would have been the same if Parrish didn’t fumble or TVD didn’t get a bad snap, you’re dreaming.

Advertisement
It’s been said we create our own luck.

The Parrish fumble was an anomaly as he hit his arm on a defenders knee.
The errant snap from Lee was another anomaly as he is typically very reliable.
JW’s aggressiveness on the potential DPJ pick is just a player trying to make a bang bang play.

Many times, it does seem the aforementioned situations don’t go our way.

Advertisement
We are running a vanilla offense. Nothing changes from week to week. Our running game has stalled because, again, vanilla. Our passing game has stalled because TVD concentrates too much on finding Restrepo,,,when others are open. We need to open up the offense if we can!

Advertisement
We are running a vanilla offense. Nothing changes from week to week. Our running game has stalled because, again, vanilla. Our passing game has stalled because TVD concentrates too much on finding Restrepo,,,when others are open. We need to open up the offense if we can!
Won’t happen with TVD and Restrepo.

It’s been said we create our own luck.

The Parrish fumble was an anomaly as he hit his arm on a defenders knee.
The errant snap from Lee was another anomaly as he is typically very reliable.
JW’s aggressiveness on the potential DPJ pick is just a player trying to make a bang bang play.

Many times, it does seem the aforementioned situations don’t go our way.
Have we been unlucky? Recently it seems like it. However, over the course of a season it generally evens out. The one place where it didn't even out, I would say was last year with our run of injuries.

The problem is if you play undisciplined and poorly prepared, then the impact of bad luck is magnified, and benefits of good luck are minimized.

The bottom line is we continually beat ourselves and not in a position to take advantage of opportunities when they happen.

Last edited:
I can’t remember playing a team that out did us with penalties. Those mistakes and TO’s were costly. NC was putting themselves in a position to lose the game.

Advertisement
Back