Not Out Of The Woods Yet?

hotshot

Sophomore
Today's Washington Post has a major article at the top of its Sports section. Title is " Should Federal Resources Be Used To Enforce NCAA Rules." Right below that are two pictures -- one of Rick Pitino and the other of Jim Larranaga.

Basically, the two page expose rehashes what has already been reported, with an emphasis on the probe entering a "legal gray area."

Couple statements from the piece re Larranaga:

- "One morning late last August, ... Jim Larranaga was about to board a flight to North Carolina for a recruiting trip when he got a phone call from his wife. Two FBI agent were at the house, Liz Larranaga told her husband. She then handed the phone to one of the agents, who asked Jim to remain at the airport until they reached him."

- "While criminal complaints allege ... Pitino and Larranaga arranged bribes for recruits, neither has been charged with a crime. Nor has Miller, the NBA agent whose office was raided."

- "Pitino ... adamantly maintains he has never arranged payment for recruits. So has Larranaga, who spoke with FBI agents for several hours last August and has turned over reams of (records) ... in an effort to clear his name, according to his attorney Stuart Z. Grossman. 'We're baffled,' said Grossman, who provided the account of the coach's experience last August. 'They won't charge him, and they won't tell us what it is they have or think they have."

Advertisement
Today's Washington Post has a major article at the top of its Sports section. Title is " Should Federal Resources Be Used To Enforce NCAA Rules." Right below that are two pictures -- one of Rick Pitino and the other of Jim Larranaga.

Basically, the two page expose rehashes what has already been reported, with an emphasis on the probe entering a "legal gray area."

Couple statements from the piece re Larranaga:

- "One morning late last August, ... Jim Larranaga was about to board a flight to North Carolina for a recruiting trip when he got a phone call from his wife. Two FBI agent were at the house, Liz Larranaga told her husband. She then handed the phone to one of the agents, who asked Jim to remain at the airport until they reached him."

- "While criminal complaints allege ... Pitino and Larranaga arranged bribes for recruits, neither has been charged with a crime. Nor has Miller, the NBA agent whose office was raided."

- "Pitino ... adamantly maintains he has never arranged payment for recruits. So has Larranaga, who spoke with FBI agents for several hours last August and has turned over reams of (records) ... in an effort to clear his name, according to his attorney Stuart Z. Grossman. 'We're baffled,' said Grossman, who provided the account of the coach's experience last August. 'They won't charge him, and they won't tell us what it is they have or think they have."

so they tried to go after L and found no link outside of Augustine? id be worried about the NCAA bc they play by their own rules when it comes to punishment. im sure we can appeal if anything is even levied our way, but we don't want it to take another recruiting class from us

The line I thought was most important was from Stan Grossman: "They won't charge him, and they won't tell us what it is they have or think they have."

"Ten teams of FBI agents made arrests in 10 states that week, according to court records and people familiar with the investigation, while an 11th group of agents raided the New Jersey office of prominent NBA agent Andy Miller.
All of those charged today contributed to a pay-to-play culture that has no business in college basketball," said Bill Sweeney, assistant director in charge of the FBI's New York field office. "Today's arrests should serve as a warning to others. … We have your playbook."

This from the same organization whose Tip Center and Field agents can't synergize information and stop a school shooter...At the same time we find out their key counter Intelligence agent is so enamored with the easy lawyer at the office, he will sabatoge a candidate to win her favor...This while his boss's wife takes $$$ from a partisan political party.

"If you take away the NCAA rules, there's no criminal case here," said Randall Eliason, a former federal prosecutor and law professor at George Washington University. "There are some legitimate questions about whether this was a wise use of resources."

One of those space filler articles where the answer is so obvious, it's absurd...Nice job Bezos, lets hope your rockets do better in space.

Pretty dumb and misleading thread title. All that you mentioned in there was before they dropped the charges against Augustine.

Unless something else comes out, they have nothing on Miami. Having to drop those charges is highly embarassing for the DOJ. They overreached big-time and it didn't work

Advertisement
"Ten teams of FBI agents made arrests in 10 states that week, according to court records and people familiar with the investigation, while an 11th group of agents raided the New Jersey office of prominent NBA agent Andy Miller.
All of those charged today contributed to a pay-to-play culture that has no business in college basketball," said Bill Sweeney, assistant director in charge of the FBI's New York field office. "Today's arrests should serve as a warning to others. … We have your playbook."

This from the same organization whose Tip Center and Field agents can't synergize information and stop a school shooter...At the same time we find out their key counter Intelligence agent is so enamored with the easy lawyer at the office, he will sabatoge a candidate to win her favor...This while his boss's wife takes $$$ from a partisan political party.

"If you take away the NCAA rules, there's no criminal case here," said Randall Eliason, a former federal prosecutor and law professor at George Washington University. "There are some legitimate questions about whether this was a wise use of resources."

One of those space filler articles where the answer is so obvious, it's absurd...Nice job Bezos, lets hope your rockets do better in space.

While this investigation is dumb and a waste of resources, **** off with blanket bashing of the FBI based on the precious Fox News you watch 24/7.

I was in the DOJ's honors program after law school and worked with FBI guys all the time. These guys are really good for the most part, and anyone who thinks the FBI is political has been brainwashed by their "media" so I'm not going to argue it further.

Also, the US attorney, the guy who actually decides whether to move forward with the prosecution, is an appointee of the current president. So much for you trying to make this political

I wish the FBI would go into $EC football country and check things out.

Pretty dumb and misleading thread title. All that you mentioned in there was before they dropped the charges against Augustine.

Unless something else comes out, they have nothing on Miami. Having to drop those charges is highly embarassing for the DOJ. They overreached big-time and it didn't work
There was no mention of Augustine in today's Post article. At least, I don't think there was (it was long!). As Grossman says, though, even now the FBI won't show their cards as to what they have, or "think they have." That appears to be Grossman's "take" AFTER the Augustine news. Sounds like he doesn't think the Augustine matter settled the issue.

Someone should do an investigation of how Miami could be so bad at cheating since we must be the worst cheaters of all time. Shapiro claims he bought recruits, yet we won jack sh#t. USC cheated and won national titles. We couldn't even win acc coastal with all that "cheating."

Coach L is alleged by the fake news media to have bribed recruits, which obviously explains why we have a 5'2" point guard and can't past the Sweet 16.

Advertisement
Someone should do an investigation of how Miami could be so bad at cheating since we must be the worst cheaters of all time. Shapiro claims he bought recruits, yet we won jack sh#t. USC cheated and won national titles. We couldn't even win acc coastal with all that "cheating."

Coach L is alleged by the fake news media to have bribed recruits, which obviously explains why we have a 5'2" point guard and can't past the Sweet 16.
Funny and all but Lykes was a top 50 recruit

Chris Lykes was an elite recruit who could've signed with any number of programs with higher profile than UM. When you are All-Met (DC/NoVa/Md suburban) Player of the Year that's a given!

While this investigation is dumb and a waste of resources, **** off with blanket bashing of the FBI based on the precious Fox News you watch 24/7.

I was in the DOJ's honors program after law school and worked with FBI guys all the time. These guys are really good for the most part, and anyone who thinks the FBI is political has been brainwashed by their "media" so I'm not going to argue it further.

Also, the US attorney, the guy who actually decides whether to move forward with the prosecution, is an appointee of the current president. So much for you trying to make this political

Blanket Bashing of the FBI? Wow, whatever you charge for a billable hour is highway robbery, since you ASSume way too much...Here is a rundown:

- I start of my day with CBS News this Morning and see both CNN and your dreaded Fox News at different times through the day. If I need more info on a story, I have used Daily Caller, The Atlantic, Axios, The Hill, and Slate.

- I'm sorry I didn't go to your honors program @ DOJ, I was too busy working in federal law enforcement carrying .38 (yeah, some mileage here), 9mm and 5.56 pretty much everyday for 15 years and now work in a similar capacity in a different part of the same entity. I also had the privilege to work with some FBI agents in one of the most active field offices, including with a UM grad. The best ones I found were former law enforcement who had some salt to them. The stereotype of the FBI person being a Lawyer/Accountant with a badge and weapon they barely qualified with, was exactly that, a stereotype, meaning there was some truth to it, but not across the board. Like any bureaucracy (how long was your honors program? Six months?) the tone is set from the top and most of the rank and file dutifully follow along (37 years experience talking here). However, there is always a group who wants to get to the top and serve whatever masters they need to get there. Masters? Fun Fact: Louis Freeh was the last non-acting FBI Director who had actually been an FBI Special Agent! Since then (2001), we have had purely lawyers who have bounced between private practice and US Attorney offices. The "Rank and File" see this and realize they are not trusted to get the top job unless they go over, in some capacity, to the US attorney side, which you can't deny has political undertones working for DOJ (if your "Honors Program" didn't expose you to that, it may be honors, but not very in-depth). Human nature is human nature and if you can't read the agents and attorneys texts yourself and put in the context of the FISA court set up/dossier...Well, stick to personal injury law and leave criminal investigative technique to the pros. Funny, no mention of the botched shooter ID from you ether; lawyers are usually pretty glib, why the silence?

As it pertains to FBI criticism, you must realize that any large organization must be open to questioning or inevitably fail. Even the old Soviets would publish criticisms of their organizations in publications to send a dog whistle to the offenders. Our institutions should be no different. Interestingly enough, it sure seems it's not just Fox News who has criticized the FBI in the recent past:

https://www.cnn.com/2013/09/02/opinion/neighly-fbi-background-checks/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2013/05/02/opinion/schneier-boston-bombing/index.html

Finally to the topic Du jour, the basketball case. You really think that Interim US Attorney Berman started the prosecution? Lets check the video, shall we:

Preet Bharara, who started this investigation, like a lot of lawyers, loved the spotlight and this is a splashy case. When Trump canned him, Joon Kim, with the US Attorney SDNY since 2013, suceeded him and kept going. Bermen is Johnny come lately.

Ambulance-o.gif

Start Chasing...

Last edited:
Blanket Bashing of the FBI? Wow, whatever you charge for a billable hour is highway robbery, since you ASSume way too much...Here is a rundown:

- I start of my day with CBS News this Morning and see both CNN and your dreaded Fox News at different times through the day. If I need more info on a story, I have used Daily Caller, The Atlantic, Axios, The Hill, and Slate.

- I'm sorry I didn't go to your honors program @ DOJ, I was too busy working in federal law enforcement carrying .38 (yeah, some mileage here), 9mm and 5.56 pretty much everyday for 15 years and now work in a similar capacity in a different part of the same entity. I also had the privilege to work with some FBI agents in one of the most active field offices, including with a UM grad. The best ones I found were former law enforcement who had some salt to them. The stereotype of the FBI person being a Lawyer/Accountant with a badge and weapon they barely qualified with, was exactly that, a stereotype, meaning there was some truth to it, but not across the board. Like any bureaucracy (how long was your honors program? Six months?) the tone is set from the top and most of the rank and file dutifully follow along (37 years experience talking here). However, there is always a group who wants to get to the top and serve whatever masters they need to get there. Masters? Fun Fact: Louis Freeh was the last non-acting FBI Director who had actually been an FBI Special Agent! Since then (2001), we have had purely lawyers who have bounced between private practice and US Attorney offices. The "Rank and File" see this and realize they are not trusted to get the top job unless they go over, in some capacity, to the US attorney side, which you can't deny has political undertones working for DOJ (if your "Honors Program" didn't expose you to that, it may be honors, but not very in-depth). Human nature is human nature and if you can't read the agents and attorneys texts yourself and put in the context of the FISA court set up/dossier...Well, stick to personal injury law and leave criminal investigative technique to the pros. Funny, no mention of the botched shooter ID from you ether; lawyers are usually pretty glib, why the silence?

As it pertains to FBI criticism, you must realize that any large organization must be open to questioning or inevitably fail. Even the old Soviets would publish criticisms of their organizations in publications to send a dog whistle to the offenders. Our institutions should be no different. Interestingly enough, it sure seems it's not just Fox News who has criticized the FBI in the recent past:

Finally to the topic Du jour, the basketball case. You really think that Interim US Attorney Berman started the prosecution? Lets check the video, shall we:

Preet Bharara, who started this investigation, like a lot of lawyers, loved the spotlight and this is a splashy case. When Trump canned him, Joon Kim, with the US Attorney SDNY since 2013, suceeded him and kept going. Bermen is Johnny come lately.

View attachment 58626

Start Chasing...

RichtShow will have a heart attack if you criticize anything he supports. Nothing he supports can do no wrong. Richt, Laranaga, and Golden are all 100% Perfect who can do no wrong. If you dare question them you are a Gator Troll or in this case a Trump Troll. He would rather keep his head in the sand and let them do as they please.

Advertisement
Emmert will find a way to ***** us even if we’re cleared by the FBI.
That's the thing. The FBI doesn't really ever "clear" people. They either refer the case for prosecution, or they don't. So don't expect any positive statements from them. Meanwhile, the clouds remain overhead.

View attachment 58626

Start Chasing...

****!!!

This has to be the post of the year!

Advertisement

View attachment 58626

Start Chasing...

Ignorance and arrogance are a dangerous combination. You think the FBI conspired against the Trump campaign and Steele was a “set up dossier”?

Pray tell what public comment did the FBI make on the active investigation of Trump-Russia election conspiracy during the election (there weren’t even leaks of the existence of the active investigation until the election was over).

And your disgraceful hit job on Steele is completely untethered from reality. Although you obviously don’t care, this is what fact-based reporting looks like:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...r-steele-the-man-behind-the-trump-dossier/amp

Ignorance and arrogance are a dangerous combination. You think the FBI conspired against the Trump campaign and Steele was a “set up dossier”?

Pray tell what public comment did the FBI make on the active investigation of Trump-Russia election conspiracy during the election (there weren’t even leaks of the existence of the active investigation until the election was over).

And your disgraceful hit job on Steele is completely untethered from reality. Although you obviously don’t care, this is what fact-based reporting looks like:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...r-steele-the-man-behind-the-trump-dossier/amp

Hit job on Steele? Gee, strawman much, considering I didn't mention Steele? I know, it's cover for the New Yorker piece you were dying to use. Boy, that article reads like the usual "conjecture is our business" intelligence report...Stee...'err Meyer sure layed it on thick. If you spent time in Iraq, watching the Survey Group at work, you would understand, but alas you want to believe what you want to the believe (hey, maybe intel work would be good for you). Funny, Stee...'err Meyer, didn't mention this:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-london-court-in-civil-case-over-dossier.html

Oh Richt Show will freak, it's Fox.

For an alternative, try this:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/14...ied-steeles-hearsay-grant-surveillance-order/

I think if you want ignorance or arrogance, look in the mirror.

[QUOTE="Funny, Stee...'err Meyer, didn't mention this:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-london-court-in-civil-case-over-dossier.html

http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/14...ied-steeles-hearsay-grant-surveillance-order/

I think if you want ignorance or arrogance, look in the mirror.[/QUOTE]

Still waiting for your Dear Leader to implement the congressional sanctions against Russia. Not holding my breath.

But Steele is holding his. Because he doesn’t want to be the next casualty of getting nerve-gassed on a park bench. Maybe that’s why he didn’t show up for a publicly scheduled court appearance.

By the way, the dossier... much has been corroborated, like Page’s meetings and the sale of 19% of Rosneft, and NOT A SINGLE THING OF SIGNIFICANCE has been disproven.

Trump Jr. secretly meeting Russian emissaries to get secret dirt to smear a political opponent, Kushner asking to use Russian embassy communication equipment to communicate with Moscow during the campaign, Russia engaging in covert ops to sow discord and disinformation in our democracy, and a cabinet secretary’s (and billionaire campaign supporter) brother arranging secret back-channel meeting with Russia in the Seychelles. NO COLLUSION!

History will write this as the greatest treachery and treason of our century. But, by all means, keep on MAGAing.

[QUOTE="Funny, Stee...'err Meyer, didn't mention this:

I think if you want ignorance or arrogance, look in the mirror

Still waiting for your Dear Leader to implement the congressional sanctions against Russia. Not holding my breath.

But Steele is holding his. Because he doesn’t want to be the next casualty of getting nerve-gassed on a park bench. Maybe that’s why he didn’t show up for a publicly scheduled court appearance.

By the way, the dossier... much has been corroborated, like Page’s meetings and the sale of 19% of Rosneft, and NOT A SINGLE THING OF SIGNIFICANCE has been disproven.

Trump Jr. secretly meeting Russian emissaries to get secret dirt to smear a political opponent, Kushner asking to use Russian embassy communication equipment to communicate with Moscow during the campaign, Russia engaging in covert ops to sow discord and disinformation in our democracy, and a cabinet secretary’s (and billionaire campaign supporter) brother arranging secret back-channel meeting with Russia in the Seychelles. NO COLLUSION!

History will write this as the greatest treachery and treason of our century. But, by all means, keep on MAGAing.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND WITH THAT SOURCE!?!?!??!??!?! Richtshow wont believe any source unless it comes straight from Aljazeera.

Advertisement
Back