Not going after sunshine cause of a Blitz stat

pacusmc

All American
When Jimmy V faced the phi slama Jama of Houston the whole week Jimmy v said they have to slow the them down and ckntrol tempo.

Now all week I’ve seen threads and tweets And YouTube videos about how Miami needs to sit back and not blitz sunshine cause he’s so awesome. I’ve seen multiple tweets about how he’s better with blitzed than just sitting in the pocket.

this is Jimmy v’a speech before the game.

“For two days now I’ve been telling everyone we’re going to hold the ball. I’ve been telling everybody we’re going to practice for two hours and not take a shot, that we’re going to get the opening tap on Monday and not shoot until Tuesday. I’ve been telling everybody that. Now I want to tell you guys something. I’ve waited all of my life to be in this position, to be playing on the last day, to be playing for the national championship. And I’m telling you something: We’re not holding that ball! Houston thinks we’re going to hold it. The whole country thinks we’re going to hold it. They’re all wrong. We’re going to go out there, and we’re going to shove it right down their throats!!”

Nonway we recruited and got the guys we did to just sit there and be scared and hold on for dear life fck that. It’s not why I became a fan of this team and it’s not why we’ve been loved for over 40 years and it’s not the reason we have multiple hall of gamers. It’s not in the dna of a Miami hurricane to play the number one team and just sit there like a bunch of puzzles and “hope” we can stop someone.
FTS!!!

Advertisement
When Jimmy V faced the phi slama Jama of Houston the whole week Jimmy v said they have to slow the them down and ckntrol tempo.

Now all week I’ve seen threads and tweets And YouTube videos about how Miami needs to sit back and not blitz sunshine cause he’s so awesome. I’ve seen multiple tweets about how he’s better with blitzed than just sitting in the pocket.

this is Jimmy v’a speech before the game.

“For two days now I’ve been telling everyone we’re going to hold the ball. I’ve been telling everybody we’re going to practice for two hours and not take a shot, that we’re going to get the opening tap on Monday and not shoot until Tuesday. I’ve been telling everybody that. Now I want to tell you guys something. I’ve waited all of my life to be in this position, to be playing on the last day, to be playing for the national championship. And I’m telling you something: We’re not holding that ball! Houston thinks we’re going to hold it. The whole country thinks we’re going to hold it. They’re all wrong. We’re going to go out there, and we’re going to shove it right down their throats!!”

Nonway we recruited and got the guys we did to just sit there and be scared and hold on for dear life fck that. It’s not why I became a fan of this team and it’s not why we’ve been loved for over 40 years and it’s not the reason we have multiple hall of gamers. It’s not in the dna of a Miami hurricane to play the number one team and just sit there like a bunch of puzzles and “hope” we can stop some

Diaz is not gonna sit back, he is gonna go after Lawrence. he is gonna tell them to hit him as many times as possible and see how many he can take. You don't go into a game as a underdog where everyone is saying you should be happy with staying in the game and go play passive. Everyone nationally is talking about 2017 and 2015. You go attack them. As far as im concerned this is a game between 2 even teams. I wont feel lucky and nice to lose by 3 or 7 or whatever moral victories. we have alot of upperclassmen redemption projects and just hungry players overall. Clemson is a new team with some of the same pieces, no different from us imo. We have beasts and they have beasts

Diaz is not gonna sit back, he is gonna go after Lawrence. he is gonna tell them to hit him as many times as possible and see how many he can take. You don't go into a game as a underdog where everyone is saying you should be happy with staying in the game and go play passive. Everyone nationally is talking about 2017 and 2015. You go attack them. As far as im concerned this is a game between 2 even teams. I wont feel lucky and nice to lose by 3 or 7 or whatever moral victories. we have alot of upperclassmen redemption projects and just hungry players overall. Clemson is a new team with some of the same pieces, no different from us imo. We have beasts and they have beasts

Rushing just the front 4 isn't passive, it's the correct call given the metrics (and Diaz is a sabermetrics guy). Sunshine feasts on blitzes. His numbers when blitzed are insanely good. Back in 2008 when the Giants beat the undefeated Pats with Brady, the same thing happened. The Giants did not get blitz happy and relied on the front 4 pass rush to get home. All those extra defenders in coverage forced Brady to go through his reads, which gave the front 4 more time to get to him. If Sunshine sees that you are blitzing, he will go to his hot route immediately and the ball will be out long before a defender hits him. It seems people think the option is either 1) blitz or 2) have every defender, including the DEs and DTs, drop into coverage. There are actually more options that that.

Advertisement
I dont understand; has Diaz/Baker been saying all week they aren't coming after Lawrence? And even if they were, would Clemson's gameplan affect how well their OL defends the blitz?

Rushing just the front 4 isn't passive, it's the correct call given the metrics (and Diaz is a sabermetrics guy). Sunshine feasts on blitzes. His numbers when blitzed are insanely good. Back in 2008 when the Giants beat the undefeated Pats with Brady, the same thing happened. The Giants did not get blitz happy and relied on the front 4 pass rush to get home. All those extra defenders in coverage forced Brady to go through his reads, which gave the front 4 more time to get to him. If Sunshine sees that you are blitzing, he will go to his hot route immediately and the ball will be out long before a defender hits him. It seems people think the option is either 1) blitz or 2) have every defender, including the DEs and DTs, drop into coverage. There are actually more options that that.
I understand what u mean but you have to mix it up. I seen UVA blitz Lawrence and he was getting hit, u know why? 4 new OL. People exaggerate that whole he loves blitz. Yeah that maybe true but that also ignores that the OL is the one that picks it up. UVA was getting through the A gap and hitting him. I dont think we have to get blitz happy but to act like u cant send blitzers at this dude is false. He also had big tall WRs who would simply come down with 50/50 that they turnt into 80/20. I dont see those pieces around him so i would like to see pressure on him, in multiple ways. If you simple rush 4, they will adjust to that as well

I dont understand; has Diaz/Baker been saying all week they aren't coming after Lawrence? And even if they were, would Clemson's gameplan affect how well their OL defends the blitz?
No. But There is a thread asking if we should go after him cause his completion percentage is so good with blitzes.
I’ve already seen several interviews where analysts are saying that Miami would be crazy to try and blitz and stating he would pick is apart.

No. But There is a thread asking if we should go after him cause his completion percentage is so good with blitzes.
I’ve already seen several interviews where analysts are saying that Miami would be crazy to try and blitz and stating he would pick is apart.
What I mean is I don't think the mis-direction with media game-planning works the same with football. I think in reality what will happen is what everyone thinks will happen - we will dip our toes with a few blitzes and go from there. We aren't going to catch Clemson by surprise either way.

Advertisement
What exactly does Jim Valvano have to do with what's Defensively advantageous vs Clemson?

I understand the sentiment that's trying to get conveyed in these types of threads, but ultimately there's not a whole lot of logic in doing something that will make it harder for you to win simply because it sounds good to go against the grain in a rah-rah speech that literally has nothing to do with the game at all.

The reason why Lawrence has such good numbers vs the Blitz is because when teams Blitz him he picks it up fast & makes really accurate throws, it's not a make believe or misleading stat, it's simple pure fact that he's most most accurate QB in the nation vs Blitz, therefore Blitzing him just isn't smart strategy if you can't guarantee that your rushers will get there in time.

Beating a team as good as Clemson has to be done with calculated well rehearsed game planning, you don't dumb luck your way into a victory vs a team that hasn't lost @ home in 4 years & a QB that's 32-1 as a starter. You have to be smart because they make you pay for being stupid.

Aimlessly Blitzing & expecting different results than other 20 some odd teams that have done it & failed is just not a good idea. That doesn't mean we shouldn't Blitz at all, but the frequency with which we normally Blitz would need to be cut down a bit if we have any hope of slowing them down, otherwise, we'll go down just like all the other dumb teams who did the same.

1602307589633.jpeg

Would love to see the Canes do a “Wolfpack” on Clemson.
That was an incredible game; one of the all time classics for sure.

Last edited:
Advertisement
All I hope is we don't do any lame *** delayed blitzes, and then Lawrence just passes to a wide open Etienne who then breaks a tackle. That would be infuriating.

If It were me I'd make sure there is always 1 guy hunting for Etienne all game and on his *** like ******* glue between McCloud/Frierson/Carter/Bolden.. Every ******* play he has to be accounted for, especially when we bring a blitz. They replaced 4 Olineman this year and haven't been great. Hopefully Our DLine can get heavy pressure without bringing additional guys, but that's not likely to happen all game. We just need to make sure when we do blitz they don't get a deep ball to Rodgers and Etienne isn't left open or forces a missed tackle and racks up a quick 20+. Plus they'll likely call a lot of screens. That's why we need someone like Frierson on Etienne whose entire job on plays is to get to Etienne as quickly as possible and don't let him breathe.

Pressure Lawrence. Cover Etienne and Rodgers. If Lawrence beats us by passing to anyone else I can live with that. Just keep the pressure on, and do our best to shut down Etienne and Rodgers. They're going to get their points. Force them to do it without their 2 best skill position players in the passing game.

What exactly does Jim Valvano have to do with what's Defensively advantageous vs Clemson?

I understand the sentiment that's trying to get conveyed in these types of threads, but ultimately there's not a whole lot of logic in doing something that will make it harder for you to win simply because it sounds good to go against the grain in a rah-rah speech that literally has nothing to do with the game at all.

The reason why Lawrence has such good numbers vs the Blitz is because when teams Blitz him he picks it up fast & makes really accurate throws, it's not a make believe or misleading stat, it's simple pure fact that he's most most accurate QB in the nation vs Blitz, therefore Blitzing him just isn't smart strategy if you can't guarantee that your rushers will get there in time.

Beating a team as good as Clemson has to be done with calculated well rehearsed game planning, you don't dumb luck your way into a victory vs a team that hasn't lost @ home in 4 years & a QB that's 32-1 as a starter. You have to be smart because they make you pay for being stupid.

Aimlessly Blitzing & expecting different results than other 20 some odd teams that have done it & failed is just not a good idea. That doesn't mean we shouldn't Blitz at all, but the frequency with which we normally Blitz would need to be cut down a bit if we have any hope of slowing them down, otherwise, we'll go down just like all the other dumb teams who did the same.
Preach brother, preach!!!!

Go Canes!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Blitze could be effective when done right
.Delayed starting 15 yards behind the line will not work against Lawrence. To me that is stupid against any qb

However we blitz them the most important thing is to stay disciplined in your gap. Do not freelance and give etienne a huge hole or cutback because of being undisciplined

We can't do the delayed safety blitzes, Lawrence will spot that coming and either throw into the opening or run away from it. We have to blitz effectively and keep him in the pocket. Miami doesn't have the best track record against mobile qb's.

I wouldn't be shocked too see Lawrence have more designed runs. Clemson usually saves hits on him for bigger games. Main thing is if he runs make him pay for it. I'd be fine with a late hit penalty if someone blows him up on the sideline and makes him think twice about running.

Advertisement
Back