Not breaking news, but…

Advertisement
I agree with you. I’m leaning towards Dawson is just an average OC rather than Mario is incredibly restrictive.

When watching the sidelines it doesn’t look like Dawson is getting Mario’s blessing. But what could be happening that we don’t see is Mario heavily dictating the game plan pregame and filtering what plays are on call sheet.

Either way I don’t care. In conference games we are only marginally better than 2022 Gattis, which never in a million years did I think was possible.
Here's a take from another site:

Dawson is having to run a power run game that he has never had to run before. He's not good at it; his run concepts stink because he never had to do that - he's generally relied on the passing game. He's admitted that his run game concepts was never his strength in the past.

He's having trouble working his spread concept passing game into the power run game he is asked to run.

Dawson hasn't been a good QB coach either. He hasn't been able to develop TVD, in fact, he's regressed. Seems to be some tension there right now.
-----------------------------------------

People on here have said Dawson may have compromised himself in order to get this job.
It sounds like whatever promises or assurances he gave Mario are coming back to bite him. Maybe all the theories that something changed during that "self scouting bye week" are in fact true. Those things combined with teams figuring out how to confuse TVD and Dawson's inability to coach him up on how to read those defenses and his inability to use some of the speed and talent on the team have put the offense in the quicksand it's in right now.

Dawson is having to run a power run game that he has never had to run before. He's not good at it; his run concepts stink because he never had to do that - he's generally relied on the passing game. He's admitted that his run game concepts was never his strength in the past.

He's having trouble working his spread concept passing game into the power run game he is asked to run.

Dawson hasn't been a good QB coach either. He hasn't been able to develop TVD, in fact, he's regressed. Seems to be some tension there right now.

People on here have said Dawson may have compromised himself in order to get this job.
It sounds like whatever promises or assurances he gave Mario are coming back to bite him. Maybe all the theories that something changed during that "self scouting bye week" are in fact true. Those things combined with teams figuring out how to confuse TVD and Dawson's inability to coach him up on how to read those defenses and his inability to use some of the speed and talent on the team have put the offense in the quicksand it's in right now.
Never understood the fkn idea of bringing in Dawson and try to add a running game to his offense. Those offenses rely on zone running, we saw it with Lashlee. And they used the run action to set up other plays that evolve into pass plays. Our run doesnt trigger anything else so the opps see run its run. Get a coach that run the $h!t u like and deal with the consequences.

That could very well be the case. At the end of the day, it’s another strike against Mario for either a bad hire or for not finding a way to marry the two philosophies

Mario’s handling of: offensive system ; OC ; QB while at Miami have been bad. With his reputation now solidified I don’t see how he magically fixes all 3 going into next year

Never understood the fkn idea of bringing in Dawson and try to add a running game to his offense. Those offenses rely on zone running, we saw it with Lashlee. And they used the run action to set up other plays that evolve into pass plays. Our run doesnt trigger anything else so the opps see run its run. Get a coach that run the $h!t u like and deal with the consequences.
Exactly. If Mario wants a run-heavy offense, then hire an OC who specializes in running the football. Hire someone from the Art Briles power spread tree, or hire someone who runs the wishbone for all I care. Don't hire an air raid guy and force him to incorporate a power running game. That's probably why we basically have one running play that we run over and over again.

Advertisement
That could very well be the case. At the end of the day, it’s another strike against Mario for either a bad hire or for not finding a way to marry the two philosophies

Mario’s handling of: offensive system ; OC ; QB while at Miami have been bad. With his reputation now solidified I don’t see how he magically fixes all 3 going into next year
One easy way, hire an OC and he will bring a QB with them.

Last edited:
Dawson leaving and subsequent new OC hire has to be done very quickly this time ( i.e. Mario can’t do his 3 month interview process) as:

1. Good portal qb will want to know who OC is beforecommitting
2. Wr talent ain’t coming here without knowing who qb will be

I have to believe Mario has to know now who he will be looking to ( don’t sleep on Petrino and Coley coming here).

Exactly. If Mario wants a run-heavy offense, then hire an OC who specializes in running the football. Hire someone from the Art Briles power spread tree, or hire someone who runs the wishbone for all I care. Don't hire an air raid guy and force him to incorporate a power running game. That's probably why we basically have one running play that we run over and over again.
Exactly why even though we are decent at running the ball we basically do nothing on play action. Just stupidity. Cristobal is grating on me right now. These long haas interview processes. Out thinking himself. Get a man who got a proven record and let him cook. Cant be that complicated.

Advertisement
Dawson leaving and subsequent new OC hire has to be done very quickly this time ( i.e. Mario can’t do his 3 month interview process) as:

1. Good portal qb will want to know who OC is beforecommitting
2. Wr talent ain’t coming here without knowing who qb will be

I have to believe Mario has to know now who he will be looking to ( don’t sleep on Petrino and Coley coming here).

I agree with you regarding the urgency and the impact it has on landing a good transfer QB

But Mario has proven he doesn’t care about tertiary consequences and takes his sweet time

I don’t have much faith

Exactly why even though we are decent at running the ball we basically do nothing on play action. Just stupidity. Cristobal is grating on me right now. These long haas interview processes. Out thinking himself. Get a man who got a proven record and let him cook. Cant be that complicated.

1000%

Andy Ludwig is the answer. I just don’t know if the money is in order because he has a much bigger than normal buyout for a coordinator

*If* Dawson does leave think about this; 3 OCs in 3 years for a coach that's already offensively challenged. How do you do that to your players? How do you even sell that to recruits?

Don't believe everything you read on these boards. It's not healthy. Lol

Advertisement
Hopefully TVD has made enough money for his gambling debts so he can go back to slinging that thing. [gigantic pause)
maybe tvd was in on the DOJ investigation of the other UM student accused of a multi million dollar fraud and is trying to recoup some money to pay the fines and avoid prison?

1000%

Andy Ludwig is the answer. I just don’t know if the money is in order because he has a much bigger than normal buyout for a coordinator
We need Shalala to come back to raise another billion dollars and only spend it on Mario's misfires.

Advertisement

My wild guess is that Dawson is not going anywhere and all of those takes will remain only mental gymnastic on message boards. Could be wrong though.

The biggest mistake Mario and Co. made is to put all the fiches in TVD's basket by not bringing another experienced QB via the portal, I bet it won't happen again.

What s

What site was this from?

Advertisement
Back