Not breaking news, but…

People who don’t know what they are watching (or aren’t even watching, it’s on in the background while you’re at a party) keep pointing to the GT game. GT came in like 110th in the country in rushing defense. They had been gutted on the ground all year. If Miami hadn’t come in with a run heavy approach, it’d have been malpractice. For whatever reason, they were half asleep that night and then TVD threw it to the other team 3 times, but we had 453 yards of offense. If running for 165 and throwing for 288 is “mariobro ball”, sign me up for that tomorrow afternoon.
I wasn't worried about the offense or even TVD until the Virginia game. Yes, the turnovers were ugly but I've known Tyler was a risk taker since he first started playing here and kind of accepted that those types of games would occasionally happen. Still they moved the ball really well and that usually translates to plenty of points. The UVA game was totally different. Everything looked forced, nothing was organic in the passing game and Tyler looked completely discombobulated. That's when I knew that he was mentally and likely, physically not right. They attempted to help with the gameplan for NC State and there were some calls and changes I really liked but I also think, condensing the offense and totally handcuffing the passing game is NOT the answer. If they no longer trust Tyler to do more than be a game manager who throws screen passes and makes deliberate, slow handoffs, then they shouldn't be playing him. Van Dyke has never been a perfect passer but there were things he did really well and totally neutering the scheme out of fear of turnovers pretty much nullifies everything he does well. There's no reason to play him if you're scared of him.

Advertisement
I'm not a Mario defender, but even now, I'd still choose Mario over Lane. Lane is a better coach, particularly on the offensive side. I don't think many can dispute that. However, he's a temporary fix. A mercenary. Or, as I've termed him, a hot girlfriend that dumps you once the fun is over for someone else. This program didn't have the foundation to build or sustain success. Lane would not have cared one iota about this place's infrastructure. Mario is at least going to build the infrastructure and garner the financial support to put us in a position to win. Now, can he? Lord, I hope so.

We have a meddling corch who just couldn't handle scoring upwards of 38 points a game and looking competent. He just couldn't win if it wasn't his way. This is who he is, this is who he has always been, and this is what every mario detractor on this board was afraid of.

There is no way we can look the way we did going into the by week and then look the way we have the last 4-5 weeks without the head man putting his input and demands on people.
That’s looking at the entire situation in a bubble. No one knows with absolute certainty that Mario meddled with the offense. NO ONE! I’m not absolving Mario in any way but to ASSUME he meddled is disingenuous.

Advertisement
Why is "20 or more yard pass attempts" the most important stat?
Because to hear most of our fan base tell it we were throwing downfield the first 4 games and then all of sudden Mario got jealous in the bye week, started meddling and put the handcuffs on Dawson and told him not to throw downfield anymore. Ha

How do you know Louisville isn't? They have played the easiest schedule in the ACC.

Why are you in a rush to crucify Mario in year 2?

If what Mario did at FIU and Oregon doesn't matter, why should we care about the success Lane, or any other coach, had in their career? That's some of the worse logic I have seen.

Sure sounds like you want to ignore facts that are inconvenient to your argument.

Sure sounds like you will be rooting for FSU tomorrow - rather see Mario fail than your team succeed? Two can play board psychiatrist but I will jump as high or low as I please thank you.
he went 5-7 (our worse record since randy year 1) in year 1 and hes been downright mediocre at best in year 2.

lol if i wanted to see mario fail, i wouldnt continue donating to the program. i dont give a flying **** about mario, his family, his thoughts. i just care about the wins or losses. you assumed Lville is a one hit wonder in year 1, i was providing the counter. in year 1, mario showed to be the worst HC weve had since randy shannon. in 1.5 years, hes worse than manny diaz as a miami hc. thats all that matters.

RIGHT NOW, mario is a failure at MIAMI.

how long do i need to wait to criticize him? you guys didnt wait to criticize manny diaz in his first year or al golden in his first year or randy shannon. why is mario the exception?

**** out of here bout fan ship bs. i put my money where my mouth is - i give back to the program yearly no matter the results.

anyawys, no one is gonna win here. you have a love affair for the columbus grad based on your avatar. we all have our biases as was pointed out and youre a mario guy. you will not criticize until its year 10.

I wasn't worried about the offense or even TVD until the Virginia game. Yes, the turnovers were ugly but I've known Tyler was a risk taker since he first started playing here and kind of accepted that those types of games would occasionally happen. Still they moved the ball really well and that usually translates to plenty of points. The UVA game was totally different. Everything looked forced, nothing was organic in the passing game and Tyler looked completely discombobulated. That's when I knew that he was mentally and likely, physically not right. They attempted to help with the gameplan for NC State and there were some calls and changes I really liked but I also think, condensing the offense and totally handcuffing the passing game is NOT the answer. If they no longer trust Tyler to do more than be a game manager who throws screen passes and makes deliberate, slow handoffs, then they shouldn't be playing him. Van Dyke has never been a perfect passer but there were things he did really well and totally neutering the scheme out of fear of turnovers pretty much nullifies everything he does well. There's no reason to play him if you're scared of him.

Great post and agree completely. The UVA game was the one that really opened my eyes as well to this kid being completely cooked. Not only did he make some inexcusable decisions with the ball, but the entire offense looked stuck in the mud.

I agree with you completely though, and it’s the reason I have finally come around and said you simply can’t play TVD at the rate he’s turning the ball over. Because I can live with the bad if there’s some good. I can’t live with Tyler’s level of bad, but some bad is absorbable if the kid is playing lights out otherwise. But he’s absolutely pitiful overall, PLUS he’s just firing the ball into coverage. At this point you have to protect your team. You’re not going to play a wide open passing offense anyway with this kid’s inability to protect the football. So tailor everything back and let Emory play and hope his conservative nature just by the fact he knows he’s in there to manage the game leads to protecting the ball.

If we have 0 turnovers tomorrow, it’s going to be a close game in the 2nd half. IMO the only way FSU runs away with the game is if we turn the ball over and/or the offense is so inept it’s just three and outs over and over and the defensive depth is exposed.

I think Emory might help with both. Don’t turn it over and run the ball, play conservatively in the passing game and let Jacurri come in to keep the chains moving at key points. It’s not the most exciting way to play but we’ve all seen who #9 is at this point when we try to throw the ball down the field. Whether it’s mental, physical, or likely both, you can’t win with him right now because he can’t protect the ball.

Advertisement
I have zero excitement. just get the game over w so we can move on with our lives. this team sucks.
What’s mind boggling is that this team shouldn’t be this bad. If someone told me the OL was this good and the defense was playing as good as they’ve played in moments, I’d believe the record would be 8-1. Not some fake 6-3 record.

So you are going to pretend Lane never coached at USC or Tennessee?

Reality is Lane has not proven that he is a better HC than Mario to date. Quite the opposite based on the facts but go on.

Will you defend Lane for his time at Tennessee and USC and simultaneously refuse to acknowledge that Mario walked into a **** storm culturally and talent wise?

Nowhere in my post did I say Riley hasn't proven more than Mario. He absolutely has.

My point is that Mario gets bashed for "limiting" or "holding back" Herbert. Just pointing out that Riley is likely going 8-4 at best with an actual heisman winner and likely #1 overall player.

But go on and keep bashing the HC that is actually proven he can win against quality opponents.
Mario is that you! Mario you are the worse time management coach in college football, and yes please let's not forget about take a knee blunder. Sir you are the worse coach we ever hired.

What’s mind boggling is that this team shouldn’t be this bad. If someone told me the OL was this good and the defense was playing as good as they’ve played in moments, I’d believe the record would be 8-1. Not some fake 6-3 record.
OL is great. kudos to mario on that front. that was always one area i knew wed be solid to elite in no matter what. hes great on the OL.

guidry has been a success as a DC here so far. i think **** likely take an SEC Job after this year or next year at best if it continues though.

overall, we are what we are. we could easily be 8-1 or we could easily be 4-5 (two OT wins when youre down double digits in both and luckily happened to be at home where it doesnt snowball out of control). it evens out. we had a soft schedule to start the year and got exposed in conference play. we likely finish 6-6 or 7-5 to end th eyear.

he went 5-7 (our worse record since randy year 1) in year 1 and hes been downright mediocre at best in year 2.

lol if i wanted to see mario fail, i wouldnt continue donating to the program. i dont give a flying **** about mario, his family, his thoughts. i just care about the wins or losses. you assumed Lville is a one hit wonder in year 1, i was providing the counter. in year 1, mario showed to be the worst HC weve had since randy shannon. in 1.5 years, hes worse than manny diaz as a miami hc. thats all that matters.

how long do i need to wait to criticize him? you guys didnt wait to criticize manny diaz in his first year or al golden in his first year or randy shannon. why is mario the exception?

**** out of here bout fan ship bs. i put my money where my mouth is - i give back to the program yearly no matter the results.

anyawys, no one is gonna win here. you have a love affair for the columbus grad based on your avatar. we all have our biases as was pointed out and youre a mario guy. you will not criticize until its year 10.
Interesting - you make a ****head comment about my avatar being Mario, then get triggered when I counter with an equally ****head comment about your fanhood. Classic can dish it but can't take it.

Have always said any HC needs at least 3 years before you can start to fairly judge. Even with Manny who I did not like the hire based on how quickly it was done alone.

Miami's success is important, not the particular coach. Calling a coach a failure before year 3 - any coach - is asinine.

But yeah go ahead with another ****head comment to close your argument. Can't debate without making it personal.

Par for CIS.

Advertisement
LOL. I believe our insiders confirmed it. Let me guess you just throw all the blame on the players right?
Nope. There’s plenty of blame to throw around especially at the coaches. As I’ve mentioned many times, no one, including the so called “insiders” has a clue what goes on behind the closed doors behind Hecht except those that enter and exit those doors on a minute by minute basis. Any info the “insiders” provide is 2nd hand at best.

Comparing one situation to another is comparing apples and oranges as each situation has a multitude of variables that make each situation unique.

I'm not a Mario defender, but even now, I'd still choose Mario over Lane. Lane is a better coach, particularly on the offensive side. I don't think many can dispute that. However, he's a temporary fix. A mercenary. Or, as I've termed him, a hot girlfriend that dumps you once the fun is over for someone else. This program didn't have the foundation to build or sustain success. Lane would not have cared one iota about this place's infrastructure. Mario is at least going to build the infrastructure and garner the financial support to put us in a position to win. Now, can he? Lord, I hope so.

This FSU game and the rest of the season will go a long way in my evaluation of Mario

As of today, I’m inclined to think we are fuqed long term with Mario due to how he approaches offense and his OC’s

He’s a clown to think his bro style of offense will attract any elite talent outside of OL and maybe some RBs

Sometimes we have to deal with all these Mario Slurpers, everyone forgets he got Fired at FIU. Worse game time and clock managment coach we ever had.

Advertisement
We would be better off with Lane and would be better off long term if the Columbus cabal are reduce just supporting financially with little football involvement

This FSU game and the rest of the season will go a long way in my evaluation of Mario

As of today, I’m inclined to think we are fuqed long term with Mario due to how he approaches offense and his OC’s

He’s a clown to think his bro style of offense will attract any elite talent outside of OL and maybe some RBs
There are definitely some alarming signs but it may be a bit premature to throw in the towel. These last 3 games could very well be an indicator of things to come.

Advertisement
Back