Not breaking news, but…

Advertisement
I'm not a Mario defender, but even now, I'd still choose Mario over Lane. Lane is a better coach, particularly on the offensive side. I don't think many can dispute that. However, he's a temporary fix. A mercenary. Or, as I've termed him, a hot girlfriend that dumps you once the fun is over for someone else. This program didn't have the foundation to build or sustain success. Lane would not have cared one iota about this place's infrastructure. Mario is at least going to build the infrastructure and garner the financial support to put us in a position to win. Now, can he? Lord, I hope so.
Lane is as much as a mercenary and not sustainable just as much as Norvell is a fraud and using the transfer portal to get wins and not being sustainable at FSU.

You guys are just beautiful!!

Jimmy Fallon Laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Maybe, who knows, neither have won anything.

Just laughable that Lane does “more with less”. It’s like they are autocorrecting Leach with Kiffin now but forgetting Lane’s had more opportunities than a rich white kid.
What does opportunities have anything to do with doing more with less. Those are 2 different things. The opportunities: Tenn coming off a 5-7 season, USC (crippling sanctions), Ole Miss (coming off Freeze sanctions and its Ole Miss). Not like the guy takes over decent teams.

Advertisement
Lane is as much as a mercenary and not sustainable just as much as Norvell is a fraud and using the transfer portal to get wins and not being sustainable at FSU.

Like being a mercenary is a bad thing. Why knock a guy for going to better opportunities. I guess Schnelly, JJ, DE, Butch were all mercenaries too

Edit: I guess Mario is a mercenary too since he left Oregon for Miami

Advertisement
Auburn fans/booster are a peculiar bunch. I “live” in bama and know former players and boosters. Some of the reasons they wanted him over Freeze (not in any particular order).

1. He’s a good a coach and has a higher winning % at Ole Miss than Freeze did and did it without getting them into trouble like Freeze.

2. They wanted the buzz and offensive mind. Have had success in recent past going that route (according to some). Think Malzahn with Cam Newton. Did not want a defensive minded coach.

3. Coached under Saban (biggest rival) and knows where the bodies are buried and his methods.

4. To needle bama.

From a guy who had 2 brothers that played for Auburn: “They got second best available. Less BUZZ and more baggage. That’s why Lane was one. But Lane thinks he is getting bama.”

Some say one of the reasons he didnt take the Auburn job is that he knew the door would be closed on the bama job if he took the Auburn job. Also, if you go 10-3 at Ole Miss with losing to bama a couple of times you are a king. If you go 10-3 at Auburn and lose to bama couple of times you better have the moving trucks ready.

TrumpyCane wants to know since when is Hugh Freeze known as a defensive coach?

Coaches under Saban means nothing, majority of his assistants have sucked

Needle Bama? How about a guy who’s actually beaten Bama unlike Lane

TrumpyCane has a Auburn booster friend who did in fact say they were interested in Lane until Hugh showed interest, battle of the sauces TrumpyCane supposes

TrumpyCane has a Auburn booster friend who did in fact say they were interested in Lane until Hugh showed interest, battle of the sauces TrumpyCane supposes
I'm just telling you what the Auburn fans/boosters had in mind. Take it up with them not me. The defensive coach comment was not specific for Freeze. It was in general what they did not want. Also, I have more than one source and actually live in Bama. Sooo....

Yep Freeze beat Bama and got Ole Miss sanctions while doing it

Last edited:

Also can we stop with the Freeze vs Kiffin. This one is easy since they coached at the same school (apples to apples).

Freeze at Ole Miss: 7-6, 8-5, 9-4 10-3, 5-7. Winning % 60.9%. Fifth all time based on winning %. Sanctions

Kiffin: 5-5 (Covid), 10-3, 8-5, 8-1 (currently). Winning % 68.9%. Third all time based on winning % Had to clean up the mess Freeze left and tail end of sanctions.

Why would Auburn choose 5th place who ended up getting ole miss in trouble and sanctions when they could try to get the guy with a higher winning % that had to deal with the aftermath of this sanctions?

What does opportunities have anything to do with doing more with less. Those are 2 different things. The opportunities: Tenn coming off a 5-7 season, USC (crippling sanctions), Ole Miss (coming off Freeze sanctions and its Ole Miss). Not like the guy takes over decent teams.
Crippling sanctions? They were preseason #1 and he went 7-6. He doesn’t take over decent teams? You guys are absolutely delusional. He was fired at LAX for a reason.

Advertisement
Auburn fans/booster are a peculiar bunch. I “live” in bama and know former players and boosters. Some of the reasons they wanted him over Freeze (not in any particular order).

1. He’s a good a coach and has a higher winning % at Ole Miss than Freeze did and did it without getting them into trouble like Freeze.

2. They wanted the buzz and offensive mind. Have had success in recent past going that route (according to some). Think Malzahn with Cam Newton. Did not want a defensive minded coach.

3. Coached under Saban (biggest rival) and knows where the bodies are buried and his methods.

4. To needle bama.

From a guy who had 2 brothers that played for Auburn: “They got second best available. Less BUZZ and more baggage. That’s why Lane was one. But Lane thinks he is getting bama.”

Some say one of the reasons he didnt take the Auburn job is that he knew the door would be closed on the bama job if he took the Auburn job. Also, if you go 10-3 at Ole Miss with losing to bama a couple of times you are a king. If you go 10-3 at Auburn and lose to bama couple of times you better have the moving trucks ready.

You have responded respectfully, and I want to give you the same respect.

Let's forget about his record Vs. top 25 opponents and bowl record for a second.

If this man's goal is to go to Bama, and I am sure it is because he constantly roots against Saban openly, why are we talking about him here? He intends to go to Bama after all, no?

The man isn't coming here, and we are talking about him a day before FSU.

Crippling sanctions? They were preseason #1 and he went 7-6. He doesn’t take over decent teams? You guys are absolutely delusional. He was fired at LAX for a reason.

USC tied for second with most NFL draft picks in 2010 and fifth in 2011. He had talent at USC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
USC tied for second with most NFL draft picks in 2010 and would have been tied for fifth in 2011. He had talent at USC.
Loads of it. I would think Kiffin worshippers would at least admit it, instead of treating him like the media treated Al Golden

Norvell's luck will run out. He can't develop recruits, and even players who come in through the transfer portal will regress if they stay long enough. Jared Verse F'd around and opted to stay. He might not even be a first-rounder after he was projected in the top 10. He does have Jordan Travis, whom he can say he developed.

He’s on pace to win 10 games at Ole Miss for the second time in 3 years after taking over an Ole Miss program worse off than Miami was when Mario got here…
People on this board want to act so obtuse as if Ole Miss isn't a 2nd/3rd tier SEC program. They argue as if Ole Miss is on a UGA, Bama, LSU level, when historically they are in the same boat as Arkansas, UK, SCarolina. Last NC they won was in 1964, before the SEC was really integrated. It's not like they're this powerhouse recruiting school either. So yes, he's done more with less.

Perhaps the best part of this non-story is that now we know that Dawson is auditioning for other jobs now, so maybe he'll be more creative in putting his game plan together.

Advertisement
Back