Northwestern/Columbus thoughts

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
When Mark Richt and Manny Diaz are in attendance for a high school game for more than a half of play, you know it is an important matchup on the field. -- and this game lived up to its billing.

The Miami Northwestern Bulls are BACK and last night was their statement victory. Their 19-14 was impressive on the stage with an 8A powerhouse in Columbus. Before I dive into specifics, it's important to note just how fast this Northwestern defense is -- something that you can really appreciate by watching the Bulls play live.

MNW's pass rush gave the Explorers problems all night, especially when the Bulls pinned their ears back and lined up with five down linemen on 2nd and 3rd-and-long situations. Now to some prospects and other trends that caught my eye...

1) The Columbus trio of Miami Hurricanes commits at defensive back all flashed different parts of their game on Thursday night.

Trajan Bandy: The future nickel corner at Miami played on the boundary for the Explorers as he normally does. Early in the third quarter, he made a nice read on a WR screen and lowered his shoulder for a nice hit and jarred the ball loose. Columbus recovered. That was a perfect example of the types of momentum-swinging plays that Bandy will bring with him to Coral Gables.

C.J. Henderson: Henderson has been dealing with an ankle issue dating back to The Opening in July. He tweaked the injury in the preseason classic game against Boyd Anderson and sat out the remainder of that game, as well as last week's matchup with Jackson. Prior to this season, the Canes cornerback commitment had only played five snaps at defensive back at the varsity level -- having played primarily running back on offense. The plan for the Explorers coming into this season was to use Henderson both ways, and as a receiver offensively as well. Henderson did not get any reps all week in practice, but tested it out on Thursday night and the coaches decided to let him give it a go. That decision paid off, as C.J. recorded his first career interception at the varsity level.

Josh Jobe: What a freak athlete Jobe is. To me, his is a 5-star athlete physically and he plays with the type of speed and physicality that you'd expect a player of his magnitude to attack with. Jobe enjoys hitting and he made a few exceptional open-field tackles last night. One play in particular that stood out was on Northwestern's attempted fake field goal late in the game, when Jobe came flying out of nowhere to completely erase the ball carrier's apparent open running lane. He made the tackle and Columbus got the ball back with a chance to drive down field.

2) Northwestern QB Tutu Atwell is a terror for defensive coaches to plan for. He is such a quick thinker and decision-maker with the football in his hands and that is what makes Tutu so special. Atwell makes some nice timing throws and can get out of the pocket to extend plays with his feet. The Bulls are in great shape for the next two seasons with the dynamic leadership of Tutu Atwell.

3) 2019 MNW DE Samuel Brooks is a big, fast, and strong looking prospect off the edge. His fumble return touchdown of about 50-yards put the Bulls on top for good late in the 4th quarter. He was MOVING on the return.

4) 2018 CB commit Thomas Burns is fast. He's not as lanky or tall as his brother Artie, but it might not be fair to compare him to a recent first-round draft pick (even if it his his blood). I have heard that he's coming to Miami on a track scholarship.

5) Columbus is 1-1 now with a mega battle with Southridge coming next week. That is one of the most highly-anticipated games in Dade county this season, especially down south.

Northwestern is 2-0 with another massive opportunity next week traveling up to Plantation to face American Heritage. The Bulls have positioned themselves as an early favorite to make the playoffs in their district along with Central.

Advertisement
When Mark Richt and Manny Diaz are in attendance for a high school game for more than a half of play, you know it is an important matchup on the field. -- and this game lived up to its billing.

The Miami Northwestern Bulls are BACK and last night was their statement victory. Their 19-14 was impressive on the stage with an 8A powerhouse in Columbus. Before I dive into specifics, it's important to note just how fast this Northwestern defense is -- something that you can really appreciate by watching the Bulls play live.

MNW's pass rush gave the Explorers problems all night, especially when the Bulls pinned their ears back and lined up with five down linemen on 2nd and 3rd-and-long situations. Now to some prospects and other trends that caught my eye...

1) The Columbus trio of Miami Hurricanes commits at defensive back all flashed different parts of their game on Thursday night.

Trajan Bandy: The future nickel corner at Miami played on the boundary for the Explorers as he normally does. Early in the third quarter, he made a nice read on a WR screen and lowered his shoulder for a nice hit and jarred the ball loose. Columbus recovered. That was a perfect example of the types of momentum-swinging plays that Bandy will bring with him to Coral Gables.

C.J. Henderson: Henderson has been dealing with an ankle issue dating back to The Opening in July. He tweaked the injury in the preseason classic game against Boyd Anderson and sat out the remainder of that game, as well as last week's matchup with Jackson. Prior to this season, the Canes cornerback commitment had only played five snaps at defensive back at the varsity level -- having played primarily running back on offense. The plan for the Explorers coming into this season was to use Henderson both ways, and as a receiver offensively as well. Henderson did not get any reps all week in practice, but tested it out on Thursday night and the coaches decided to let him give it a go. That decision paid off, as C.J. recorded his first career interception at the varsity level.

Josh Jobe: What a freak athlete Jobe is. To me, his is a 5-star athlete physically and he plays with the type of speed and physicality that you'd expect a player of his magnitude to attack with. Jobe enjoys hitting and he made a few exceptional open-field tackles last night. One play in particular that stood out was on Northwestern's attempted fake field goal late in the game, when Jobe came flying out of nowhere to completely erase the ball carrier's apparent open running lane. He made the tackle and Columbus got the ball back with a chance to drive down field.

2) Northwestern QB Tutu Atwell is a terror for defensive coaches to plan for. He is such a quick thinker and decision-maker with the football in his hands and that is what makes Tutu so special. Atwell makes some nice timing throws and can get out of the pocket to extend plays with his feet. The Bulls are in great shape for the next two seasons with the dynamic leadership of Tutu Atwell.

3) 2019 MNW DE Samuel Brooks is a big, fast, and strong looking prospect off the edge. His fumble return touchdown of about 50-yards put the Bulls on top for good late in the 4th quarter. He was MOVING on the return.

4) 2018 CB commit Thomas Burns is fast. He's not as lanky or tall as his brother Artie, but it might not be fair to compare him to a recent first-round draft pick (even if it his his blood). I have heard that he's coming to Miami on a track scholarship.

5) Columbus is 1-1 now with a mega battle with Southridge coming next week. That is one of the most highly-anticipated games in Dade county this season, especially down south.

Northwestern is 2-0 with another massive opportunity next week traveling up to Plantation to face American Heritage. The Bulls have positioned themselves as an early favorite to make the playoffs in their district along with Central.

Is burns staying at northwestern I thought he would move to pitt

MNW is going to crush overrated *** AH, Tutu, Kai, Roy & Malik are going to embarrass Marco Wilson & Pat Jr.

On Defense, Taurus, D Taylor & Billy will shut AH's offense down, we just need Brooks to be healthy for next week.

The West is out for revenge this season, first Dwyer, then Columbus & next is AH... The games against CC, Central & BTW will be the best in the state this year.

Advertisement
Is Jobe playing corner for Columbus? And is that his long term position?

Yep.... he will stay at corner.... Jobe, Ivey, and Blades should be our 2017 CBs.... and Frierson and Tyson Campbell at S... with maybe one more, Gurvan Hall

Advertisement
Advertisement
Is burns staying at northwestern I thought he would move to pitt
Thanks for re-posting Pete's article in its entirety before you asked about whether Burns is moving to Pittsburgh. I thoroughly enjoyed scrolling through it again.

Advertisement
Who's recruiting Atwell?

Nobody yet...he is only 5'9-5'10....has room to grow if he gets 6'0-6'2... will be recruited more like an ATH than QB...

Is atwell athletic enough to be a DB or WR at the next level? I love qb playmakers who are great athletes. Usually love them at WR but if they're good enough in general, they are a take imo

Is Jobe playing corner for Columbus? And is that his long term position?

Yep.... he will stay at corner.... Jobe, Ivey, and Blades should be our 2017 CBs.... and Frierson and Tyson Campbell at S... with maybe one more, Gurvan Hall

Jobe was at safety

Because he's better there or because they already have Bandy and CJ to play corner?

I went to the BA game, where CJ had a few reps at RB, but left the game with an ankle injury. He didn't start or play at corner during that game, but his HC has said the he will be playing both offense and defense.

I've seen Jobe play both safety and corner. He can play both, but he's better (as of right now) as a safety. Very physical. We expected a violent safety with range when we recruited Jamal Carter. Jobe is that player. He stones people at the POA, and has deep speed/range. He ran the ran the 100m in the high 10s as a junior. Carter was and is nowhere near as fast as Jobe. I think Jobe can excel at corner within certain schemes, but when you compare him to a kid like Bandy, you immediately notice a drop off in Jobe's agility and change of direction (both as DBs and KR/PR's). IMO, he's more of a complete player as a safety.

I'd like both him and Frierson at safety. I want big violent kids with 4.4 speed filling the alleys.

Advertisement
Back