Northwestern-Central Thoughts

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
The Rockets defeated the Bulls 35-17 after Northwestern jumped out to an early 11-0 lead. Here are some of my observations from the game:

-I had previously thought that Artie Burns would be better off at CB in the future, but after seeing him live 3 times this season, I think he could be a special safety and have a first-year impact similar to what we are seeing from Deon Bush. Burns' athleticism jumps off at you every time you watch him. The reason I think he would make a great safety is because he has a very good nose for the ball and is not afraid to lay the wood. He could no doubt be a special corner, but with Miami's need at safety he would thrive if used in the way Bush is this season. His versatility is very reminiscent of Bush's at the high school level as well, except he has better hands. We will see if he can make that same transition as easily as Deon has. As DMoney has mentioned multiple times, Burns will be a special teams nightmare from Day 1. I've seen him block a kick and a punt this year and he almost blocked another punt today as well. He is extremely valuable in the return game as well because of his straight-line speed and his ability to not dance around and hit the open lane.

-Neither Dalvin Cook nor Joseph Yearby could really get anything going on the ground today, but something I found interesting was the use of Cook on the defensive side of the ball. Cook was being used to cover 2014 WR JoJo Robinson (FSU commit), which just shows you the type of athletic and football ability he has. Cook picked up a fumble as MNW was about to score again and make it 18-0, but his return of about 80 yards and the score really turned things around. Cook is just on another level than Yearby athletically, and that showed today when Yearby couldn't dance his away around a very athletic and stingy Northwestern defense.

-There has recently been some talk about the play of MNW RB Darius Tice, who had another good game tonight. Some people have asked me what I think about him and this is what I'll say: He is a very solid and productive runner at the high school level, and could be in college as well, but I do not see him as Miami-caliber. He runs way too high.

-A player that has caught my attention is 2015 WR DaVante Phillips (Tito Benach recently did a story with him). Phillips had one TD tonight, and another 40-yard TD was called back on a holding penalty committed by 2014 Miami commit Trevor Darling. Phillips is about 6'2 with really long arms and great speed. Both touchdown catches were over multiple defenders and he had to go up and make an acrobatic play to come down with it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In the thread about yearby or Cook, I have said I would take cook regardless but if I am a team like Miami that has lets say Duke and collins on the roster I take Cook because he makes the most of his limited carries, and he is very versatile and can help you on defense and special teams, not many running backs can play both sides of the ball. And he doesnt just play but he makes big plays on offense, defense and special teams. Definitely a talent.

Phillips a beast. Did you see any canes coaches there? We better have had a ton of the staff out there.

In the thread about yearby or Cook, I have said I would take cook regardless but if I am a team like Miami that has lets say Duke and collins on the roster I take Cook because he makes the most of his limited carries, and he is very versatile and can help you on defense and special teams, not many running backs can play both sides of the ball. And he doesnt just play but he makes big plays on offense, defense and special teams. Definitely a talent.

Phillips a beast. Did you see any canes coaches there? We better have had a ton of the staff out there.

Did not see any Miami coaches. Saw a Clemson coach

Advertisement
Advertisement
I saw coach barrow at the game. Also, Cook is better than Yearby this year. Last year it was Yearby that was putting up better numbers but Cook obviously is a play maker this year. I really hope we can flip him. Trevor Darling struggled last night but I think the coaching staff at Central does not develop players so with proper coaching when he arrives to The U he will develop into a good talent.

Advertisement
Back