Norchad Omier initiating offense

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Something that has been a wrinkle in the offense this year has been how much Jim Larranaga is trusting Norchad Omier to initiate offense from the perimeter. As opposed to Omier working primarily from the high/low post, this is opening up direct driving lanes for him, as well as spacing the floor for the shooters and cutters.

Advertisement
@TheOriginalCane I saw your post in the other thread about not wanting Omier handling the ball as much as he is. Although I agree he is not going to look like the most fluid ball-handler, I believe using him this way opens up the offense tremendously. He can still get his buckets at the hoop, but using him in this role puts way more pressure on the defense in my opinion.

@TheOriginalCane I saw your post in the other thread about not wanting Omier handling the ball as much as he is. Although I agree he is not going to look like the most fluid ball-handler, I believe using him this way opens up the offense tremendously. He can still get his buckets at the hoop, but using him in this role puts way more pressure on the defense in my opinion.

Let me see if I can be more precise. I don't mind "initiate", as in serving as a point to start passes or pivot passes through Norchad. And to be honest, he has been great on inbounds passes when multiple guys handle the ball.

But I'm not sure that the dribbling is where he is at his best. Maybe with some more practice. But when he tried to bring the ball down for most of the length of the court, and then bumbled and fumbled his way through the dribbling...I don't know, maybe that was just his worst sequence, I just think that Norchad can help us beat the press more with his PASSING than his dribbling. Just my observation, and I absolutely love the kid. I told my brother that Norchad was going to be great at the UCF game. Last year. Around Thanksgiving.

Love this team, and Norchad's size/strength can be an asset in the ways we have described. He absolutely destroyed the K-State point guard on that one pick, it was a sight to behold. I'd just like to see other guys dribble the length of the court before Norchad.

Does he have the best handle on team (starters) besides benz? We need a guy who can go one on one and make smart decisions, I mentioned this is game 1 game thread and got push back, I think after a few more games more people saw how Woog and Pack are not those guys.. Cleveland seems to be able to do some work around the free throw line but I dont see him taking it from top of key much.. Would be something if Omier was able to fill that roll, I would need to see his decision making/playmaking as most times he is just going to get his..

From what I see just treat Wooga and pack like a college version of splash bros with pack having way less handle than Curry.. Run whatever they did in their ealry run.. Wooga is more spot up and midgame like Klay, he not really good goin one on one, gets alot of turnovers like that and falling on floor..

Something that has been a wrinkle in the offense this year has been how much Jim Larranaga is trusting Norchad Omier to initiate offense from the perimeter. As opposed to Omier working primarily from the high/low post, this is opening up direct driving lanes for him, as well as spacing the floor for the shooters and cutters.

It’s almost like we’ve added another player…

Advertisement
It’s a really interesting wrinkle because it takes the other team’s big guy away from the basket and allows Omier to use his ball handling and movement to beat guys instead of just his strength. And if a team switches a smaller player to guard Omier, I am confident we will immediately send Omier to the post.

Coach L will always structure our offense to take advantage of our player’s abilities and to create mismatches. Coaching at the highest level.

Advertisement
Back