Non-Conference Schedule is set

Advertisement
I completely agree, tougher than last season but last season was full of teams that were not close to making any post-season tournament. Quinnipac, Alabama A&M and Coppin State should not be on the schedule.

Anytime you have an opponent on your schedule and the fans first reaction is "who?" when they hear the name is not good.

If I am not mistaken, when teams like Miami don't play a home and home series, don't they have to pay those teams to come and play one game. Am I wrong and does that only happen in football.

Last edited:

A to the sports marketing department. How did Willie make the video over Isaiah Wong? That's just wrong.

I completely agree, tougher than last season but last season was full of teams that were not close to making any post-season tournament. Quinnipac, Alabama A&M and Coppin State should not be on the schedule.

Anytime you have an opponent on your schedule and the fans first reaction is "who?" when they hear the name is not good.

If I am not mistaken, when teams like Miami don't play a home and home series, don't they have to pay those teams to come and play one game. Am I wrong and does that only happen in football.

Not every game can be a marquee opponent. That being said, Alabama A&m (344) and Coppin State (342) are 2 of the worst teams in D1 basketball. Quinnipiac is at least a halfway respectable team from a mid major conference.

Not every game can be a marquee opponent. That being said, Alabama A&m (344) and Coppin State (342) are 2 of the worst teams in D1 basketball. Quinnipiac is at least a halfway respectable team from a mid major conference.

Just wondering, where does USF, FIU and FGCU rank in those polls. I agree, they are not "marquee opponents" to most fans but most people in the state of Florida are familiar with those names or schools?

Also, when you read Quinnipac, Alabama A&M and Coppin State, did you say Who?

Advertisement
Just wondering, where does USF, FIU and FGCU rank in those polls. I agree, they are not "marquee opponents" to most fans but most people in the state of Florida are familiar with those names or schools?

Also, when you read Quinnipac, Alabama A&M and Coppin State, did you say Who?
USF is 99, FIU is 204, and FGCU is 213 (this all based on 2019's Kenpom results). Not exactly a who's who, but 2 of those 3 would've been better than Alabama A&M and Coppin State.

I've actually heard of all 3 schools but only because I'm a complete nerd. 99% of fans have not.

All of that aside, a schedule of at UCF, at Illinois, potentially Florida and Uconn/Xavier, and neutral site vs. Temple is a very respectable slate.

I just wish there was one good OoC game at the Watsco. All of those are neutral or on the road. At least we get Louisville at home to start the season.

USF is 99, FIU is 204, and FGCU is 213 (this all based on 2019's Kenpom results). Not exactly a who's who, but 2 of those 3 would've been better than Alabama A&M and Coppin State.

I've actually heard of all 3 schools but only because I'm a complete nerd. 99% of fans have not.

Given the new NET rating system, I would think schools would try to schedule more games against Quad 1 or Quad 2 opponents for strength of schedule purposes. A good loss is better than a bad win according to the NET rating system.

I am familiar with all three of those schools also so you are not the only nerd in the group. Welcome to the club.

All of that aside, a schedule of at UCF, at Illinois, potentially Florida and Uconn/Xavier, and neutral site vs. Temple is a very respectable slate.

I just wish there was one good OoC game at the Watsco. All of those are neutral or on the road. At least we get Louisville at home to start the season.

It is a huge step forward compared to last season. They are missing a marquee non-conference home game.

Advertisement

EVERY TEAM in the country has games against unknown teams. Cannot play all 31 games vs name teams.

EVERY TEAM in the country has games against unknown teams. Cannot play all 31 games vs name teams.

So you did say WHO? LOL.

Just because other teams or people do it does not make it acceptable. As bad as those three games are, in fairness, I have seen other teams non-conference schedule and they are far worse.

In fairness to the kids, when you recruit them and tell them you are going to prepare them for the pros, you should be scheduling tougher competition as there are no nights off in the pros.

Iron sharpens iron. Only the strong survive.

So you did say WHO? LOL.

Just because other teams or people do it does not make it acceptable. As bad as those three games are, in fairness, I have seen other teams non-conference schedule and they are far worse.

In fairness to the kids, when you recruit them and tell them you are going to prepare them for the pros, you should be scheduling tougher competition as there are no nights off in the pros.

WE WILL NEVER SCHEDULE all 31 games against name teams, nor should we.

WE WILL NEVER SCHEDULE all 31 games against name teams, nor should we.

Why, scared? Don't want to be the first one to start a trend. You prefer to follow instead of lead.

In fairness, just because they are a "name team" does not mean they are a good team.

Advertisement
So you did say WHO? LOL.

Dude, this isn't NCAA Basketball on the PS2, you are going to have filler games. Period. Remember when Georgetown was straight murdering themselves in OOC 4-5 years ago? It didn't end too well, why? Because they ran themselves into the ground before conference play even started. You want to have some challenges in OOC play, but you also want to have games in which you can safely work on specific concepts, toy with lineups, etc. That's what some of the weaker teams are for. This isn't football where you have four OOC games tops to schedule, you have triple that, depending on the year. Think about how difficult that is, especially if you are paying for mid majors to come to your barn.

Dude, this isn't NCAA Basketball on the PS2, you are going to have filler games. Period. Remember when Georgetown was straight murdering themselves in OOC 4-5 years ago? It didn't end too well, why? Because they ran themselves into the ground before conference play even started. You want to have some challenges in OOC play, but you also want to have games in which you can safely work on specific concepts, toy with lineups, etc. That's what some of the weaker teams are for. This isn't football where you have four OOC games tops to schedule, you have triple that, depending on the year. Think about how difficult that is, especially if you are paying for mid majors to come to your barn.

Let's not kid ourselves. There are conference games where you can "safely work on specific concepts, toy with lineups, etc.". Normally, that happens when you are up by 20 points.

I do remember when Georgetown was straight murdering themselves in the OOC 4-5 years ago? It didn't end too well, why? They didn't have the talent level on the roster to compete at that level. I applaud them for scheduling tough as iron sharpens iron. If they had 13 talented high D-1 players on the roster then that would not have been an issue.

Miami recruits at a talent level to play a better non-conference schedule. The only thing holding Miami back is their desire not to use all 13 scholarships. When you recruit kids to your school with the promise of preparing them for the pros then playing a tough OOC schedule should be part of the package.

FYI, yes. When I played NCAA basketball, I always choose the brutal schedule because of my competitive nature and I recruited at a very high level. LOL. Dude, I am not mad at you for remembering that. That was a good one.

I understand your philosophy and respect your opinion but I disagree with it because I believe iron sharpens iron.

Temple through the eyes of Jon Rothstein:

Should be a good game in Brooklyn and of course a Miami win. GO CANES.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back