Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

I was able to lock it in at Georgia -15. What gets me about this game is everyone is talking about how wronged FSU feels, meanwhile Georgia is over here feeling every bit as angry, if not more, than FSU over missing the playoff. They just aren’t whining about it like the Noles. Plus, I think Kirby got the memo from Sankey to send a message to the Noles. I’m not just saying this because I hate FSU, but I honestly think this game is going to be a massacre.
Agreed but not sure the motivation even matters. This is UGA first string vs fsu second string. And I’m guessing fsu doesn’t have much depth given their fast rise from hot garbage 3 years ago

Advertisement
Advertisement
Maybe you’re right. Maybe he sucks. That’s not really the point. He was the star of their class last year. It’s not only Hykeem from that class that has gotten virtually no significant play this year. In contrast to our freshman class that had Bain, Mauigoa, and Mark Fletcher that all had significant roles.

We needed WRs in the class last year and we wanted him. He made his decision and I am simply pointing out that I don’t think it’s going to work out the way he thought it might.
Hykeem was definitely overrated by the recruiting sites. He was a 5 star talent in terms of raw ability, size and athleticism but anyone who saw him play in high school knew he needed a lot of work. He’s one of the kids that stayed at his home high school instead of transferring to one of the big recruiting high schools. That’s cool and all but Stranahan isn’t really known for having good teams let alone producing D1 talent. “Hykeem, catch the ball!” was likely the extent of his coaching. The #4 receiver in the class should be ready to contribute right away and Williams wasn’t anywhere near ready. He could eventually be a really good player but he’s likely still learning how to play and getting used to not being the best player, by a mile, on his team.

Well he did play 15 seasons at FSU…longevity award?

Grandpa Cam McCormick said, "those are rookie numbers."

Cam's first season of college football was in 2017. For context, Mark Richt was coaching us! Incoming players like Armando Blount were in fifth grade!!!

If anyone deserves the longevity award, it's this fooking guy. When his career is finished, he will have played three more seasons than Travis.

Grandpa Cam McCormick said, "those are rookie numbers."

Cam's first season of college football was in 2017. For context, Mark Richt was coaching us! Incoming players like Armando Blount were in fifth grade!!!

If anyone deserves the longevity award, it's this fooking guy. When his career is finished, he will have played three more seasons than Travis.
Yea man, this stuff is getting totally out of hand now. Dudes are about to be filing for AARP membership by the time they leave college football. Somebody posed the question the other day, “What’s stopping the NCAA from raising the years of eligibility by another 1-2 years?” The way they’re looking at it, the longer they can keep some of these stars in CFB the better it is for them.

Why. We are all brothers in Florida man
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Advertisement
Hykeem was definitely overrated by the recruiting sites. He was a 5 star talent in terms of raw ability, size and athleticism but anyone who saw him play in high school knew he needed a lot of work. He’s one of the kids that stayed at his home high school instead of transferring to one of the big recruiting high schools. That’s cool and all but Stranahan isn’t really known for having good teams let alone producing D1 talent. “Hykeem, catch the ball!” was likely the extent of his coaching. The #4 receiver in the class should be ready to contribute right away and Williams wasn’t anywhere near ready. He could eventually be a really good player but he’s likely still learning how to play and getting used to not being the best player, by a mile, on his team.
Maybe overrated, but being a backup freshman receiver on an undefeated team with first round picks isn't the best way to know exactly. Inniss, Jalen Brown, and Di ckey barely even had stats. Had they came here, everyone would be screaming that they are busts. Guys like Carnell Tate, Jalen Hale, and Zachariah Branch were only moderately successful. All of these guys were considered to be big time prospects. They weren't ready, just yet.

Maybe overrated, but being a backup freshman receiver on an undefeated team with first round picks isn't the best way to know exactly. Inniss, Jalen Brown, and Di ckey barely even had stats. Had they came here, everyone would be screaming that they are busts. Guys like Carnell Tate, Jalen Hale, and Zachariah Branch were only moderately successful. All of these guys were considered to be big time prospects. They weren't ready, just yet.
Fans don't even allow our players to get some playing time before they want them to get passed on the depth chart by an incoming freshman. They get a little too caught up in the recruiting hype and assume every new guy is an improvement over the guy we have already. Still, Hykeem Williams was not ready to compete at the P5 level right out of school like most other 5 star receivers are. I wouldn't label him or any other freshman a bust yet though.

Fans don't even allow our players to get some playing time before they want them to get passed on the depth chart by an incoming freshman. They get a little too caught up in the recruiting hype and assume every new guy is an improvement over the guy we have already. Still, Hykeem Williams was not ready to compete at the P5 level right out of school like most other 5 star receivers are. I wouldn't label him or any other freshman a bust yet though.

Shiny new toy syndrome + "what have you done for me lately" fan mentality. Happens every year, in a every major fanbase.

That said, he's a Nole and so I wish him nothing but the worst and hope he continues to underwhelm.

Advertisement

I feel like most WRs that are good, they get on the field as freshman unless the room is already stacked.

Yes. And don't forget about hypothetical position changes...

This whole crazy hot-take society right now...If kids are not producing in their first 18 months, they are a bust...but at the same time, some guys like to hold on to the high school recruiting ranking to tell you that a kid is GOING TO be good soon, including transfers.

It's just too weird.

Sign talent. Develop talent. Coach talent. That's all I care about. Some guys will be ready to play in the first year. Other guys will take longer.

And if the players get impatient, they know how to use the Portal. The FANS getting impatient is just silly.

Advertisement
Yes. And don't forget about hypothetical position changes...

This whole crazy hot-take society right now...If kids are not producing in their first 18 months, they are a bust...but at the same time, some guys like to hold on to the high school recruiting ranking to tell you that a kid is GOING TO be good soon, including transfers.

It's just too weird.

Sign talent. Develop talent. Coach talent. That's all I care about. Some guys will be ready to play in the first year. Other guys will take longer.

And if the players get impatient, they know how to use the Portal. The FANS getting impatient is just silly.
I think my original post about Hykeem not starting on their orange bowl depth chart got taken out of context tbh. The point in the post was that their top 2 receivers are out and he still doesn’t get the start. I firmly believe (And I could very well be wrong) that if he was here and George and Young were both out that Hykeem would get a shot here. I’m not saying he’s the next big WR and I’m not saying he’s a JAG. My statement was just that a 5-star WR goes to FSU, plays in 4 games which I believe burns his redshirt, and still doesn’t get the start in the bowl game with half their offense opting out. IMO, that would be enough to sway the opinion of the next WR that wants to see playing time quickly from going with FSU, especially when compared to how Mario has proven that he will play freshmen.

Advertisement
Back