Tears Nole Tears (“Offcial”)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
8E4EA3A2-AE96-43C5-A889-F26BAC24A37A.jpeg

46C0C378-1A4B-4C38-BD3C-19756F990447.jpeg

Kidding aside, do you think it might be a sustainable operating model? Not for one year, but permanently having the majority of each year’s signings to be portal players? It would seem that with portal players you would have:

1) More film and be able to better gauge their potential at a P5 level
2) They are older by default and don’t have to acclimate to college, nor need to gain weight in a college S&C program
Remains to be seen. When the portal hits a steady state, the question is can you get enough portal talent to operate that way. Since the portal is still relatively new and because of the covid year, there's extra portal volume. More players in the system than normal, so also more transfers. Should drop in future years. How many desirable players will actually be in the portal when that happens? How many teams can the portal sustain?

Also, another point about the portal. A high school Initial counter gets you, in theory, 3-4 years of a player. A portal IC gets you 1-3 years. By definition these ICs necessarily lead to more churn. If the IC limits return, that will make building a roster through the portal more difficult long term (although I doubt a meaningful IC limit returns).

In 2 years you'll provably get your answer. Programs like Bama will continue to recruit majority HS and top off via the portal. That seems to be the route Mario will try to take. Will there be enough elite portal talent for FSU to continually use that as the primary method for recruiting? 2024 will be the year to judge I think.

Advertisement
Remains to be seen. When the portal hits a steady state, the question is can you get enough portal talent to operate that way. Since the portal is still relatively new and because of the covid year, there's extra portal volume. More players in the system than normal, so also more transfers. Should drop in future years. How many desirable players will actually be in the portal when that happens? How many teams can the portal sustain?

Also, another point about the portal. A high school Initial counter gets you, in theory, 3-4 years of a player. A portal IC gets you 1-3 years. By definition these ICs necessarily lead to more churn. If the IC limits return, that will make building a roster through the portal more difficult long term (although I doubt a meaningful IC limit returns).

In 2 years you'll provably get your answer. Programs like Bama will continue to recruit majority HS and top off via the portal. That seems to be the route Mario will try to take. Will there be enough elite portal talent for FSU to continually use that as the primary method for recruiting? 2024 will be the year to judge I think.

I don't see the portal being a sustainable roster management/winning method. There just won't be enough top end players every year, and you would have to land ALL (or most) of them. The portal has a huge benefit for filling roster holes and it's great you get college film on guys but a lot of the kids hitting the portal are jags ending up on lower tier teams to finish their careers. 40% don't even make another roster because they're not good enough. Add to that a lot of portal kids will be 1-2 years max rentals. You miss a few years (assuming you can even get nearly all top end talent portaling), with no recruiting to fall back on and the roster is ****ed.

The saddest part is it feels like we have but maybe 2 or 3 kids we overlapped in recruiting… we’ve been recruiting at such a high level that losing kids like Lew and Mikeska(sp) have been blips while they would be huge for them…

The separation from us and them will only grow going forward…

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back