No more walk-ons in college football?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I assume 'cos they worry teams will find a loophole around scholarships by offering NIL deals that can easily pay for tuition to walk ons.
Ya that’s already happening. Schools like Nebraska and Michigan are examples.

Rather than “ban walkons” they might be better off capping the playable rosters at some sub-100 threshold. This would still allow guys to walk on and play in the practice squad who would otherwise be ineligible to appear in a game unless their status was changed.

Advertisement
Why do State Schools have an advantage? Honest question. Do they have an advantage because they get more walk-ons or something currently? Or are they going to have more of an advantage if walk ons are limited in the future? Or is it that state schools are cheaper tuition and therefore more walk-ons can afford the tuition?

Why do State Schools have an advantage? Honest question. Do they have an advantage because they get more walk-ons or something currently? Or are they going to have more of an advantage if walk ons are limited in the future? Or is it that state schools are cheaper tuition and therefore more walk-ons can afford the tuition?

The bolded.

Cheaper tuition. Depends though I know USC has a clause that if your family makes less than 80k you get a full ride. Wonder if Miami has something like that

Advertisement
The bolded.
This.
The last sentence.

Think about it, state schools are bigger so naturally more people, naturally more people to choose from for walk ons. On top of that it’s easier to just enroll in a state school, so therefore they could have more walk ons. Hope that makes sense

Advertisement
Cheaper tuition. Depends though I know USC has a clause that if your family makes less than 80k you get a full ride. Wonder if Miami has something like that
Actually, if your family makes below a certain amount, your full financial need will be covered, it's not an actual full ride. You likely qualify for federal assistance if your familial income is that low, which will be then deducted from your cost of attendance, the institution then covers what remains.

You have to have an endowment significantly larger than the one we have in order for that program to make financial sense. USC's endowment is 7.2 billion, ours is around 1.4 billion. Never mind the fact that it's rare that a working class kid is admitted into those schools to begin with(24% of the USC student body is classified as "Low Income", I wonder how much of that 24% are student athletes, veteran students covered under the GI Bill, etc.). It is nice that the program exists, but it's also a paper tiger, outside of Vanderbilt using it to stack their baseball recruiting classes...

Last edited:
If this happens (and goes into effect this season) what happens to Jason Taylor’s son? Isn’t he a walkon?

I doubt it would happen for this season. Hypothetically, with the “scholarship crunch” that has been mentioned of us trying to get to 85, would we just ask another graduated player to leave?

It would certainly make practice interesting. Those walk ons hit it as hard as anyone and get beat like a drum in the process.

To me, this makes zero sense though. Nobody is or has been hiding **** as a walk on. They're there to be bodies to annihilate at times. You'll often find players with similar abilities to what you're facing that week. Usually you already have a guy like that in your depth chart, but you aren't going that hard against him for fear of injury. That's where these guys come in.

I always had crazy respect for the walk ons. They're literally sacrificing their bodies and time for the love of the game and to make you better. Unless you're lined up against them or friends / family, you'd never know their names. There's some tough SOB's too.

Advertisement
Back