No Eligibility Left

hotshot

Sophomore
Rodney Miller, Kam McGusty, Sam Waardenburg and Charlie Moore. Am I right in thinking these four will have exhausted all their eligibility to play college ball when the NCAAT ends?

That would mean Jordan Miller, Anthony Walker, Zay Wong, Bensley Joseph, Deng Gak, and Wooga Poplar can return. Along with the injured Harlond Beverly, the RS Jakai Robinson, and the four HS recruits -- Casey, Aire, Watson and Jovanovich.

Are any of our walk-ons taking up a scholly that could be used for next season? If so, that can be changed, no?

If this is correct, that would currently give us a 12 man roster -- one below the NCAA head count limit. Not too difficult to see some attrition that would open the prospect of a few key adds from the Portal. Either guys leaving some eligibility on the table (e.g., Wong), or others deciding to part (Gak?, Beverly?),

Advertisement
Rodney Miller, Kam McGusty, Sam Waardenburg and Charlie Moore. Am I right in thinking these four will have exhausted all their eligibility to play college ball when the NCAAT ends?

That would mean Jordan Miller, Anthony Walker, Zay Wong, Bensley Joseph, Deng Gak, and Wooga Poplar can return. Along with the injured Harlond Beverly, the RS Jakai Robinson, and the four HS recruits -- Casey, Aire, Watson and Jovanovich.

Are any of our walk-ons taking up a scholly that could be used for next season? If so, that can be changed, no?

If this is correct, that would currently give us a 12 man roster -- one below the NCAA head count limit. Not too difficult to see some attrition that would open the prospect of a few key adds from the Portal. Either guys leaving some eligibility on the table (e.g., Wong), or others deciding to part (Gak?, Beverly?),
I doubt Gak is back. Beverly is still with the team and pretty engaged on the bench. Guess we will see there.

I think they are now planning to take Reneau. That would leave a spot for 1 or 2 (If Wong goes pro) transfers. I think Wong and Miller should come back and really work on the 3’s. They would be a great 1-2 punch.

I doubt Gak is back. Beverly is still with the team and pretty engaged on the bench. Guess we will see there.

I think they are now planning to take Reneau. That would leave a spot for 1 or 2 (If Wong goes pro) transfers. I think Wong and Miller should come back and really work on the 3’s. They would be a great 1-2 punch.
I wonder if our current "run" in the NCAAT increases or decreases the odds of Wong and Miller returning?

I wonder if our current "run" in the NCAAT increases or decreases the odds of Wong and Miller returning?
It’s a good question. I don’t think either is getting drafted in the NBA right now. They will play professionally somewhere at some point.

I think Miller comes back. If he can quicken the release on his jump shot and start hitting 3’s, he’s got a game that will draw attention. Wong I think is 50/50. I think he’s definitely draftable if he was a more consistent 3 point shooter. Not sure if he can be or not. Hopefully, he is on tomorrow!

Advertisement
Wong’s performance against Kansas will go along way toward him coming back or not. His first weekend performance got him a chance to try out and probably a G league contract. He’s too athletic to ignore, but can’t shoot well enough to stick in the league. And as we’ve seen and discussed for years now, his performance last night proves he’s too much of an enigma to get drafted. He should come back next year and round out his game. Miller should 100% come back. He’s put himself on the radar. Just my opinion.

Wong’s performance against Kansas will go along way toward him coming back or not. His first weekend performance got him a chance to try out and probably a G league contract. He’s too athletic to ignore, but can’t shoot well enough to stick in the league. And as we’ve seen and discussed for years now, his performance last night proves he’s too much of an enigma to get drafted. He should come back next year and round out his game. Miller should 100% come back. He’s put himself on the radar. Just my opinion.
Nice evaluation. I love Jordan Miller's game a lot (he's got such great hands around the rim) but, like Wong, hard to see him sticking in the NBA. He's a tweener, doesn't have the outside shot to be a Guard, too small to play inside. Wong has everything except an outside shot (which is a huge issue when you're talking NBA).

Think both will end up in Europe (which ain't bad!). Wonder where they stand in their academics. That could enter into the picture if a degree is in sight. Or, not!

Nice evaluation. I love Jordan Miller's game a lot (he's got such great hands around the rim) but, like Wong, hard to see him sticking in the NBA. He's a tweener, doesn't have the outside shot to be a Guard, too small to play inside. Wong has everything except an outside shot (which is a huge issue when you're talking NBA).

Think both will end up in Europe (which ain't bad!). Wonder where they stand in their academics. That could enter into the picture if a degree is in sight. Or, not!
That’s why Miller has to come back. If he can extend his game and start knocking down 3’s he’ll get a real look. He just does everything.

Gak is gone, he was honored at Senior Day, even if he wants to play again, L isn't renewing that scholarship. It's obvious that his career is over at Miami.

Wong is likely gone.

Jordan Miller appears to be very happy at Miami and wants to come back.

Wooga, Walker, Joseph and Robinson are coming back, barring them being frustrated with playing time(Which with the graduations shouldn't be, they will be able to eat a ton of minutes)

Add the 4 incoming freshmen and you have a solid core to work with. Supplement that with 2-3 solid transfers, and it's safe to say that Miami should be favorites to return to the tournament. Miami gets a couple of high end transfers and we may have another similar run on our hands. Miami is also in the hunt for some guys on the recruiting trail for the next cycle so there's that. Memphis being accused of some nasty violations may make getting transfers a bit easier. That program may fall apart.

Advertisement
Does NIL money come into play? Elite eight run could lead to a little cash for guys like miller and Wong. Might prefer to stay in Miami than play overseas

It’s a good question. I don’t think either is getting drafted in the NBA right now. They will play professionally somewhere at some point.

I think Miller comes back. If he can quicken the release on his jump shot and start hitting 3’s, he’s got a game that will draw attention. Wong I think is 50/50. I think he’s definitely draftable if he was a more consistent 3 point shooter. Not sure if he can be or not. Hopefully, he is on tomorrow!
Miller reminds me of Draymond Green and I think he’s the team’s top pro prospect. Just my eye test of overall game.

He’d benefit from being one of our best 2 players instead of one of our best 4. McGusty will not be there to have a hot game and score 27 so Wong could average 20+. If he can manage that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back