Njoku declares for draft; Kaaya decision next

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami tight end David Njoku announced that he was heading towards the next level after the Canes' bowl win over West Virginia.

[TWEET]814312856913059840[/TWEET]

The announcement was not a surprise, as sources told CanesInSight.com in November that redshirt sophomore David Njoku was leaning towards declaring for the NFL draft. Njoku got a top-two round grade from the NFL Draft advisory committee.

Njoku has had a superb season for the Hurricanes, tallying 43 receptions for 698 yards and 8 touchdowns. He has career numbers of 63 catches, 1,060 yards, and 9 touchdowns. Scouts are intrigued by his combination of size (6-5, 245) and speed. The product of Cedar Grove High School in New Jersey doubles as a high jumper for Miami's track team.

Sources told CanesInSight that he has had his eye on the next level all season, and that his strong finish of 7 touchdowns over the last 6 games sealed the deal.

Now Miami will wait for Brad Kaaya to announce his intentions. A source close to him said that he will fly home to California on Thursday morning to speak with his family and then make a decision shortly after. He should have his decision made by the weekend, but I am not sure when an official announcement might come. Sources indicate that he has played his final game as a Hurricane in all likelihood.

Advertisement
I get njoku going early. I don't see how Kayaa can go. When he's on he's great but man was he inconsistent all year. I don't see Kayaa going in top 3 rounds

Can't even be mad. Thank you to him for his time at Miami and for helping win this bowl. Can't wait for him to get his money and become the next pro bowl TE from Miami.

Herndon next .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaaya makes himself millions with a good year next year. I'm talking winning some big games... Winning one bowl game isn't exactly a resume builder. He needs to win some real games, and win the **** Coastal, at least. Right now he's a talented guy, but has never won the big one. This, while a good win, wasn't exactly a groundbreaking win.

Advertisement
Do you're thing my man. Shockey, Winslow, Olsen, Graham, Walford, NJoku...flows off the tongue.

Advertisement
Kaaya should return his NFL stock is not that high right now and he would benefit way more returning than leaving in so many ways, their are still things he needs to prove as a college QB and things he can improve on as a QB next season personally and with the team.

Guaranteed money in the NFL > anything Kaaya would make after the first 3 rounds.

We actually have a pretty favorable schedule next year plus a very good chance to have much improved offensive line. I really, really hope Kaaya doesn't leave early just to be a second day pick when his upside is much more.

Advertisement
Kaaya makes himself millions with a good year next year. I'm talking winning some big games... Winning one bowl game isn't exactly a resume builder. He needs to win some real games, and win the **** Coastal, at least. Right now he's a talented guy, but has never won the big one. This, while a good win, wasn't exactly a groundbreaking win.

I wouldn't low ball this win too much LOL WVU is no joke and this was our 1st bowl win in over 10 years so man hate to tell you this but its a ground breaking program win, but what most canes fans really wanted to see this season was a win against FSU and make the acc championship game finally for the first time ever which are two things that are never easy especially with a new coaching staff but I can see it happening soon we just need patience and hopefully Kaaya returns and takes us to the promise land which is the acc title game lol.

I question any kid that would turn down the chance at playing tight end here when there's reasonable playing time available

I will root against Kaaya in the NFL if he leaves. Njoku obviously should go.

Da fug? Cmon mane

Dan Morgan, Santana Moss, and Reggie Wayne all played their senior years at Miami but Kaaya needs to leave!

Today's bargaining agreement does not give staying much incentive. I want Kaaya to stay but if he leaves he is still Family for life. Kid stuck with his commitment after everyone else figured out he was good. He was our only bright spot for two years. After watching Melvin, I will never fault a kid for leaving early. May the day come again where EVERY 3rd year Cane can leave and get drafted.

Advertisement
Njoku will be good in the NFL imagine how his numbers would be if kayaa didn't struggle half the year. This Miami team have alot of NFL talent on it.

My sources indicate that Kaaya packed all his **** when he went to the airport to fly home.

Kaaya has improved over the year. Last 5 games 14 TD's - 1 Int

If he comes back, works on footwork/Pocket presence he can regain his draft stock.

Advertisement
Back