Njoku and other eligible WRs

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
I'm trying to make all of my posts forward looking, but this deserves a "come on, man."

Njoku should not be relegated to a decoy out of the slot. And, if he is, we need to see MORE clear outs that get guys (running behind him) chunk yardage. I had been saying before this game that we'd see plays and formations we hadn't previously seen. They showed them. Seemingly out of rhythm and timing, but they were there.

What we didn't see was as much 4-Vert as I had hoped. With two seam routes at their Safeties, Kaaya would not have needed the Dallas Cowboys' OL to stay upright, make those reads and throws. Every excuse revolves around OL. So, why not go with quick hitters, combination routes in the middle of the field? Almost everything went outside the hashes.

Why did we fail to test Herndon and Njoku's ability to win one on one battles? Berrios made a great punt return (should have been a TD), but this is why you can't play him outside. On more than one occasion, the play was for him to come underneath in a clearout. He could not create separation in the Split End role. So, we keep Njoku in the slot, bracketed, and as a decoy? Why didn't we test Ammon Richards one on one when it was there? Coley played a very good game for us, but we have other guys who can make plays in the passing game. By the way, in the 3rd quarter, Coley was running free down the right hash and Kaaya opted to throw to the outside WR. Big missed play I haven't yet heard mention.

The point is we better hope that personnel grouping is adjusted and perhaps give Njoku, who is an NFL TE, different looks and opportunities that others are getting. FSU's TEs did well against UNC. Herndon and Njoku are on two levels above those players right now. So, we shall see.

Advertisement
Is the play with Coley the one where Berrios got PI'd then got an offsetting penalty? I was on that side of the field and when Kaaya first released it I up my hands up because I thought it was going to be a Coley TD.

Is the play with Coley the one where Berrios got PI'd then got an offsetting penalty? I was on that side of the field and when Kaaya first released it I up my hands up because I thought it was going to be a Coley TD.

Yes, that play. Coley was running free and seemed confused when the ball went sailing over his head (toward Berrios).

Yeah that was the play. I saw that, too.

BTW why is your hand on the guy's facemask when you're a WR? WTF???

Richt didn't adjust at all. He's either extremely rusty or incapable of calling plays in today's game.

That was Nix level bad last night.

As far as WRs, Coley and Richards should only be off the field when they need a rest.

Advertisement
I'm with you OP. All season I've been raising similar concerns about Richt's playcalling but I was assured he was just "saving the playbook". So much for that theory.

Lu
In your opinion does Richt does not see this or does he not trust his players. I just watch the game, but I was wondering where the TE usage was.

Brad Kaaya just doesn't have the IT factor and the will power to get it done. With other highly praised cfb QBs you can see them take over and put their offense in scoring position, on EVERY clutch drive that matters back to back to back. Brad Kaaya has never been able to do that at any point so far in his UM cfb career. What I have seen is more like 3 and outs back to back to back with some NFL level throws sprinkled in between.

Without Braxton Berrios's PR to get us already in scoring position, do any of us really believe Brad Kaaya was going to move the ball up the field and score??.... I didn't.

Last edited:
Advertisement
One thing announcers mentioned in regards to Richt playcalling, is that Richt said he was unaccustomed to calling from the sidelines. Not sure how much it matters, but maybe he is not seeing things as clearly down there.

Berrios is a bum.. don't even match #8 seriously this scoundrel dropped several tough catches that could have moved the chains for BK..

Our offense pooped the bed big time. Nothing else can be said. Lu you can spin this a milliion ways honestly.. Not me..

Yes, that play. Coley was running free and seemed confused when the ball went sailing over his head (toward Berrios).

Berrios and coley were in the same area. They were like right next to each other. Somebody ran the wrong route.

This site is full of overreactors The jury is still out on Richt as a play caller. But calling Berrios a bum? Kaaya was the one to throw a perfect pass on 4th down that should have tied the game. Is he a bum too?

Advertisement
This boggles my mind, WE HAVE 2 NFL TE'S but we don't use them

This site is full of overreactors The jury is still out on Richt as a play caller. But calling Berrios a bum? Kaaya was the one to throw a perfect pass on 4th down that should have tied the game. Is he a bum too?

Berrios isnt very good. Kaaya threw him 2 or 3 passes that were right in the hands and he didnt catch it. Was bailed out a few times by calls.

Lu
In your opinion does Richt does not see this or does he not trust his players. I just watch the game, but I was wondering where the TE usage was.

Don't have any good opinion on this. I'm as confused as anyone as to some of the stuff that was decided. It was disjointed and grabby bag. As mentioned on another thread, I-Form and Coker-T late in the game to run into the teeth of a defense expecting run? Could be lack of trust in OL, Kaaya or who knows.

Advertisement

Easy, man. I'm not calling him a bum. I haven't and still am not a fan of using him as a SE against better teams. I don't see the matchup. Maybe in the NFL with their rules that'd work better.

Our shortcomings on offense just don't make sense.

****, I could be a successful playcaller with this O. Too many capable players.

No knock on Berrios, but he never should have been recruited. He's not, historically anyway, UM talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back