NIL deals for preferred walk-ons.

24/7canes

Recruit
Was wondering how this might work in our favor. We all know our admission here is not cheap so was wondering if we had a kid we really liked but were crunched on numbers could we get him an Nil deal so he could pay his own way for year 1 if we need him to do that until we could get him on ship the following year. TIA.

Advertisement
It’s not a bad idea. At the very least, pay for the difference a comparable state school would charge. State schools get tons of walk ons compared to us

Was wondering how this might work in our favor. We all know our admission here is not cheap so was wondering if we had a kid we really liked but were crunched on numbers could we get him an Nil deal so he could pay his own way for year 1 if we need him to do that until we could get him on ship the following year. TIA.
Is there any limit on preferred walkons? That was my concern that I voiced last month...that Alabama might use the NIL to bring in 80-90 extra four star players.

No idea. Its definitely a gray area that could be taken advantage of.
Is there any limit on preferred walkons? That was my concern that I voiced last month...that Alabama might use the NIL to bring in 80-90 extra four star players.
Yes - I think it is 85 scholar ships and 20 Walk - on for a total of 105.

Advertisement
They're doing it now, but not to that extent. They've signed over 25 for like the past 7 cycles except for 1. Apparently a church covers tuition for their "walk-ons".

Emmert doesn't care what they do. I'm sure it would be a different story if we did.

They're doing it now, but not to that extent. They've signed over 25 for like the past 7 cycles except for 1. Apparently a church covers tuition for their "walk-ons".

Emmert doesn't care what they do. I'm sure it would be a different story if we did.
I’d be curious what the reaction would be if the entire ESPN Top 300 signed with Alabama...either as scholarship players or walkons. After all, if every player is making $100K plus per year on NIL deals then tuition costs become an afterthought for “walkons”.

I’d be curious what the reaction would be if the entire ESPN Top 300 signed with Alabama...either as scholarship players or walkons. After all, if every player is making $100K plus per year on NIL deals then tuition costs become an afterthought for “walkons”.
I think recruits actually want to play. Even at Bama.

Advertisement
105 can attend camp, no limit for the actual season but UM at least used to cap the total size to 115. Other schools like Nebraska will historically have 130+
I wonder if an Alabama could get around it by the following means:

- Players 116-300 attend a parallel, off-campus camp
- The off-campus camp is held at secondary (but still quite comprehensive) private facilities owned and run by Saban Motor Cars
- The array of former head coaches working as analysts run the parallel, off-campus camp. Purely as "volunteers"
- The analysts report to Saban and his coaching staff each night and compare notes, goals, progress
- The two rosters are merged post camp

- The off-campus camp is held at secondary (but still quite comprehensive) private facilities owned and run by Saban Motor Cars
- The array of former head coaches working as analysts run the parallel, off-campus camp. Purely as "volunteers"
- The analysts report to Saban and his coaching staff each night and compare notes, goals, progress
I think that’s called UAB

105 can attend camp, no limit for the actual season but UM at least used to cap the total size to 115. Other schools like Nebraska will historically have 130+
Can we do this for our baseball players? basically put all our players on scholarship? Or is NIL only for football?

Advertisement

I would be less worried about Bama and more worried about a team with actual large amounts of money to spare, doing this. Like Texas or TAMU.

105 is the camp number and that is not easy at a very expensive private school like Miami.

NIL deals are being made with the LifeWallet Campaign. The PWO TE got one and I heard others are as they just may not be “announced” like the bigger named player. They are also not going with the same price tag.

Subbing a NIL deal for tuition to entice players to Miami is likely never happening (think the BYU deal). Miami is $75k a year. BYU is under $8k and even less for church members. Due the NCAA rule that amount needs to match the value of the actual player. We would need these players to be social media influencers. Their social media would have to support the $75k price tag year after year. Does this make sense?

It is MUCH easier to do at a BYU or even FL state school than a private Miami. Also, remember the NCAA is investigating the BYU deal (along with our America’s Top Team deal).

Can you imagine the NCAA if 20-30 PWOs and regular walk on were signing $75k contracts? College football would lose their mind.

Solid thought but…. Just not happening any time soon

Advertisement
One of the reasons you do not see as many walkons as you use to is because of title IX.
Title IX states that a walkon for football and Men's basketball will count like a scholarship player in the count for equality in women sports.

Advertisement
Back